Sign in to follow this  
The Flight Level

Next Generation Lighting for X-Plane - Last Effort?

Well, the improvements have started with the lighting. For me, it is just too little, too late, especially with the poor default scenery. I’m sure the number of devote followers is slowly on the decline, especially with all the improvements and mods now available for Flight Simulator.

Edited by Doering
  • Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

"Well, the improvements have started with the lighting. For me, it is just too little, too late, especially with the poor default scenery. I’m sure the number of devote followers is slowly on the decline, especially with all the improvements and mods now available for Flight Simulator"

Doering,

I believe that this is only one aspect that they are working on, and further developments will be teased or leaked in the coming months.

Admittedly, the default graphics leave a lot to be desired.

What is not desired and nor is it featured as yet, is the endless list of bugs and problems that are currently plaguing MSFS.

I would not be writing XPlane12 or 12 off just yet, and in the same realm is P3D which has to be fairly close to a major update itself.

Anybody who is writing off or uninstalling forever any platform in favour of a single one (whichever that may be) is being somewhat hasty to my mind.  There is still a lot to enjoy with each and every one of them

Regards

Tony

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Points well taken! I know they are working on 3D trees as well. Let’s see what they have in store for default scenery. Maybe I’ll be surprised, but my days of purchasing add on scenery are definitely over. Currently working on a Niagara Falls video. The Falls looked bad in the initial launch, but they are great now in addition to the Rainbow Bridge at the US - Canada border.

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

Hopefully without dragging this down into another XP vs MSFS debate: MSFS will always be the premium choice for people cherishing the visual experience of flying more than the realistic experience of operating an aircraft. Especially if you are into making videos, the choice is obvious and I am happy for everyone that enjoys his MSFS for that reason.

There are many folks that enjoy airplane movies like Die Hard 2 - I unfortunately can´t, because I know too much about real aviation and cringe with the unrealistic plot 😁.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• Like 2

It don't get thees "too late" comments. A lot of people complained about the lighting. Now they implemented major improvements in that regard and people say "it's too late". Should they not have done the improvements because it's too late, so why bother? I don't get it at all.

I for one like what I see in the teaser. I always thought that X-Plane - even without any other change - could look so much better with better lighting and lighting is one of the reasons, some other flight simulators look as good as they do. Considering the video is titled "Preview One", I expect more to come though. And like many others I hope for major improvements with weather, clouds and vegetation. I am very curious to see, what will be shown next.

I don't think the next version of X-Plane is that far away either. In recent years. Lamniar Research has been very hesitant to show anything that isn't almost done. They probably are trying to generate some hype with those teasers for a release in the not so distant future.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Doering said:

Well, the improvements have started with the lighting. For me, it is just too little, too late, especially with the poor default scenery. I’m sure the number of devote followers is slowly on the decline, especially with all the improvements and mods now available for Flight Simulator.

There is already a post about the new lighting, are you blind or a troll looking for empathy? Time to kick rocks and move on to your safe space in the MSFS forum!!!  

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I think its this great fear that xplane may do well, I dont know why...It not going anywhere.

• Like 1

Too late?  I guess we won’t be seeing you in these forums anymore. 

Best of luck with your choices. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Janov said:

There are many folks that enjoy airplane movies like Die Hard 2 - I unfortunately can´t, because I know too much about real aviation and cringe with the unrealistic plot 😁.

Moviemakers never get aviation right, so why bother in the first place? DH2 is still a good movie.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

There is already a topic for discussing this.. So please discuss there thanks.

• Like 2