Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Crosswinds opposite effect on aircraft.

Looks like after the last patch the wind sock and ATC/ground is in sync yet when taxing the aircraft I'm fighting the wind in the opposite direction.  Even on takeoff/landings the aircraft is pushed opposite of the wind direction seen from the wind sock. Anyone else seeing this?

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Yes I've seen it many times in MSGS. Truth to be told IRL occasionally I have witnessed when winds  blow  different directions along different parts of runway. But it was rare and not the case in MSFS. I think it's part of weather fixes  will in parts in next several updates 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Happens all the time - especially in mountainous areas. Wind will shear opposite directions at each end of the/a runway.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

9 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Happens all the time - especially in mountainous areas. Wind will shear opposite directions at each end of the/a runway.

This is a constant problem.  I clearly see from the wind sock the winds should be hitting the aircraft from the right yet I'm adjusting during taxi as if the winds are hitting the bird from the left.  Straight into the wind is not a problem (headwind or tailwind) it's that crosswind that's in reverse.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Hi Dillon,

I haven't checked just now in MSFS, but in past versions the wind is simulated as pushing the vertical tail surface.  If the wind is coming from the right the tail will be pushed to the left and the nose to the right.  Are you seeing something different?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I don't use ATIS since its always wrong in this game...and I dont bother looking at windsock to be perfectly honest as it's never really near where I'm at. So until they fix the Atis reporting and rwy assignments I just use the VFR map mod which tells me what the real time wind is and i decide which rwy is best...and using this method my nose always is pushed to the windward side as one would expect.

Edited by hangar

27 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Hi Dillon,

I haven't checked just now in MSFS, but in past versions the wind is simulated as pushing the vertical tail surface.  If the wind is coming from the right the tail will be pushed to the left and the nose to the right.  Are you seeing something different?

No, what I'm seeing is the wind coming from the right and the nose is fighting to stay to the left as if the wind is coming from the left.

FS2020 

I can't understand the major challenge Asobo is facing to make wind direction consistent in the simulation, since alpha! Why is so difficult? Do they use several memory variables for the same purpose, maybe with different TO/FROM interpretations? Only god knows!

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

This is a constant problem.  I clearly see from the wind sock the winds should be hitting the aircraft from the right yet I'm adjusting during taxi as if the winds are hitting the bird from the left.  Straight into the wind is not a problem (headwind or tailwind) it's that crosswind that's in reverse.

So which is right?  The windsock or the wind?

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, Mike777 said:

If the wind is coming from the right the tail will be pushed to the left and the nose to the right.  Are you seeing something different?

In my experience it does usually do this ok but I’ve also noticed the sock occasionally not following it.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

Ok have you tried using Unreal weather to see if you notice same issue(s)?

Just did a flight and Live weather was CAVU (should have been 700 OVC) so switched to Unreal and got accurate Metar(s) with the ceiling and wind was right where it was supposed to be. Oddly Live weather had been pretty good/accurate lately so not sure what changed....

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, Emerson67 said:

I can't understand the major challenge Asobo is facing to make wind direction consistent in the simulation, since alpha! Why is so difficult? Do they use several memory variables for the same purpose, maybe with different TO/FROM interpretations? Only god knows!

This has actually been a problem through a few versions of FS.  Since this sim is actively being worked on it's about time it get's resolved.  I'm not sure people actually understand what I'm talking about. Everyone should be able to see this as it's not new.

• Like 1

FS2020 

Just so we're all clear, if the wind is coming from the right then your nose should want to point to the right, or directly into the wind. I always fly using live weather and the plane has always reacted correctly in this regard. I have no weather add ons. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, decker89 said:

Just so we're all clear, if the wind is coming from the right then your nose should want to point to the right, or directly into the wind. I always fly using live weather and the plane has always reacted correctly in this regard. I have no weather add ons. 

Do not see that is the question.  
what is in the real wind is the question. When the MSFS windsock shows the wind from the west, but the effects from the wind are from the east has zero to do with correction.  It has to do with consistency of indicated vs actual within the sim itself (sorry, game).  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere