Sign in to follow this  
GaryGB

Help please befor I re-install..again

Guest pks1414

I seem to have lost the engine sound in spot view? or at least it is very very quiet. I hear the gear go up but I can only just make out the engine sounds. I just updated my SF260 and BeaverX and both of those are fine, engine sounds in all views. However with all the stock aircraft and the oddly enough the JF Tiger moth I can hear engine noise in the cockpit, and the wing view, just no sound when I switch to spot view. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas I have only just rebuilt everything and up until a point (and the trouble is I don't know when) all was going well

"Re-installing" should always be very very last resort...Most of the time, simply deleting (or renaming) the fsx.cfg file and allowing the sim to build a fresh copy will cure your ills.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

i don't have engine sounds in spot view either, and never have. I just assumed it was a quirk with FSX.Tony

Guest pks1414

As a last resort and just to make things even more confusing I have just done a clean install and guess what...its exactly the same, talk about baffled. The moment I put it into spot view I cannot hear a thing without turning the volume right up, then when you go back to cockpit it is incredibly loud. Both the SF260 and Aerosoft Beaver both have engine sounds in spot view?? am I going mad

>As a last resort and just to make things even more confusing>I have just done a clean install and guess what...its exactly>the same, talk about baffled. The moment I put it into spot>view I cannot hear a thing without turning the volume right>up, then when you go back to cockpit it is incredibly loud.>Both the SF260 and Aerosoft Beaver both have engine sounds in>spot view?? am I going madUnless you manually delete all of the configuration files that uninstalling does not remove, you've accomplished nothing...That was my point in the earlier post. The configuration files are - most often! - the problem to begin with...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Guys:Do you have Windows settings for your sound hardware and your driver(s) for your sound hardware configured for 5.1 surround sound?If so, do you have a separate physical "Center" speaker in addition to the Left Front and Right Front speakers to render the engine in Spot view?My Soundblaster Audigy drivers for example will downmix the Subwoofer into my other speakers, but does not to my knowledge allow down mixing the Center channel into my Left Front and Right Front speakers, so the Center channel sound will be missing in Spot view if there is no speaker there!Do you get sound in your Left and Right Front speakers if you pan with the hat switch in the "non-locked" Spot view around to the front of the aircraft?I was confused by this for a while when I first started tinkering with FSX, then I realized I've been happily using a "4-speaker only" bookshelf/home sound system for quite sometime that has (previous to FSX which provides full 5.1 positional sound) not needed a center channel speaker (or subwoofer) to render full frequency sound on most PC software I use!Also, be aware there are some "embedded" sound systems on motherboards which FSX is reported to have audio problems with, beside the fact that those types of sound "neigborhoods" steal clock cycles from the CPU (which otherwise needs to be maximally tied up with cranking FSX because of its single core rendering engine).Hope this helps!:-)GaryGB