Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

MSFS has the most advanced flight model?

35 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Rim 8 is pretty good, but mostly for freight operations. 

From the 2 videos I just watched on it, it's really well done. I might check it out; thanks for the suggestion.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

4 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

We’re repeating the same discussion again that we had before.  I already said that if Austin prioritizes the mobile,market, he may not invest in development for the PC market.

Adding new graphic features is not that time consuming as you may think, most of the hard work is about building a stable fast rendering engine, and if it already supports multiple platforms so better.

3 minutes ago, akita said:

Adding new graphic features is not that time consuming as you may think, most of the hard work is about building a stable fast rendering engine, and if it already supports multiple platforms so better.

We’re running around circles.  I don’t even know why you come to the MSFS forums in the first place.  If you are happy with X-Plane, maybe you’re better off in the X-Plane forums.

Besides, this topic is about the MSFS flight model.  We’re going off topic.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

If you think that a single code base brings a flight simulator to PC and to smartphones, you are kidding yourself.

Will at least according to Austin, we are talking about 80% the same code already and growing while we talk.

7 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

We’re running around circles.  I don’t even know why you come to the MSFS forums in the first place.  If you are happy with X-Plane, maybe you’re better off in the X-Plane forums.

Because I use MSFS just like you and use Xplane just like others, I also create stupid mods for myself as a tinker lover.

But honestly if you prefer to post some really irrelevant stats and create some fake reality that's ok.

But we both know asobo and microsoft prefer to have Xplane's current user number, otherwise won't be working so hard on the XBOX.

Edited by akita
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, akita said:

From a software point of view, a single code base that yields in bigger numbers vs time is the actual fact that matters. Xplane mobile is Xplane desktop more or less and both will ultimatly become the same product, i.e. not consuming insnaly long time of branches developement, from a consumer view, they are even merging the multiplayers.

The drawback in mobile devices is we are yet to have gpu's powerfull enough for the really fancy shaders.

So for a future speculation, if Xplane will introduce their already available market place to desktop, and open the mobile too for 3pd, does your point about them (3pds) abandoning Xplane still stand while Xplane might have 4x total users?

Yes! If we look closely at any code code it just  zeros and ones! 🙂 There is gotta be some marketing confusion here! 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

9 minutes ago, akita said:

Will at least according to Austin, we are talking about 80% the same code already and growing while we talk.

I like Austin and his marketing department!  He certainly knows how to sell his product! It also brings memory of C++ Borland vs Microsoft 🙂

10 minutes ago, akita said:

But we both know asobo and microsoft prefer to have Xplane's current user number, otherwise won't be working so hard on the XBOX.

This logic is silly! Microsoft actually owns XBOX, Windows, Bing Map and Azure cloud while Austin doesn't! I may say even when Austin developing XP under Windows Microsoft still get its share of $$$$$$ 🙂

• Like 1

I'll throw in my two cents here. I'm obviously biased towards MSFS though, since I'm heavily invested in development at FBW.

MSFS has revolutionized consumer flight simulation by improving the overall experience and addressing many pain points that we just grew to tolerate with previous sims. No more downloading terabytes of ZL17 ortho and buying new hard drives for it or paying exorbitant sums for small regions of high quality payware ortho. No more paying for 3rd party plugins to improve weather accuracy and appearance to a decent level. No more paying for 3rd party plugins for basic ground services, lighting, autogen, sounds, etc. And no more paying for navdata from other providers when the sim should ship with updated cycles itself. And no more hassle dealing with updating all these plugins and finding out which one is causing crashes, or even organizing scenery order in multiple folders.

With the continuing improvements being made to the rough edges of MSFS, and more 3rd party devs realizing this platform is the future, I don't see how X-Plane can viable compete in the long term, in the home desktop simulation market. Even more so given Austin's dismissive thoughts on streaming ortho and scenery (something that even FlightGear, a free flight sim, has a very rudimentary implementation of). I would love to be proven wrong by the XP team however - competition is good for everyone - but at this rate, I stand by my prediction.

• Like 9

Please do not contact me via DM for support or help with the A32NX mod. We recommend using our help channel on our Discord.

25 minutes ago, akita said:

Because I use MSFS just like you and use Xplane just like others, I also create stupid mods for myself as a tinker lover.

But honestly if you prefer to post some really irrelevant stats and create some fake reality that's ok.

If you think X-Plane has more users on the PC home simulator market, all the more power to you, lol.

14 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

This logic is silly! Microsoft actually owns XBOX, Windows, Bing Map and Azure cloud while Austin doesn't! I may say even when Austin developing XP under Windows Microsoft still get its share of $$$$$$ 🙂

This is not about austin vs microsoft worth.

I'm not really sure if your last series of quoting me was about accusing me for marketing, or sarcasam or whatever.

But simple as that, Xplane product has at least 3x more users, developing mobile and dekstop together is not taking 2x time, much less than that, and will be even less.

From a *business* stand point, you can't just decide to count *desktop users only* just because it fits what you think.

See, this is not an MSFS vs Xplane furure rather to debunk seriously wrong claims about Xplane not having a big market share, and yes I know you all talking desktop only but it ignores some serious facts that can't be if some folks here trying to predict the future.

Edited by akita
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, akita said:

But simple as that, Xplane product has at least 3x more users, developing mobile and dekstop together is not taking 2x time, much less than that, and will be even less.

Facts revolve around numbers not believes, imagination, or self-predictions ! Until we see legit source that proves what you claim it will remain just you personal opinion.

So far I remember seen  stats from steam and navigraph which represent some but not all numbers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

I think it is interesting that you have no hesitation to herald (and welcome) the demise of X-Plane and spare no effort to lay out why and when this will happen in this thread - but when someone starts to provide data that doesn´t fit your little world...you want the discussion to get back on topic! Oh, any you forgot to mention Blackberry vs iPhone in your last post! 😂

Edited by Janov
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

Facts revolve around numbers not believes, imagination, or self-predictions ! Until we see legit source that proves what you claim it will remain just you personal opinion.

So far I remember seen  stats from steam and navigraph which represent some but not all numbers.

Already did that instead you were fast to quote rather than actually reading.

Go to your google play store, search for Xplane, watch the installs number 5M+. Already at least 2x more than the *product* called MSFS.

If you have, ios, great  go to your app store and do the same above and please update me, i expect some more millions there.

11 minutes ago, IcemanFBW said:

Even more so given Austin's dismissive thoughts on streaming ortho and scenery (something that even FlightGear, a free flight sim, has a very rudimentary implementation of). I would love to be proven wrong by the XP team however - competition is good for everyone - but at this rate, I stand by my prediction.

My guess is, Austin has worked out the numbers and he probably figured out he can’t develop, maintain, and release such service and profit from it at the same time.  It would cost him a lot of money to implement and even if it were a paid monthly service, he would make a loss on it because of the small X-Plane player base for PC. It’s just easier for him to say he’ll stick with autogen.

Nevermind that probably only Google has that data and the server and bandwidth to stream it and Google would probably charge Laminar Research, but then Austin would need to hire a company like Blackshark AI to massage the satellite data.  To make it worse, MSFS offers this for free after you purchase your copy of MSFS.  It’s just so hard to match MSFS, so Austin saying he’ll stick with autogen is the easier way to address this issue.