Sign in to follow this  
Silicus

Pet Peeves of mine

25 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

easily fixed, 

as a 'turnaround' was referenced in a later post on this thread, simply assign a key to you avionics master, and then select that off, it wont effect the cockpit switching.

Does this fix the "feature"? 

This thread is awesome.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

My list:

- Ugly progressive taxi, not controllable in ATC menu. Anyone know a fix for this one?

- Dumbed down flight planner, no weather briefing or fuel planning. I miss Active Sky. Oh well at least we have SimBrief

- Broken avionics. Thank goodness for WT

- No replay function. Another addon needed to address missing functionality.

- Can't look at CG% once flight has started.

- Agree with the annoying game menu bar. FSX had the correct behavior, why did they break it? Install another added to fix it.

- Built in AI is awful. Looking forward to AIG.

But that said, it's a great sim, and fact is all sims have their share of issues and I'm thankful for the addon devs who come to the rescue.

Barry Friedman

I wouldn't say I have pet peeves, but there are a few things I would kill for to get into MSFS, but am aware that all are coming, so really it's patience required by me 🙂

1)  AI  but AIG are working on this and will have a solution, hopefully by end of year ( or someone will).

2)  Ground vehicles..  but again I know that GSX is being worked on so will solve this.

3)  ATC..  but again..  add-ons coming.. some already here but not what I am looking for yet.. but they will come 🙂

Other than that..  I am really enjoying being in the formatative stages of this flight sim and watching it get better and better as we go forward.

By comparison to previous flight sims, the wait for things like the above have been so much shorter than previously, I really look forward to the next couple of years as MSFS really takes off and realises it's potential 🙂

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 5

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

Except a few pet peeves mentioned above like the ground vehicles steering my way (which I understand are on Asobo's ToDo list), I have a more special one: The missing 'W' key for panel-free view. Asobo even introduced a home cockpit builder menu entry a few updates ago, but that unfortunately does - nothing.

As with several other issues there's a workaround

https://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/2021/06/05/697-my-full-forward-view-update/

but come on Asobo, this shouldn't require rocket science to properly implement.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

There are only 3 issues big enough to truly bother me. The first is wind direction and runways, with the active runway often being downwind for no good reason. The second is the rudder issue resulting in snap-turning just before take off, particularly in small planes.  And the third is how fiddly it is to manipulate instruments and controls in VR, with the mouse pointer refusing to snap into position, no matter how delicately you try to coax it.

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Breaking things that previously worked perfectly well.

Disappearance of animation of reverse thrust from my throttle's beta range after the last update. No amount of re-programming seems to make any difference. Inexplicable! FSUPIC makes no difference - and yes I know it is supposed to be button 29 on my throttle.

I hate it when my puppy picks up my shoes and walks with them to the back yard. Super annoying but he is cute so he gets a semi-pass on it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

7 hours ago, fs4fun said:

Can't look at CG% once flight has started.

To be fair, that's sort of realistic, although you should still be able to do so when on the ground if that's what you mean, but in the air or starting with the engines running on the runway, that's definitely realistic to be off limits. I know you see people going into the cargo hold in all those action movies and looking in the ULDs, but in reality there aren't many planes where that is possible, and even when it is, it's not like you can start shifting ULDs about to alter the CoG. Usually if a plane takes off and has a bad CoG, if it is controllable it's a case of an emergency landing to sort it out. However, as a peeve in a sim, I agree it would be nice if we could get at these things after the flight loads.

Top Tip: If you ever do find yourself on board an airliner where it is possible to go into the cargo hold from the cabin, I recommend having a wander down the cabin prior to take off and looking to see if any of the following people are on board: Kurt Russell, David Suchet, Wesley Snipes, Steven Seagal, Ray Liotta, Bruce Willis, John Leguizamo, Oliver Platt or BD Wong. If this is the case, you should consider disembarking. If any of the cabin crew appear to be either Lauren Holly, Halle Berry or Liz Hurley, you should be ready for to climb into the overhead crawl space above the cabin where you can conduct a one-man war against any hijackers. It's handy to have a few pithy one liners ready for when you dispatch any bad guys, such as: 'you are cleared to descend to hell', 'hijack this; a**hole!', or perhaps 'fasten your sealtbelt mother******!'. That kind of thing.

The day MSFS gets an add-on where you can do all that stuff, will be the day XPlane and P3D will be out of business, although if you use Air Hauler, it is possible to have snakes on your plane. 🤣

On a more serious note, my pet peeve is that even though I have to music off (did that on day one first thing), it still insists on playing the theme for a second or two on boot up before shutting up. I know on the face of it this isn't a massive big deal, but when we consider that it has to spend time loading the sounds in prior to realising you've muted them in the options, this does mean it is faffing about loading things you don't need and won't ever actually be calling upon, so it does presumably add to the load time.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

21 minutes ago, Chock said:

To be fair, that's sort of realistic, although you should still be able to do so when on the ground if that's what you mean, but in the air or starting with the engines running on the runway, that's definitely realistic to be off limits. I know you see people going into the cargo hold in all those action movies and looking in the ULDs, but in reality there aren't many planes where that is possible, and even when it is, it's not like you can start shifting ULDs about to alter the CoG. Usually if a plane takes off and has a bad CoG, if it is controllable it's a case of an emergency landing to sort it out. However, as a peeve in a sim, I agree it would be nice if we could get at these things after the flight loads.

Top Tip: If you ever do find yourself on board an airliner where it is possible to go into the cargo hold from the cabin, I recommend having a wander down the cabin prior to take off and looking to see if any of the following people are on board: Kurt Russell, David Suchet, Wesley Snipes, Steven Seagal, Ray Liotta, Bruce Willis, John Leguizamo, Oliver Platt or BD Wong. If this is the case, you should consider disembarking. If any of the cabin crew appear to be either Lauren Holly, Halle Berry or Liz Hurley, you should be ready for to climb into the overhead crawl space above the cabin where you can conduct a one-man war against any hijackers. It's handy to have a few pithy one liners ready for when you dispatch any bad guys, such as: 'you are cleared to descend to hell', 'hijack this; a**hole!', or perhaps 'fasten your sealtbelt mother******!'. That kind of thing.

The day MSFS gets an add-on where you can do all that stuff, will be the day XPlane and P3D will be out of business, although if you use Air Hauler, it is possible to have snakes on your plane. 🤣

On a more serious note, my pet peeve is that even though I have to music off (did that on day one first thing), it still insists on playing the theme for a second or two on boot up before shutting up. I know on the face of it this isn't a massive big deal, but when we consider that it has to spend time loading the sounds in prior to realising you've muted them in the options, this does mean it is faffing about loading things you don't need and won't ever actually be calling upon, so it does presumably add to the load time.

I noticed the music try and kick in as well thought it was just me, I also turned off menu music on day 1

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

35 minutes ago, Chock said:

Usually if a plane takes off and has a bad CoG, if it is controllable it's a case of an emergency landing to sort it out.

I bought a vintage McDonnell Douglas MD-11 specifically so that I could toy with the CoG mid flight.

Suck it Microsoft. 🤣

• Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

6 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I bought a vintage McDonnell Douglas MD-11 specifically so that I could toy with the CoG mid flight.

Suck it Microsoft. 🤣

There was one A330 which Thomas Cook used to use which had an access hatch from the rear cargo hold that I used to work on. The hatch was just to the right of the entrance door for the rear hold where you normally used to sling the crew bags in a little caged-off area of the hold. It had a ladder below it and the door itself looked like a stainless steel (or some other metal, but not aluminium) sliding affair surrounded by a very heavy frame which was about the size of a typical hatch you sometimes get in houses to be able to get into the loft. I never actually tried opening it, but it was obviously possible to do it from the way it looked, although probably only from above in the cabin, where I presume it was recessed into the cabin floor under a lift up bit of carpet.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

13 hours ago, WestAir said:

Thank you so much! Wish I found this 6 months ago.

11 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Fantastic!  Thanks very much for the link😀

You're both welcome, not that I can take any credit for the fix itself. It's amazing how much such a simple thing can improve the flight experience, without that annoying arrow appearing whenever you move your mouse.

Yes, it's annoying having to use add-ons to solve things the sim should enable by default, but it's not like this particular one needs regular updating and it's an easy 'install' being just a standard Community Folder drop.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

13 hours ago, Chapstick said:

There's literally no reason why we shouldn't be able to disable it. 

100% agreement!

Should also be able to reposition more easily at an airport.  Without returning to the main menu.  I have started at airports near t-hangars, only to find myself boxed in by parked aircraft.

Should also be able to properly log a flight from a cold and dark start or a flight startup otherwise off a runway.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

16 hours ago, fppilot said:

That one is pretty logical.  Your game has ended.

Not for those of us looking to sim a connecting flight or thorough after shutdown walk around

4 hours ago, sidfadc said:

I noticed the music try and kick in as well thought it was just me, I also turned off menu music on day 1

I suspect it's  because your profile hasn't  loaded yet.

The longer the music plays, the slower the internet.

Cheers 

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER