Sign in to follow this  
beatle

Soaring in FSX

Guest Szybowiec

Hi.I previously mentioned how i would get X-Plane v 8.5 G.S. instead of FSX, however, i was very disapointed with the fact that X-Plane showed a lack of gliding opportunities. I did some research online and found anohter great soaring sim:condorsoaring.comIT looks perfect, however, one thing bothers me ALOT is the lack of scenery. Just like in FS9 and FSX, i would like world scenery so i can enjoy flying gliders everywhere, not just northern european countries. There is another gliding sim out htere, Silent Wings which has more available sceneries, but no where near the detail of FSX. So i was just wondering. Does anyone have experience gliding in FSX? Is it more or less realistic? Will there be any commercial add-ons in the future for soaring in FSX (Something i read in a review)? I guess the perfect soaring program would include:FSX Scenery, X-Plane 8.5 G.S Topography and Condor's accurate Flight Simulationill keep dreaming.Thanks for your input! Great Site!Szybowiec.

FSX has quite a few features for soaring use. There are now tow planes to pull the glider up into the air, so you don't have to use the map window to position your glider in the air.Better modeling of ridge lift/updrafts (based on the DEM model) and an option to visually display where they are to make them easier to find while starting out.1 glider model included in the box (don't remember which one off the top of my head though).Plus all the other FSX features; Multiplayer, world wide scenery, 3rd party add-on A/C available (I'm sure there must be some other gliders available out there somewhere :-> ), 3rd party add-on scenery, etc.

Guest Shalomar

I can see the thermals, but not ridge lift. Are you saying FSX displays ridge lift? How do I toggle it?Best Regards, Donny :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Guest CocoLoco

As far as I was aware, FSX only supports ridge lift if it is placed in a mission. I don't think it can automatically generate it based on terrain in free flight. Does anyone out there know if this is true or not?

>>As far as I was aware, FSX only supports ridge lift if it is>placed in a mission. I don't think it can automatically>generate it based on terrain in free flight. Does anyone out>there know if this is true or not?Since the majority of my flight simming is in mountainous regions, I've often experienced the sensation of thermals, which in this case, might be actual simulated ridge lift, as I've headed over, or towards mountain peaks.However, I have not paid real attention to wind/slope direction, to determine if it's really modeled on these "free" flights. Yet, it does happen frequently, and where you might expect it.L.Adamson

Well, I thought the same option would display both of them, but I haven't actually tried it myself :->