Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

How to Determine FSX Camera Positions?

Is there any easy way to determine the camera positions in FSX. So far I load a default camera set and then adjust the positions by trial and error for a new plane. How can we determine the reference_datum_position zero position location on the model in all three axes? I have used the wingspan info in the aircraft.cfg and just tried to scale the dimensions from there but determining the zero position is not easy. The "X" (lateral) zero is obvious. The "Z" (longitudinal)and "Y" vertical) are not. Resetting FSX after each trial setting is time consuming. There has got to be a better way. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Hi again, BobFirst observation: the custom cameras are in each aircraft.cfg. You only need to reload the AC to see the changes and that will be facilitated by assigning a key to "reload Aircraft"... I use Ctrl+F11 for that (and Ctrl+F12 to facilitate scenery reload). Make the assignments in settings > controlsThe bottom line is simply to use the adjustments that are maintained in a saved flight to make the desired changes to the camera definition. Take a look at how this works.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The initial/original camera def from my F-15 contains:{CameraDefinition.0}Title = "Dorsal unique_guid"Guid = {D7BD0968-F5B0-4d98-B0AF-1B57AFC000D1}--InitialZoom = .85InitialXyz = 0.0, 1.2, -5InitialPbh = 0, 0, 0This is my viewpoint location and orientation when I load the AC-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If I save a flight UNTOUCHED ( with a fresh AC load) and look through the saved flight I can see:{Window.1}Order=0Active=TrueUndocked=FalseMaximized=TrueScreenUniCoords=0, 0, 8191, 3575UndocCoords=0, 0, 0, 0CurrentCamera={D7BD0968-F5B0-4D98-B0AF-1B57AFC000D1}Here it shows me what camera I was using at the time (the unique dorsal camera defined above) and in the "detail" lines below : any/all changes to the camera position.{Camera.1.10}Guid={D7BD0968-F5B0-4D98-B0AF-1B57AFC000D1}Zoom=0.85000002384185791Translation=0, 0, 0Rotation=0, 0, 0This shows that I have the original view with a "microscopic" difference in Zoom -- in other words, it's just like I loaded it.-----------------------------------------------------------NOW, if I MOVE the camera location (or adjust the direction AT ALL) and save the flight again, I can look at the saved flight this time and see:{Camera.1.10}Guid={D7BD0968-F5B0-4D98-B0AF-1B57AFC000D1}Zoom=0.85000002384185791Translation=-0.013464630581438541, -0.013251544907689095, -0.013952820561826229Rotation=0, 0, 0the CHANGES I MADE. What I did was 1 click backward (x), 1 click left (y), and 1 click down (z).I could just barely see the movement. So how far is 0.013 meters? about 1/2".So If you want to alter the initial position, combine the changes found in the saved flight with the original values in the Aircraft.cfg and it should put you exactly where you want to be.That is the "Better Way" and pretty much a single step fix. I did this with a fresh AC load but it really shouldn't matter; it records how you are different from the default settings. Regards to you, also.Loyd