Jump to content

GSalden

FOV : too wide ….

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, GSalden said:

Here I use 0.30 icw a 7768x2160 view

2160 / 7768 = 0.28  with WidevieW unchecked

The minimum of 0.30 that I used icw WidevieW correction gives good proportions without stretching to the sides, but also the ground looks twice to close for the altitude I am flying at.

I currently am testing with WidevieW aspect checked and a zoom of 0.90, which is comparable with 0.27 WidevieW aspect unchecked (which is not possible). Slightly stretching at the sides.

 

 

I'm on a 5120x1440 and Aim for about .9 with wideview checked.  In iRacing I actually run my single 5k monitor as 3 16 inch monitors with an 18 degree curve factor built in with 0 bezel factored in.  This eliminates any of the stretching in the corner of the monitors.  I really wish P3D and MSFS had the same monitor customization as the racing sims do...  Proper FOV is critical and zoom in p3D and MSFS don't seem to be an FOV equivalent.  

I think the formula Ray mentioned has to be WideView disabled.  That would give me .3 on a 5k ultrawide which is incredibly distorted.   

 

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, psolk said:

I think the formula Ray mentioned has to be WideView disabled.  That would give me .3 on a 5k ultrawide which is incredibly distorted. 

With WideView enabled the zoom value is 0.56. With it disabled it changes to 0.30. But crucially the viewed panel is unchanged with ChasePlane running presumably because it's controlling the zoom.

Without CP and with WideView off 0.56 is far too close. Use Shift +/- to adjust zoom and 0.30 gives the same result.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.2 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post

I followed this guide and have to say for my 777 setup it was the best advice ever 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kand said:

I followed this guide and have to say for my 777 setup it was the best advice ever

That's the video I saw and based my zoom on his recommendations. 👍

  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.2 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That's the video I saw and based my zoom on his recommendations. 👍

However :

WidevieW aspect is True + zoom 1.0 = correct FOV, but the distance is too close by

A zoom of 0.70 is very close to what you see in the distance, however then the sides show to much FOV and the sides get stretched.

I am testing with WidevieW aspect is True + zoom 0.90

Before I used WidevieW aspect is Not true + zoom 0.30

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

Gerard

7940x ( 14 cores ) : 14 cores @ 4.7 - Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7 - 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz Cl 14 - Inno3D RTX3090 X4 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 43” Sony 4K tv's in NVSurround

8700K : all 6 cores @ 5.0 GHz - Asus ROG 370 - 16 Gb 4000 MHz @ 3600 Mhz - Inno3D RTX 3090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - 1x 55” Sony 4K tv

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

 

Share this post


Link to post

@GSalden,

I find the view of the virtual cockpit is acceptable with WV=On and zoom of 0.56.

I don’t really worry about the distance view. It’s difficult to get a perfect view on a computer compared to real life.

What is the aspect ratio of your monitor(s)?


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.2 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@GSalden,

I find the view of the virtual cockpit is acceptable with WV=On and zoom of 0.56.

I don’t really worry about the distance view. It’s difficult to get a perfect view on a computer compared to real life.

What is the aspect ratio of your monitor(s)?

Those are very good settings.

Because of my 2x 43” : 7768x2160 I cannot go further down than 0.90 as that already shows a little stretching towards the sides. And that is with WidevieW correction checked.

 

Edited by GSalden

Gerard

7940x ( 14 cores ) : 14 cores @ 4.7 - Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7 - 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz Cl 14 - Inno3D RTX3090 X4 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 43” Sony 4K tv's in NVSurround

8700K : all 6 cores @ 5.0 GHz - Asus ROG 370 - 16 Gb 4000 MHz @ 3600 Mhz - Inno3D RTX 3090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - 1x 55” Sony 4K tv

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Those are very good settings.

Because of my 2x 43” : 7768x2160 I cannot go further down than 0.90 as that already shows a little stretching towards the sides. And that is with WidevieW correction checked.

 

That equates to 0.28 which wouldn’t work for you. Maybe his formula only works for single displays and not the ultra-wide varieties.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.2 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Because of my 2x 43” : 7768x2160 I cannot go further down than 0.90 as that already shows a little stretching towards the sides. And that is with WidevieW correction checked.

With such a setup I would have thought you'd have two separate views appropriately set and ViewGroups used to make them act as one. That's what I have with my 2 x 4K projectors and a 210 degree FOV curved screen, and it looks pretty good though I'm not quite reaching the proper 200 degrees (more like 180). The two individual Windows are set with a fair amount of overlap to allow blending (not needed with monitor screens), so each is about 90+ degrees FOV, a reasonably comfortable zoom to set.

When I had three projectors and three windows with ViewGroups the setup managed 210 degrees with no sign of distortion, but I had to have more overlaps (because of the distance of the projectors) so the separate FOVs were not all that much different -- they would have been around 80 degrees I think (but I may be wrong).

BTW my way of working out zoom levels wasn't to do with the numerical zoom setting in P3D, but just adjusting the level to get the same FOV from your eye to the screen as the angle between two objects from your aircraft's cockpit position as measured on a top-down view. I always used the width of the terminal 1 pier at EGCC as seen square-on from somewhere towards Terminal 3. That was when I had a single projector and a flat 10 feet wide screen about 6 feet from my nose.

That system is irrelevant when the FOV you need is dictated be the direct left and right 90 degree views from the cockpit window.

Pete

 

Edited by Pete Dowson
  • Like 1

Win10: 2004 19041.264
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3900 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

With such a setup I would have thought you'd have two separate views appropriately set and ViewGroups used to make them act as one. That's what I have with my 2 x 4K projectors and a 210 degree FOV curved screen, and it looks pretty good though I'm not quite reaching the proper 200 degrees (more like 180). The two individual Windows are set with a fair amount of overlap to allow blending (not needed with monitor screens), so each is about 90+ degrees FOV, a reasonably comfortable zoom to set.

When I had three projectors and three windows with ViewGroups the setup managed 210 degrees with no sign of distortion, but I had to have more overlaps (because of the distance of the projectors) so the separate FOVs were not all that much different -- they would have been around 80 degrees I think (but I may be wrong).

BTW my way of working out zoom levels wasn't to do with the numerical zoom setting in P3D, but just adjusting the level to get the same FOV from your eye to the screen as the angle between two objects from your aircraft's cockpit position as measured on a top-down view. I always used the width of the terminal 1 pier at EGCC as seen square-on from somewhere towards Terminal 3. That was when I had a single projector and a flat 10 feet wide screen about 6 feet from my nose.

That system is irrelevant when the FOV you need is dictated be the direct left and right 90 degree views from the cockpit window.

Pete

 

When using one wide frontview the horizonline remains straight.

Wheh using 2 views (viewgroups or 2 seperate camera views) and you pitch up/down you will see an angle in the middle of the horizon. The same goes for banking.

Wheh using projectors on a curved screen icw a program like Immersive Display you won’t suffer from that issue.

So now I have one wide front view : 2x 4K 43” ( width compatible with a 90” display) and one left front/left view : 1x 4K 55”.


Gerard

7940x ( 14 cores ) : 14 cores @ 4.7 - Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7 - 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz Cl 14 - Inno3D RTX3090 X4 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 43” Sony 4K tv's in NVSurround

8700K : all 6 cores @ 5.0 GHz - Asus ROG 370 - 16 Gb 4000 MHz @ 3600 Mhz - Inno3D RTX 3090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - 1x 55” Sony 4K tv

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, GSalden said:

Wheh using 2 views (viewgroups or 2 seperate camera views) and you pitch up/down you will see an angle in the middle of the horizon. The same goes for banking.

Wheh using projectors on a curved screen icw a program like Immersive Display you won’t suffer from that issue.

Oh, right. Didn't know that, but now you say it I can understand. Does make the ViewGroups facility rather less useful than I though, for sure!

Pete

 


Win10: 2004 19041.264
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3900 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    48%
    $12,180.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...