Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

2 waypoints with the same name?

Hi guys,

On this occasion I set the arrival procedure to LHBP in the 787 MCDU as instructed by the ATC (VOR DME 31R via TPS VOR, which was the predefined waypoint in the MCDU) and the a/c started a steep left turn.

I thought "the usual autopilot bug" and decided to manually direct the a/c on the approach route.

Then I noticed that the TPS waypoint the autopilot intended to track was NOT the TPS VOR on the approach path, it was another TPS VOR located about 190 miles west instead of 15 miles east.

I was using the default 787 with the default route set by the sim (IFR high altitude airways) and never made any change to the waypoint data.

Have you ever noticed this? I don't even know if it's worth opening a ticket, they have received already more than 100,000.

P.S. I know, I was going too fast below 10,000 ft but the workload is so heavy when the A/P does not work 😛

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

It's not at all uncommon to see VORs with the same identifier; what is uncommon is to see them so close. Usually they are in different hemispheres. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Then I noticed that the TPS waypoint the autopilot intended to track was NOT the TPS VOR on the approach path, it was another TPS VOR located about 190 miles west instead of 15 miles east.

Duplicate waypoint names are not uncommon in nav databases.  For example the waypoint of BUNKA in the USA state of Indiana has a duplicate name with BUNKA, a waypoint in the African country of Ivory Coast. 

The GPS avionics from Reality XP use the actual Garmin Trainers and there is logic built into Garmin aviation GPS models and the related trainers to recognize a waypoint name has a duplicate and require you to choose between them before you can finish entering the waypoint.  They are usually in different regions of the world.  What seems unusual here is the close proximity.  Were you able to confirm on charts?

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

28 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Were you able to confirm on charts?

The "good" one is there and reported in the approach chart. Which source can I use to locate the "odd" one 190 nm west?

Thanks 🙂

image.png

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

36 minutes ago, fppilot said:

The GPS avionics from Reality XP use the actual Garmin Trainers and there is logic built into Garmin aviation GPS models and the related trainers to recognize a waypoint name has a duplicate and require you to choose between them before you can finish entering the waypoint.

I don't think that's a particularly unique function nor do I understand the relevance here to RXP with the OP's issue; all the stock avionics systems in the sim do conflict resolution as well. Additionally, since this is a procedure, the user would never have been prompted because the procedure already has the correct fixes (even on a Garmin unit).

It's possible that the main menu flight plan generation system picked the wrong fix here, or that the navdata is bad and somehow has two TPS VORs. @MrFuzzy you should be able to check by trying to manually add TPS to the enroute part of the flightplan from the FMS, and it should give you the disambiguation screen with some details on each fix.

-Matt | Working Title

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

I don't think that's a particularly unique function nor do I understand the relevance here to RXP with the OP's issue; all the stock avionics systems in the sim do conflict resolution as well. Additionally, since this is a procedure, the user would never have been prompted because the procedure already has the correct fixes (even on a Garmin unit).

Matt.  I was only relating how duplicates are handled in the GPS units themselves (real world) based on my experience with the Garmin Trainers as the foundation for RXP.  That is where my expereince on duplicates lies.  There was no attempt in my message to make any statement other than that.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

9 hours ago, MattNischan said:

It's possible that the main menu flight plan generation system picked the wrong fix here, or that the navdata is bad and somehow has two TPS VORs. @MrFuzzy you should be able to check by trying to manually add TPS to the enroute part of the flightplan from the FMS, and it should give you the disambiguation screen with some details on each fix.

-Matt | Working Title

OK, I tried that and there are two waypoints very close to each other near LHBP, a TPS and a TPS12 at respectively 8.4 and 14.6 nm distance.

No trace of the TPS waypoint without number about190 nm west of the airport. I have to conclude that it's just one of the many random bugs of the A/P. 

image.png