Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Are you getting stutters in the middle of nowhere?

A little info first, my RTX3080 had to be sent back (crashers) it use to let the VRAM mem temps get over 100F 106-108 sometimes. I make custom fans in MSI afterburner but I think the damage was done.

New card never goes over 82F no matter what. All round seems so much better.

So I loaded up MSFS everything back to Ultra and went flying. Addon airport fine, super smooth, on route in the middle of nowhere stutters, WHAT! WHY? coming to a town and another addon airport all returns to super smooth.

So why? I did a flight today and saw the same thing so i bought up dev mode and saw CPU bound, bought up open resource monitor and saw the main core that MSFS likes to used pins at 100% all the time. OK I thought, in the middle of nowhere there is nothing to do so you go mental. Since the CPU core you (MSFS) use is maxed out when your asking it to do something its bugged as its already maxed out. So stutter why dont you 😡

Went away and read up a bit.

Did a flight and got to the middle of nowhere and stutters started, this time since I cannot up my graphic I pushed up Renderscale, this was a balancing act to just tip it from CPU bound to GPU bound. I got it so it flicked from one to the other around 2 time a second. Just flicked back and forth. Now the CPU core that MSFS users was pegged at 90%. Also what it meant was when geting close to where i was in towns citys airports it was nothing but GPU bound. Did that matter? no.

So I now lock my FPS with RTSS to 34 ( dont ask why its not important) did a long GA flight for me in the M20 from Reno to Orbx's KSJC big built up area. Lots of middle of nowhere.

Perfect! no stutters nothing. FPS never droped or even flashed below 34.

So am not saying this is a magic wand or anything. Just sharing my finding. Just try and get your Dev mode flashed from CPU to GPU bound when your CPU has very little to do. As long as you can keep your 30FPS all is good.

3 from the flight above.

Reno, GPU Bound

Screenshot-1298.png

middle of nowhere Flicking from CPU to GPU Bound 

Screenshot-1299.png

Orbx KSJC GPU Bound

Screenshot-1301.png

There is no point in showing my setting you just need to balance your. Give it a try and I hope it helps.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks David.  I am glad you got your 3080 back!

I do get random mini-pauses in the middle of nowhere, and I can reproduce them in certain areas that should not be an issue (light on graphics).

But my pauses are due to the 'manipulators' issue when both my cpu and gpu utilisation drop to zero for a fraction of a second.

I think some scenery areas are still acting a bit strange like the old 76T issue they fixed.

I dare say they will track them all down in time.  Following your thinking, I do already try to max out my 1080Ti.  I run at 4k 70% scaling, locked at 30 fps, which really pushes it, and leaves me with the one main overloaded thread on my cpu running at about 70-80%.

It definitely helps with performance and smoothness in general and for 99% of the time, but I still hit one of those problem areas that bring on the pauses from time to time. I think that is just a sim / scenery problem they need to solve eventually.

PS. Lovely sharp pics there!

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I've never had stutters up until recently and they seem very random location wise. I disabled multiplayer and they went away.

I reported a while ago about locations based stutters (more like pauses), especially where i fly in Czech Republic. They still here till this day...

Roi Ben

The last few days I have had some issues with Aerosoft's CRJ as some of you might know from reading these forums 😉 Well, after a long goosechase I learned a few things I was unaware of. 

First and foremost in relation to your topic, @Nyxx, I learned that FSUIPC is not stable. I was getting 18 second long freezes in the CRJ. From sending a command until it executed in the sim (ie change my view, or alt f4) it would take 18 seconds. 

When flying other aircraft I would not get this issue, but i noticed that I was getting small microstutters regularly. After looking more closely, it happened around every 18 seconds. 

After uninstalling FSUIPC completely, these matters have gone away. 

For those using fsuip it could well be worth investigating further into this if you are having performance issues. It might not be relevant to you, but I thought I would mention it 🙂 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes
  • Like 2

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

A little info first, my RTX3080 had to be sent back (crashers) it use to let the VRAM men temps get over 100F 106-108 sometimes. I make custom fans in MSI afterburner but I think the damage was done.

New card never goes over 82F no matter what. All round seems so much better.

So I loaded up MSFS everything back to Ultra and went flying. Addon airport fine, super smooth, on route in the middle of nowhere stutters, WHAT! WHY? coming to a town and another addon airport all returns to super smooth.

So why? I did a flight today and saw the same thing so i bought up dev mode and saw CPU bound, bought up open resource monitor and saw the main core that MSFS likes to used pins at 100% all the time. OK I thought, in the middle of nowhere there is nothing to do so you go mental. Since the CPU core you (MSFS) use is maxed out when your asking it to do something its bugged as its already maxed out. So stutter why dont you 😡

Went away and read up a bit.

Did a flight and got to the middle of nowhere and stutters started, this time since I cannot up my graphic I pushed up Renderscale, this was a balancing act to just tip it from CPU bound to GPU bound. I got it so it flicked from one to the other around 2 time a second. Just flicked back and forth. Now the CPU core that MSFS users was pegged at 90%. Also what it meant was when geting close to where i was in towns citys airports it was nothing but GPU bound. Did that matter? no.

So I now lock my FPS with RTSS to 34 ( dont ask why its not important) did a long GA flight for me in the M20 from Reno to Orbx's KSJC big built up area. Lots of middle of nowhere.

Perfect! no stutters nothing. FPS never droped or even flashed below 34.

So am not saying this is a magic wand or anything. Just sharing my finding. Just try and get your Dev mode flashed from CPU to GPU bound when your CPU as very little to do. As long as you can keep your 30FPS all is good.

There is no point in showing my setting you just need to balance your. Give it a try and I hope it helps.

If I could give you more than one upvote I would 🙂

I have been having a few issues with pauses and even a couple of CTD's, but I was having issues with Radeon drivers (well no surprise there).  However, like you I started balancing and tuning here and there using both Radeon Software and MSI afterburner software.  My 6900xt is the MSI one.. hence the Afterburner software.     

My specs are below and I run in 2k screen mode on full ULtra settings.

In My system, what I discovered was that if you are not careful, the 6900xt is so powerful that it just keeps sucking more and more power into itself to  keep pushing the frame rate up and up and up.  Even at 2k resolution.. over open water, I was hitting 110 FPS  and yet coming into Heathrow I was getting less than 40 fps.    This created stuttering and sometimes, when suddenly dropping from an excess of 100 fps to 40fps as you flew over the coast, the fans etc were not handling things well, giving a Radeon Wattman error and CTD';ing the app.

What I have done now is use Afterburner to turn up the fans and to run -1 onn the power settings and force limit the Sim to 35FPS  (notice the similarity there?)   

My sim now runs absolutely solid with temps always staying below 70 degrees on the graphics card and no more errors and maintaining a rock solid 35FPS everywhere..

Regards

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

If not done so already try disabling online AI Traffic or Multiplayer mate. I spent days banging my head against a wall wondering why my system would 'freeze' or 'stutter' exactly every two seconds. It would start at random times, sometimes an hour after the start of flight it, sometimes five minutes. But when it did, like clockwork every two seconds the sim would stutter and become limited by main thread.   

The moment I turn off online AI traffic it goes away. If i then go back into the menus and turn it back on it comes back. Don't think its a livery issue as the only one I've got thats not stock is one BA FBW livery.

Also, previously when I had disabled HT I saw some stutters as well.... 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

It's so cool seeing people fly my Mooney paints!

I totally envy your setup as well!

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Even without AI or Multiplayer I am occasionally getting bad stutters and sub 30 FPS, especially in the bay area. I have given up on SFO and I regret buying ORBX KSJC because I can't fly into SFO or KSJC without massive hiccups and a third of the time I get a CTD in-between the two airports or as I approach either one.

This "stutters in the middle of nowhere" issue is not exclusive to Microsoft Flight Simulator. I get that in P3Dv4 in certain locations across the UK. In fact, those stutters are one of the reasons why I have become rather disillusioned with flight simulation recently. I am taking a break from it at the moment, and am currently enjoying driving GT3 and GT4 cars in Assetto Corsa Competizione (purchased at a 60% Steam discount over the weekend after taking advantage of a FREE offer to test the software).

Sorry for the off topic. Normal service can now be resumed.

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I get these random stutters here and then too. I've not yet found a pattern where it will show up. But when I've "found" such an area, it is reproducible. I may add, that I've disabled multiplayer and ai traffic. It seems that it is mesh related, because I see it more often in mountainous areas where it is more pronounced when a mesh add-on is active. But the stutters are also there w/o any mesh add-on.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Yeah, I can understand why I may get stutters in dense scenery areas and around detailed airports, but the random once in the middle of nowhere can be hard to fathom.

Make sure that your antivirus and any other security programs are not running or exclude your msfs directory and keep your eye on temps (especially with the weather warming up).

I am getting the impression that some of these stutters are occurring whilst downloading scenery from the server though.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Definitely getting random stutters in the middle of nowhere. Lasts a couple of seconds and then all fluid again. Nature of the beast at the moment. Hopefully optimisation will take care of things.

Beautiful pics David. I have rig-envy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

It's so cool seeing people fly my Mooney paints!

I totally envy your setup as well!

1 hour ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Definitely getting random stutters in the middle of nowhere. Lasts a couple of seconds and then all fluid again. Nature of the beast at the moment. Hopefully optimisation will take care of things.

Beautiful pics David. I have rig-envy.

Kind words, thank you guys. It was a lot of savings and sold my car to help chip in. Did not come easy.

Ryan, I fly your livery as there the best, stunning work mate.

All am trying to test here is to keep your core processor from never capping out and I think the biggest chance of that is when your in the middle of nowhere and I agree I think it’s downloading and drawing in new scenes. But with you core caped out it starts to stutter. AI traffic is always set to off etc. 
manipulators I’ve not looked into as I’ve never seen that one. It might mean some setting are to high? Just a guess. As it seems to suggest it’s struggling?

BTW Ryan and “Will” I went from a 4790k@4.6 with a 1070 and 1080p, I still think at 1080p and that rig handled MSFS well. Yes the new rig is a massive step up and hope you both enjoy your next rigs. 3070-3080-3080Ti and 3090 can be ordered here in the UK as long as part of a new PC.

My PC cost £3025 but when you think people are paying £1700 -£ 2,500 just for 3080-3080Ti and 3090 it seems a fair price! Now. Still a lot of money. The same rig as mine is now £3400, ouch!

In 14 months time it will be middle of the road rig hehe. Windows 11 intell 12 4080 and so it goes on….

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I flew out of KDEN the other day heading for KPHX and all was well around uber busy Denver and yet upon getting over the Front Range really w/ almost no buildings/roads below started w/ the classic drops in frame rate below my vsync'd lock to 30Hz, despite having CPU/GPU loads of only 60-70%.  Server access is almost always normal.

These seem to be tied to areas w/ super dense trees/bushes, which seems odd to me but there is some connection.   Same has happened in flying to KACV and KSBA over areas of mountains and dense vegetation.  If I know this will be involved I will set vegetation down to no higher than High, sometimes at Medium.  Also, long flights seem to make approaches into busy metro areas much less favorable w/ a very similar issue happening--that is, where looking at GPU/CPU load there seems be be more than ample headroom.  One thing that always helps is to set sliders well below what you think your rig can manage.  For example, I bought Roman Design's CYOW, a beautiful piece of work w/ retained ILS Freq fields for autoloading of ILS freq, I had to bring LOD sliders down from my default 180 to 200, down to 100, then all was well.   What's peculiar is when I do this IQ still seems very good.

Last, and perhaps most importantly, best results always come when I go into Dev Mode, within flight, and clear the console of errors/warnings/messages.  This always keeps the spinning console logging indicator from appearing w/ its associated microstutters.  When you do this you lose logging of your flight in the pilot logbook but always performance is smoothest and best possible.  For a time I did some workarounds to achieve both but it is not worth the hassle so I now always go into Dev Mode, clear the console, disable Dev Mode, and start my flights.  I did zendesk this issue recently w/ a lot of detail I hope they deal with it soon.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X