Sign in to follow this  
ChrisJake

MSFS CTD after months of working perfectly...

I have been using MSFS since last November and it has performed perfectly.   All of a sudden I'm getting CTD's and I've been trying to get to the bottom of it.  I'm now approaching the point of uninstalling and reinstalling the sim, so I wanted to post this here to see if anyone has any suggestions before I take that plunge...

I've updated Win10, I've updated and repaired the sim, I've updated MS Store, I've updated my video drivers, I've emptied out my Community folder and still get CTDs.

MSFS still starts up fine and I can get to the main menu and move around to all other menus.   I can also do the C152 training.   I cannot spawn at any airport with any aircraft and go "ready-to-fly"...I get a CTD as soon as the progress bar completes and I start to head for the airport I've chosen.  This happens no matter the airport or aircraft.

I realized that when I successfully start the C152 training that the instructor voice is female, but when I spawn at an airport the ATC voice is male.   I also recall recently that when starting a flight I would hear 2 ATC and/or pilot voices talking over one another and clearing me, which never happened before......could the voices in MSFS be corrupted?

I found that one of the fixes for these CTDs is to remove and reinstall the US-English language pack in Win10, but mine is greyed out and cannot be uninstalled.  I was able to add the CA-English language pack and then had both CA and US installed, I force-removed US-English via Win PowerShell, but it still showed as installed in control panel even tho PowerShell showed CA-English as the only language. I then deleted CA-English so that US-English was the only one showing in PowerShell.....I'm just not sure I actually removed and reinstalled it.  In googling this issue I found that the default language of the pc cannot be removed. 

Either way, CTDs still occur when trying to spawn to fly.

Does anyone have and insight or thoughts on this?  Is it time for a uninstall/reinstall?

Thanks.

Having the same, but intermittent, roughly 1 in 4 load ups.

Started after the last MSFS update.

CTD just as the loading scenario blue line gets to the far right & the airfield is about to appear. Goes CTD instead. Have taken a couple of recent additions to Community folder out but can't pinpoint it yet.

T45

Thanks for responding....

Thats how mine started, it would happen intermittently at first and I would be able to get flights in.  I originally thought it was a bad mod as I would delete recent additions and it would work fine.  Now its gotten to the point that it just wont load up.   The last update definitely seemed to make it worse.

Does your training module work ok?

Just tried another test....  changed the language in the sim to Spanish and still get the CTD when spawning to fly.   Both the C152 and A320 training works fine with any language.

I am getting CTD without error as well.  Just started with last update.  CTD is random, but happens more than not.  It happens about 5 minutes or so into a flight.  Very frustrating.

Danny

Interesting development today on random CTD in MSFS2020.  I updated my Nvidia driver to the latest release (released today) and have spent the morning flying with no CTDs.  I can only hope the driver change fixed the CTD issue.  Anyway, good for now.

Danny

Hi  I am so pleased I am not alone with this problem!  I too found everything Ok until MSFS started CTD with no warning.    My problem is that everything loads Ok, the aircraft takes off but after about a minute the screen freezes & a few seconds later CTD.   This happens with all aircraft  & any airfield I choose.  This happens about 95% of the time - sometimes it seems OK.  This is what I have done:  Removed all add ons.  Uninstalled & re-installed MSFS - all 80Gb of it!   Changed the drive from an SSD (H) to SSD (C) & re-installed.   Changed the page file amounts as suggested.  Updated my graphics card to the latest driver (466.79)  The re-install is vanilla - nothing added.  Windows 10 is fully updated.  MSFS is fully updated.  Steam has verified the files on the program.  My card is a Geforce GTX 1660 Super OC with 6gb.   A benchmark program says my card runs at 97fps on Ultra.   When I select Ultra in the MSFS it has no problems - same if I choose Medium.   I set my Nvidia card to lock at 30fps max as suggested.  V Sync on or off has no effect.  My other program is DCS World.  With the Syria map I can fly at 500knots at 0 feet over a city with no problem.  I am getting pretty fed up with this & surely ASOS or someone reads these forum letters.   Anybody got any ideas to try that I haven't mentioned?    ChrisJD

My FSX on Windows 10 worked good until a week ago. Now my PMDG 747 wont load past the free flight screen. I've narrowed the problem to Microsoft's SP 2. If I uninstall SP2 it loads but no instruments or control surfaces. 

I don't know how to fix this.