Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

I just don't get it...

Maybe I'm getting too old or maybe Alzheimers is creeping up on me or dementia.  I just don't get it anymore.

Would somebody please explain to me the following commercial I saw on television this evening.

https://abancommercials.com/oscar-mayer/-aposkeep-oscar-sandwich-bed-apos-ad-commercial/139807/

Noel

• Like 3

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

That has to be one of the worst commercials I have seen in ages. Perhaps the intent is dreaming of a sandwich? who knows!

It's just a whimsical ad - to get your attention - which it certainly did - so don't overthink it... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

so don't overthink it...

I can't help it.  I'm a thinking person.  An ad like that insults my intelligence.  

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

It's all part of the effort to overcome brand-name CRS (Can't Remember Stuff). And it looks like it worked.   https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/report/2017/understanding-memory-in-advertising/  .

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I suspect they are trying to equate comfort with their brand, although it's a really cack way of going about it.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just another stupid commercial for me to ignore.  That's my take on it.

• Like 2

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

And....a good hint NOT to buy their product! 🌮

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich. Like Freud said. But other times... I mean, come on. Am I the only one who gets this? ;-)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

Am I the only one who gets this?

Probably not.  But this cranky old man still doesn't.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1

It's obviously about sex. Wait. Everybody else DOES see that, right? I mean, it's not just me?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

It's obviously about sex

I don't see it.  I'm 87 years old and sex has not been in my repertoire for quite a while.  All I see is woman being crushed by slices of ham.   But then I suppose commercials aren't meant for geriatrics except perhaps for AARP commercials.

Noel

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, stans said:

Just another stupid commercial for me to ignore.  That's my take on it.

Yep!

Its got a pretty obvious sexual innuendo, if you take a second to think about it.... 

(And if you are stopping to think about it, then the ad did its job of catching your attention)

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

23 hours ago, birdguy said:

Would somebody please explain to me the following commercial I saw on television this evening.

It's a social commentary on the role of evolving role of women both within the typical household and in the workplace. The woman is about to go to sleep, and falls down on a loaf of bread - because she is the bread winner. Now comes the ham - which represents the pork that permeates the decisions we make on a day to day basis. One slice falls down, and it's comforting - it's helping her get to sleep after a long stressful day at work. But then another slice falls down, and another - soon a tidal wave of ham. The weight of the pork becomes overwhelming and begins to crush her - she can't breathe. Just as the final drop of lifeforce drains from her soul, the cheese, lettuce and tomatoes come into view along with another slice of bread - the bread she worked so hard to win - and the entire stack of socioeconomic deli products bounces off her cold, dead body.

The pickle at the end, of course, represents the male, who is indifferent to the burden that she carries. 

It's all really quite obvious once you know what to look for. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by enright
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2