Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

ATIS in FSX

Guest RonB49

Something about ATIS seems to have changed in FSX. Last night I was approaching KSAT from the West and flying in weather that I had created. The wind was 138 at 12 both where I was (Near Junction at FL330 and at KSAT. When ATC told me to start my approach, they indicated Runway 3 as the active. Sure enough when I tuned in ATIS, it had everything right (clouds, viz, altim) except winds. ATIS said "winds calm."I continued my approach and listened to other AI planes being vectored to Rwy 3. At some point (and I'm not sure where) ATC began to direct planes to Runway 12R. I tuned ATIS and it still said "winds calm."I became distracted trying to figure out what was wrong and came in way too high to land on Rwy 3 so I went missed approach. When I contacted Approach Control, they vectored me to Runway 12R and, at that point, ATIS was reporting "winds 138 at 12."I have noticed before that when I first listen to ATIS in FSX, the winds are usually reported as calm. But this is the first time that I have had a runway change because of this quirk.I always create my own weather themes and I always use the default ATC and ATIS. I did so in FS9 and now FSX. It worked fine in FS9 but something has changed in FSX. Is there any fix? Also what is the email address to let Microsoft know about this? Is it "Tell FS" or "Tell MS" or someting like that?Thanks.R-

I think it's tell_fs@microsoft.comI have not noticed this issue. On the other hand I use ActiveSky.You may need to refresh the AI (a simple reload of the scenery can accomplish this) in order for ATC to start vectoring AI (and possibly you) with respect to the "new" wind direction.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The only change that I've found is that FSX has removed the "runway lock" which prevented the changing of runways in FS9 if there were any aircraft on the ground or on approach assigned to the runway.At busy airports in FS9 the runway never changed no matter what the weather.

Hello Ron,In order to avoid any abrupt changes in weather, it is implemented gradually from a calm state. We could consider this a feature, an advantage of FS X.So, the question is, did you modify the weather just before your approach? That may be why weather was initially reported as calm.Best regards.Luis