Sign in to follow this  
The Flight Level

PILOT’S Bringing Clipper to MSFS, Coming Soon

13 hours ago, Boeing_Driver said:

Sadly, only 13 of these fantastic aircraft were ever constructed and they are all gone now.

On a happier note, a full-sized mockup was constructed and can be visited in Foynes, Ireland;

Our Boeing 314 Clipper Flying Boat Replica (flyingboatmuseum.com)

Thanks for this info. Last time I visited Foynes there wasn't much to see, but this would be very much worthwile. As we already had a plan to visit Ireland the first possible opportunity in a spring or summer, I am already looking forward to a new visit!

17 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Can we get Clippie flying it?

clippy.gif

"Hi there! I see you're trying to complete this flight with all 4 engines still running.

...  Good luck with that!"

• Like 1

I was always interested in the long range navigation aspects of this type of flying. Wouldn't mind coming across an actual old article form someone who actually did this.

Many decades ago I flew a B200 medivac based in the arctic and we had an astro compass on board. The company to their credit made sure the captains had sufficient training to use it. (GPS was just coming into more common use but their insufficient satellites in orbit to get 24 coverage).Sitting up in the high 20s on a 3-4 hour leg we had lots of time to experiment with it and got somewhat decent with it. That said the crews on the 314 I would imagine had more primitive equipment but with great skill and experience and this was normal ops for them. if someone knows of such an article maybe they could post a link here.

For a few years before 2010 I put some time on the Canadair CL215 water bomber (boat type aircraft max weight on the water of 35,5000# though with a load of water scooped then up to 43,000#). The flying boats are such interesting aircraft.....as are round engines. I'd love to see PMDG bring one to market.

I will get the 314 if it comes to MSFS.

1 hour ago, dbw1 said:

I was always interested in the long range navigation aspects of this type of flying. Wouldn't mind coming across an actual old article form someone who actually did this.

]

"The Long Way Home" by Ed Dover from Pan Am. It's pretty close to what you're looking for. It's a book about the true story of a 314 that was on a regularly scheduled flight in the South Pacific, but ended up flying around the world while hiding from enemy formations after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Goes into a lot of detail on the flying, including navigation that was made extra challenging because they only had charts for the route they were planning to fly, not the 31,000 mile route in the wrong direction they ended up having to take. If you have a Kindle Unlimited account, it's included with it.

Eslader,

Many thanks. This looks interesting.

Dave

• Like 1

If I see free stuff on the Classified Ads forum, then can I pay with this?

cropped_the_quiet_man_euro_note_souvenir

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

8 hours ago, Fielder said:

If I see free stuff on the Classified Ads forum, then can I pay with this?

cropped_the_quiet_man_euro_note_souvenir

Those things haven't been worth anything since inflation spiked.