Sign in to follow this  
John Fields

Help. I need to reinstall Windows 10 and...

Hi,

I need to reinstall windows 10 because some programs don't work anymore.

I tried, several times, to return to a previous point, but it didn't work.

I'm really worried because I don't know what will happen with MSFS 2020. 

Please, somebody can tell me what I should so?

Thank you in advance.

First of all I doubt that a Windows 10 reinstall is needed just because a few programs don't work anymore. Reinstalling an OS is some sort of desperate last resort. But if your Windows 10 itself is working fine, you should first simply uninstall the non-working 3rd party software and clean your registry. Check your drivers and make sure they are current and official. (And remove any dubious "optimization" software that might be installed...)

This said, It would help to know which software does not work and since when.

In case you reinstall Windows, you have to download MSFS again from where you bought it. If you bought it in the Microsoft store, make sure you use the same account data you had when you first bought it. MSFS is bound to your account, not your PC.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

You can just reset Windows, while keeping all personal files. Programs will be deleted. MSFS will need to be reinstalled.

Once you've done resetting, it will then install all the updates and bring you up to speed.

Delete your gpu drivers and reinstall the latest drivers for your hardware.

Type "windows 10 reset" into google to get all the relevant information.

Edited by Ricardo41

Thank you, Mario.

I uninstalled the photography programs from DXO and Adobe and they don't install again (I used the AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool, for instance, but no results!).  

I'll try to clean the registry now...

Edited by pete_auau
  • Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Gracias, Ricardo.

Desinstalar Windows y volverlo a instalar es algo que yo he hecho muchas veces. Pero ahora tengo pánico (cuando salió no me dejaba instalr MSFS porque la compilación de Windows 10 instalada (era Insider) era incompatible. Estuve días sin poder instalar Flight Simulator hasta que me decidí a desinstalar Windows 10 y volverlo a instalar desde cero. 

De aquí la pregunta.

7 minutes ago, John Fields said:

Thank you, Mario.

I uninstalled the photography programs from DXO and Adobe and they don't install again (I used the AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool, for instance, but no results!).  

I'll try to clean the registry now...

Which error message do you get when trying to reinstall these programs?

Have you already tried the following for Creative Cloud?

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/failed-install-creative-cloud-desktop.html

Edited by MarioDonick

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Hi, everybody!

I really appreciate your support!

It's incredible!

Thank you!

I'm going to try, first, what the MarioDonick says (adobe failed install creative cloud). If this fails I'll try to reinstall Windows without losing data (TENPATROL and pete).

Well...

12 minutes ago, John Fields said:

Gracias, Ricardo.

Desinstalar Windows y volverlo a instalar es algo que yo he hecho muchas veces. Pero ahora tengo pánico (cuando salió no me dejaba instalr MSFS porque la compilación de Windows 10 instalada (era Insider) era incompatible. Estuve días sin poder instalar Flight Simulator hasta que me decidí a desinstalar Windows 10 y volverlo a instalar desde cero. 

De aquí la pregunta.

?

I'm from a Northern European country, but I appreciate the thought.🙃

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Ricardo!

I thought you were Spanish (or Portuguese or Italian...).

I was saying that, in the past, I uninstalled ans installed Windows many many times! But now I'm really affraid because the Flight Simulator complexity (when MSFS came out I coudn't install it because I had a Insider compilation incompatible! But I didin't know what the problem was. Finally (after two days), I uninstalled W10 and installed again.

Then I installed Flight Simulator and everything was fine!

Thank you for your help, Ricardo! 

Contrary to all the advice here, often the right thing to do is to format and reinstall. It takes a fraction of the time it takes to problem solve a major issue. And to those suggesting “clean the registry”, that is not good advice. How do you propose doing that? By searching using the Find function and hunting down every instance of a word and deleting those reg keys? Or using CCleaner that will blindly destroy Windows if you merrily agree to wipe out every registry entry it reports as bad or orphaned? Unless you know what you are doing, you will destroy what’s left of your Windows and programs.

If you back up first you won’t lose data. Then do a clean install. As in format, partition, install. Reinstalling on top of a duff installation is a recipe for headaches and misery. Seriously, you only do it once every 5 years, so do it properly once. Happy Windows, happy life.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

25 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Contrary to all the advice here, often the right thing to do is to format and reinstall. It takes a fraction of the time it takes to problem solve a major issue. And to those suggesting “clean the registry”, that is not good advice. How do you propose doing that? By searching using the Find function and hunting down every instance of a word and deleting those reg keys? Or using CCleaner that will blindly destroy Windows if you merrily agree to wipe out every registry entry it reports as bad or orphaned? Unless you know what you are doing, you will destroy what’s left of your Windows and programs.

If you back up first you won’t lose data. Then do a clean install. As in format, partition, install. Reinstalling on top of a duff installation is a recipe for headaches and misery. Seriously, you only do it once every 5 years, so do it properly once. Happy Windows, happy life.

I agree, and find it far quicker just to format and re-install. done in about 40mins.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I reïnstalled Windows recently as well. If you installed your MSFS is in a custom folder then: DON't DELETE that folder. This can save you a lot of download time (like 150 Gb).

So, after Windows, I then installed MSFS from the MS Store (only 1 GB), started MSFS, and pointed the manager when it came up to my custom MSFS folder (E://MSFS). It did a quick verification (super quick) of the folder/files, and then MSFS continued the startup and is working flawlessly ever since.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gerwil said:

I reïnstalled Windows recently as well. If you installed your MSFS is in a custom folder then: DON't DELETE that folder. This can save you a lot of download time (like 150 Gb).

So, after Windows, I then installed MSFS from the MS Store (only 1 GB), started MSFS, and pointed the manager when it came up to my custom MSFS folder (E://MSFS). It did a quick verification (super quick) of the folder/files, and then MSFS continued the startup and is working flawlessly ever since.

This worked like a charm for me also.

• Upvote 1

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11