Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

Folders LOCKED to Community

So far, AWD and Pilots' have locked their folders to Community, and I cannot add and remove them at my desire through Symbolic Links.  This forces TNCM and KCDK to be loaded no matter where I am flying in the world.  I do NOT like that.  Is there a way to move these folders where I want.  Everything else moves and is managed by @Bad_T's amazing AddOn Manager program.  All the premier scenery developers- FlightBeam, FSDT, FlyTampa, Orbx, LVFR and many others have figured out that it is important to give the USER flexibility. These two have a lock symbol and apparently need special treatment.

Thanks for any solution.

C

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I would have considered TNCM.  But based on this?  No!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank- It's really WELL DONE... but this is it's current shortcoming.  Hopefully the Devs will re-think their strategy.  Don't dismiss it out of hand- it's really nice.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

1 hour ago, cavaricooper said:

So far, AWD and Pilots' have locked their folders to Community, and I cannot add and remove them at my desire through Symbolic Links.  This forces TNCM and KCDK to be loaded no matter where I am flying in the world.  I do NOT like that.  Is there a way to move these folders where I want.  Everything else moves and is managed by @Bad_T's amazing AddOn Manager program.  All the premier scenery developers- FlightBeam, FSDT, FlyTampa, Orbx, LVFR and many others have figured out that it is important to give the USER flexibility. These two have a lock symbol and apparently need special treatment.

Thanks for any solution.

C

Interesting. I have TNCM (Simmarket) and I have it in my Caribbean folder. Anytime I install a payware to my community folder or anywhere else, I move it to a specific folder, then I use the linker to enable or disable. Are you saying that you can't move the folders?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

I would have considered TNCM.  But based on this?  No!

The Simmarket version can be moved.

I've found that addon scenery can only be moved to a location on the same drive. Not sure why this is.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Jose- YES, that's the one I have and it is locked (AWD)... pray tell how I can accomplish this please?

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Can you delete it from community? I've seen some where you cannot copy or move them but you can delete them. What I do then is create a zip file outside of community containing the folders you want. Verify they are there. Delete originals in community. Put the others where addon linker can get to them.

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

@vgbaron

Vic- a special Carnak blessing for you- "May a flatuant Camel never point his rump at your tent flap!"  

I Zipped the folders, deleted them, and moved the zip to unzip where I want.  @Bad_T did the rest.  

I hope, that as we all gain experience with this Sim, developers finally realize that it is GOOD to let customers put things where they make the most sense (to the individual).

Ta mate- C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

oh that's cool to know, i had a few guys asking me the same question but, having not experienced the problem myself, i was not really able to help concretely. If zipping the folders works it can certainly be a nice workaround for some people wanting to do that. Thank you.

• Like 1

@fppilot

Frank- don't discount it- it's one of my REGULAR destinations... lovely!

T3RXdgA.jpg

SC55Qwe.jpg

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Glad you got it sorted. Win 10 files sometimes act up and deleting the file is sometimes the only option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Can you delete it from community? I've seen some where you cannot copy or move them but you can delete them. What I do then is create a zip file outside of community containing the folders you want. Verify they are there. Delete originals in community. Put the others where addon linker can get to them.

Just to make sure I understand, once you zip the unmovable file, the zip file version can then be moved out of the Community folder -- is that the idea?

Thx,

Al

I have also moved folders to and from the community folder by zipping them first.  Thought it was a bit of a long shot but it works.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)