Sign in to follow this  
Seat*

Very dark cockpit in 5.2

On 6/16/2021 at 7:04 AM, BiologicalNanobot said:

Hi,

I made that mod, and it is not surprising that beta testers could not "figure this out" earlier - it is simply not their job and they don't have to have that very specific knowledge about graphics programming. About LM... It is not surprising that they went with ACES instead of Uncharted 2 - ACES tonemapper is industry standard, for a good reason, but it requires a good quality HDR input for output to look good. Prepar3D has been shifting towards physically based lighting equations more and more, which increases the "quality" of HDR input. Until the transition is complete, this workaround should be fine. Though even with a good quality HDR input, I still find ACES too hard and contrasty for flight simulators, but it really depends on artistic choices of the developer.

I disabled Envshade and installed the original files (Envshade removes ShaderHsl stuff) and used your complete file. Good grief!, the difference was like night from day. It's almost perfect now, sure appreciate your knowledge. It's like a different graphic engine.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Could somebody copy and paste a copy of the relevant file and or its changes. I have looked at the images for the changes but it seems either cut off or my eyes are not what they used to be so I found it very hard to read. I am sure I missed a critical syntax entry because when I tried it all I got was a blank screen so back to the original for the time being!

@coastaldriver, go to page 2 on this link. You’ll find the code to use which you can copy and paste into your file.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=142594&sid=bc779218a8a2a6d519868312d34bc090&start=15

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray. That made it a bit easier! And yes that mod has certainly improved the interior aspect of the light v dark issue. Tried it on a variety of types and consistently improved that darkish interior cockpit to a more acceptable light. 

Edited by coastaldriver
addtional information

I have tested this with a variety of aircraft but does this mod to the shaders also change the way light is managed outside that is reflections etc. The reason is that I like to do a lot of flying boat flying so you are mixing it with water and sky reflections. It appeared to me that the water reflectivity was altered and gave it a sort of milky look  Would this be the case? I find that with EA and dynamic lighting it takes one a while to get used to the shifts in glare and shades as the light is altered by change in direction, tilt or roll. It is also interesting they way cloud darkening and lighting in terms of the visible light is being altered. I think this area is going to be a interesting for future tweaks and changes as the Cloud Volumes were. I returned to my previous shader set up and ENVSHADE for the time being. Need to do a lot more reading on this area. 

Hey,

I found a way by changing 1 Envshade value directly in the General.fx or via the Envshade control panel.

Via Envdir its called:

grafik.png.644f5a2ea73d4d7212ea3d33b82e330b.png

The name of this value is a bit wired, cause I dont see any change in AC shadow with this entry but a change in the VC lightning.

Via General.fx its called Envshade_AircraftBrightness_Multiplier = x.xx;

Negative values makes the VC brighter, positiv values darker.

I found my sweet spot at -0.75.

Here are some example screenshots:

https://imgur.com/TJl8ez2TJl8ez2.png

ej62gT4.jpeg

J58gm9y.jpg

EDIT: Okay it affects indeed the "shadows" in the cockpit. If you have rainy conditions, the cockpit get not so dark as it does usually but I likley have a lighter cockpit 😄

Ceers

Bernd

Edited by Flyinggok
  • Upvote 1

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

2 hours ago, Flyinggok said:

Hey,

I found a way by changing 1 Envshade value directly in the General.fx or via the Envshade control panel.

Via Envdir its called:

grafik.png.644f5a2ea73d4d7212ea3d33b82e330b.png

The name of this value is a bit wired, cause I dont see any change in AC shadow with this entry but a change in the VC lightning.

Via General.fx its called Envshade_AircraftBrightness_Multiplier = x.xx;

Negative values makes the VC brighter, positiv values darker.

I found my sweet spot at -0.75.

Here are some example screenshots:

Doesn't that make the external/fuselage model also brighter?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Removed images in quoted post

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

you can also try to play with the contrast switch.

8 hours ago, CaptKornDog said:

Doesn't that make the external/fuselage model also brighter?

Not for me

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

On 6/16/2021 at 8:04 AM, BiologicalNanobot said:

Hi,

I made that mod, and it is not surprising that beta testers could not "figure this out" earlier - it is simply not their job and they don't have to have that very specific knowledge about graphics programming. About LM... It is not surprising that they went with ACES instead of Uncharted 2 - ACES tonemapper is industry standard, for a good reason, but it requires a good quality HDR input for output to look good. Prepar3D has been shifting towards physically based lighting equations more and more, which increases the "quality" of HDR input. Until the transition is complete, this workaround should be fine. Though even with a good quality HDR input, I still find ACES too hard and contrasty for flight simulators, but it really depends on artistic choices of the developer.

Unfortunately it appears this mod no longer will work in v5.2HF1. When you load it up after clearing the shaders folder, the screen just stays black. Restoring the default file fixes it. Shame.....

Eric 

10 hours ago, B777ER said:

Unfortunately it appears this mod no longer will work in v5.2HF1. When you load it up after clearing the shaders folder, the screen just stays black. Restoring the default file fixes it. Shame.....

Inputting just the code into the current file works as I just found out. Copy/pasting the whole file as is on the P3D forum does not work anymore. So we are good...

• Upvote 1

Eric 

5 hours ago, B777ER said:

Inputting just the code into the current file works as I just found out. Copy/pasting the whole file as is on the P3D forum does not work anymore. So we are good...

Yes, I used a text editor to update the original HDL.hlsl file with the mod float3 patch code, and it all works. How much difference it makes is a bit hard for me to tell without a side by side comparison although it 'seems' better.

Al

Edited by ark

Will this be addressed in next update ??

as I like flying the qw 787 EA on vol clouds off with ASCA which I like.

thou the dark cockpit is really annoying me.

cheers 

mike