Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

I just don't get it...

I suppose I should have gone to college and become a psychologist or sociologist enright, but I didn't.  When Tim said it was all about sex I thought maybe, if it were cigarettes falling on her, because in all the movies I've ever seen after sex they always smoke a cigarette.  They never go to the kitchen and make a ham sandwich.

I would have thought the commercial's point was to buy Oscar Meyers sliced ham.  Take away the woman and I would have gotten the message.

I always thought commercials were simply made to sell a product, not to make social commentary as enrright did. 

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

7 hours ago, enright said:

It's a social commentary on the role of evolving role of women both within the typical household and in the workplace. The woman is about to go to sleep, and falls down on a loaf of bread - because she is the bread winner. Now comes the ham - which represents the pork that permeates the decisions we make on a day to day basis. One slice falls down, and it's comforting - it's helping her get to sleep after a long stressful day at work. But then another slice falls down, and another - soon a tidal wave of ham. The weight of the pork becomes overwhelming and begins to crush her - she can't breathe. Just as the final drop of lifeforce drains from her soul, the cheese, lettuce and tomatoes come into view along with another slice of bread - the bread she worked so hard to win - and the entire stack of socioeconomic deli products bounces off her cold, dead body.

The pickle at the end, of course, represents the male, who is indifferent to the burden that she carries. 

It's all really quite obvious once you know what to look for. 

Hope this helps.

[Tommy Chong voice on] Wow!  That's deep.  Far out, man. [Tommy Chong voice off].

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

18 hours ago, birdguy said:

When Tim said it was all about sex I thought maybe, if it were cigarettes falling on her, because in all the movies I've ever seen after sex they always smoke a cigarette.  They never go to the kitchen and make a ham sandwich.

ROFLMAO !!! Absolutely, ham sandwich afterwards. ! NOT. OMG! just fell off my chair laughing. Best laugh I've had in ages.

Edited by Penzoil3

I'll just say in Southern Illinois there may be cultural differences involving ham sandwiches.

Well Tim, maybe between thinly sliced pressed ham, 10 slices to a package, you buy at the lunch meat rack in the super market and a nice thick slice carved from the 10 pound ham you roasted yesterday.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Tired but happy from normal daily go make me a sammich chores for the guys at the office and then the guy at home.

hide.gif

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I am still firmly convinced that this bread + meat concoction should be more properly named a "handwich", since after all one holds it in their hand!

Only a "handwich" accidentally dropped on a sandy beach would thereafter be called a "sandwich!"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Changing the name would really upset the heirs of John Montagu.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

22 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Changing the name would really upset the heirs of John Montagu.

Wasn't he the "Duke of Earl"  Duke, Duke, Duke,  Duke of Earrrrl!   Maybe the Duke of Handwich?? 🌭  But is a hotdog really a sandwich?

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 6/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, Tim_Capps said:

I'll just say in Southern Illinois there may be cultural differences involving ham sandwiches.

Heh.  SE Missouri too!

The ad would have been more intriguing if someone took a big bite out of that sandwich right at the end of the commercial.  CHOMP, and then fade to black.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

Wasn't he the "Duke of Earl"  Duke, Duke, Duke,  Duke of Earrrrl!   Maybe the Duke of Handwich?? 🌭  But is a hotdog really a sandwich?

Yes, according to Merriam Webster..... 

"The word hot dog refers either to the sausage that you buy squeezed in a plastic package with 7 or so of its kind, or to the same sausage heated and served in a long split roll.

When it's served in the roll, it's also a sandwich.

We know: the idea that a hot dog is a sandwich is heresy to some of you. But given that the definition of sandwich is "two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between," there is no sensible way around it. If you want a meatball sandwich on a split roll to be a kind of sandwich, then you have to accept that a hot dog is also a kind of sandwich.

You could hinge your anti-hot-dog-as-sandwich argument on whether the hot dog sausage qualifies as a "filling," but if you choose to interpret filling narrowly as only "a food mixture used to fill pastry or sandwiches," rather than broadly as "something used to fill a cavity, container, or depression," then you're not going to allow any single-item filling to qualify a food item as a sandwich—which means there can be no thing as a peanut butter sandwich or a bologna (or even baloney) sandwich.

Hence, a hot dog is a sandwich."

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

What would you call a piece of bread between two slices of ham?  A hamwich?

Or a piece of cheese pressed between two slices of ham?   I've actually eaten that on more than one occasion.  

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, birdguy said:

What would you call a piece of bread between two slices of ham?  A hamwich?

Or a piece of cheese pressed between two slices of ham?   I've actually eaten that on more than one occasion.  

Noel

What if I eat a thick slice of turkey breast using only my hand?  Is it a handwich?  I do it all of the time.  I have yet to bite myself. 👌

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Actually I tend to call everything described here snacks.  Should I now be calling them snackwiches?

Noel

I call it "seefood".  See food-eat food-burp like crazy!  Have I earned my Oscar Mayer weenie whistle yet?

Had one as a kid, handed to me by "Little Oscar" himself!

images.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron