Sign in to follow this  
Blind Pilot

Could use a little help from my fellow p3d v5.2 flight simme

Hello, to my fellow prepar3d v 5.2 flight simmer pilots, from Ron Kolesar.
I just performed the following.
I made sure that there wasn't any of my flying programs installed on my pc.
Second of all, I down loaded p3d v5.2.
Third of all, I opened up and extracted p3d v5.2.
I then went to the bottom and clicked on the install.exe file.
It installed with no issues.
I was able to plug in both my license info and my assigned password info with no issue.
It unlocked AKA registered my copy of p3d v5.2 with no issues.
Sp. I thought that maybe, just maybe, with the updated version installed, I could launch p3d with no issues.
Wrong.
I went to the desktop, found the p3d icon on the desktop, tapped my application key and went down to run as admin, and I still received content and registry smi files not found or I'm also getting source file not found.
I only have the options to repair and or to uninstall.
So, please what is going on?
I'm here on the east coast and getting very frustrated.
I can't install any of my add on programs until i get p3d up and running as my foundation program.
Can you please help me to figure out why p3d doesn't want to run on my pc?
I made sure that the UAC and Defender were turned off.
i thought that might be the issue.
No luck.
I'm going to pull p3d from my pc while i wait your reply to my private e-mail address please.
I'm going to attempt to add a snap shot of the error problems for you to take a look at.
I couldn't add a snaptshot when I tried to throw this out onto the p3d forums.
I'm hoping that someone from here can hopefully can help me out.
I'd love to link up with you so that you can help me to install prepar3d v 5.2.
My e-mail address is as follows:
kolesar16417@roadrunner.com
Very Thankfully yours,
One frustrated p3d blind flight simmer pilot.
P.S.
I didn't see anywhere on how to add a file.
Could you help me out here?
That way you can see my error logs and hopefully we can get p3d v5.2 to load on my win 10 machine.

Last edited by Blind Pilot on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous PMNext PM

© 2010-2021 Lockheed Martin Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy | Terms | End-User License Agreement

icon-rss.png  Forum RSS    News RSS

Where did you install it?. Did you perhaps allow it to install to a folder under C:\Program Files. This can cause problems.

John B

2 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

Where did you install it?. Did you perhaps allow it to install to a folder under C:\Program Files. This can cause problems.

I tried both the following:

By default:

c:\program files L Martin/prepar3d

and I've tried:

C:\program files (X86)\ l Martin\prepar3d.

So what did I do wrong?

Can you give to me a bath on where it should go please?

Don't all programs get installed into C:\program files (X86)\

If not, where should it have been installed into please?

Many thanks. 

Ron who's tried everything under the sun to enjoy p3d

11 hours ago, Blind Pilot said:

I tried both the following:

By default:

c:\program files L Martin/prepar3d

and I've tried:

C:\program files (X86)\ l Martin\prepar3d.

I suspect the problem is being caused by Windows 10 and is easily got around.  When you Install into either of the two locations you tried you can be affected by something called 'permissions' which can restrict access to some of your files.

The answer is to go to your C drive (or whichever drive you want to have P3D installed on). and create a new folder directly from that drive.  Give it a title something like P3D5-2 or anything easily identifiable to you. It is important this folder is directly from your C drive (or any other drive you have chosen) and not a sub folder to anything like Program Files or Program Files( X86).

Then when you install P3D just direct the installer to your new folder which should show as C:\ P3D5-2 (or whatever drive letter and title you have used).

All should be well.

• Like 1

John B

Ron stated that he "Run as Admin" so he would not normally have permissions issues with the folder location he installs to since the Admin has full permissions to that folder, so it sounds like perhaps some other problem is causing the issue, maybe the "..\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" folder was available with addons in there, but it is not clear from the description what is going on exactly.

Prepar3D v4 and v5 install into Program Files by default because they are 64bit apps, and Prepar3D v2 and v3 install into Program Files (x86) because they are 32bit apps.

A short note about apps installed into Program Files folders because there seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the perfectly adequate Program Files folders...

Program apps installed into the Program Files folders inherit Read-Only permission for the Users group and when we consider Prepar3D this app needs no further access permissions other than read only for normal operation.

However, if we want to modify files in that folder as a User we cannot edit them with read-only access, say with Notepad, and furthermore, if we install an addon that installs its working files in that folder and then when the simulator is running the addon attempts to modify its files in there when we run it as a User, it cannot work because it cannot modify those read-only files as a User.

So instead we have a range of options to allow the User or the addon to modify files in that read-only location:

We can run the simulator "Run as Admin" which gives the app all permissions to access that folder and modify the contents.

Or

We can install the simulator in a User created folder which the User owns and so by definition that folder can be modified by that User.

Or

We can add the "Modify Allow" permission to the Users group on that folder so that any authenticated User and Admin can modify the contents of that folder safely.

The correct way to provide the permission, since if it is a permission we need, is that we simply provide that permission. So we give the "Users" group "Modify Allow" permission on that folder, which is setting a single checkbox once, similar to making a read-only file read-write. Making a User folder can come with various problems since it is owned by the User that created the folder and access is denied for any other User, and of course, Running as Admin can allow malware attacks. Generally on the forums the advice is to make a User folder to install into and also Run as Admin which is unnecessary when only the modify permission is required.

For this problem I would rename (or delete) all the old Prepar3D folders and start again. The "..\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" folder can be reinstated later if I rename the original. During setup, since I have an adequate size drive, I would allow Prepar3D to install right where it wants to without going into options, so nothing can go wrong at that stage. Then before installing my addons that put their user files in there (e.g. PMDG, Milviz) I would add the Modify Allow permission to the Users group on that folder so I can edit config files in there and so that those addons that reside in there can save their settings during the flight without trouble.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com