Sign in to follow this  
dokelly07

Stalling the C172 trainer, what am I doing wrong???

I cannot stall the C172 trainer model in FSX....I climb to a stall practice altitudeDecrease throttle to idleExtend full flaps (for power off stall practice)establish a gentle descent (to simulate landing phase)level off/gentle climb (to simulate flare and engage the stall)And all that happens is that if I continue holding the yoke the entire plane points nose up, then does a backflip.What in the world...notice I'm not trying to recover here, I'm trying to totally stall the thing. Am I doing the procedures wrong or what?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't believe I've ever considered the defaults to do well in slow flight, dropping a wing, spins, or particully good at slips.And of course, some freeware & payware don't do well either. I'll go with the flight model as being the problem, more than proceedure.L.Adamson

And with a bit of time to test, my default 172 just drops the nose instead of flipping on it's back. L.Adamson

Guest Peter Wilding

stange,can it be fixed?Peter

hmmm, I got it to stall sorta normal now, but I can still reproduce the strange nose up behavior. meh...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest DanWalloch

>I cannot stall the C172 trainer model in FSX....>>I climb to a stall practice altitude>Decrease throttle to idle>Extend full flaps (for power off stall practice)>establish a gentle descent (to simulate landing phase)>level off/gentle climb (to simulate flare and engage the>stall)>>And all that happens is that if I continue holding the yoke>the entire plane points nose up, then does a backflip.>>What in the world...notice I'm not trying to recover here, I'm>trying to totally stall the thing. Am I doing the procedures>wrong or what?What is your indicated airspeed when you start to pull up?Try this, probably the common practice stall routine. Throttle 1500 rpm, add full flaps, in increments, using backpressure to maintain altitude, once inside the white arc, bleed airspeed down to 70kts then idle throttle and smoothly increase pitch to bleed off the rest of the speed.What are your FS realism settings?

>stange,>>can it be fixed?>>PeterI can only conclude yes. Look at what RealAir has done with their FSX SF260. So apparently, stalls, slips, spins CAN be done.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nekke

The default c172 doesnt stall realistically. I had an intresting flight the other day. I was flying with Carenado C206. When I went over a ridge near Grand Canyon, all of a sudden my plane pitched downward and was going towards the ground. I didnt have any control over tha plane. at about 100-500 feet I was able to get control and pitch up. I dont know what happend, but maybe I hit a microburst or something.

UNREAL! I almost thought your post was mine, and I had posted without me knowing. I just did stalls for real in a C152 yesterday, and went to the sim to do slow flight/power on/off stalls. SAME THING! Slow flight, flaps, nose up, BACKFLIP. It would not nose down or do anything close to REAL LIFE. Oh well, would getting Flight1's 172 change this?? anyone..thanks in advance. Danon

Guest Vilk

correct POH procedure to obtain stall behaviour in the deafult 172:1. GET DOWN on your knees2. BEG rob young to give us a new airfile3. SAY THANK YOU when you get it

Guest iwantmydc3

Gee that's interestingI tried it and couldnt get it to stall "right" either. Although I have NO problems stalling any of the airliners :D

I did my flying training in a C150 over 30 years ago in the UK. The initial stall exercise was carried out with flaps up and the aircraft in straight and level flight. The throttle was fully closed and the aircraft held in level flight by pulling the yoke back until it stalled.Incidentally, the standard C150 would not spin reliably enough for flying training. It needed full rudder to be applied quickly and at exactly the right moment otherwise it would just drop into a spiral dive. Spinning exercises were carried out in one the the school's two C150 Aerobats. Even then, one of the Aerobats spun more readily than the other!

Guest KaelO

I've done many a stall in a real warrier and C172. I've just gone and tried to stall the default C172 using procedures I was taught for real world and it worked just as real airraft. Ok, well maybe not exactly spot on, but there was certainly no backflip.a)Straight and level flightb)Throttle back to idlec)maintain climb attitude, pulling the nose backDoing this, with flap or without I got the nose in the defauly C172 to drop and the A/C. I do think it fell from the sky a little to quickly as I can usually recover a 172 in around 200-300 feet and the FSX version didn't recover for around 600. Still...

Well I do not know whats going on with mine, I can pull long after the stall warning horn, and just keep pulling. Its rear sinks, begins to fall straight down (tail first), then does some strange slow rotation towards its back - turning over...backflip -slow though. I did pull 2 semi-realistic stalls, but out of 7, 5 were like this. This is from a slow flight configuration power on stall. When it did it somewhat realistic it dropped the nose slightly and recovery was very quick. Oh well, dont know.Danon O -

>Well I do not know whats going on with mine, I can pull long>after the stall warning horn, and just keep pulling. Its rear>sinks, begins to fall straight down (tail first), then does>some strange slow rotation towards its back - turning>over...backflip -slow though. I did pull 2 semi-realistic>stalls, but out of 7, 5 were like this. This is from a slow>flight configuration power on stall. When it did it somewhat>realistic it dropped the nose slightly and recovery was very>quick. Oh well, dont know.>And my nose still drops as in the reply above. Maybe some of you are flying from the back seat, and no one up front. A very rearward CG problem! :D