Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Best Resolution for MSFS

45 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Overall though, I am really impressed with the performance.  It should be even better with the improvements Asobo have announced for testing.

Absolutely. And after the last optimizations from asobo, even the 787 is now running absolutely fine on 4k.

If they really manage to improve performance even more, it becomes actually possible to start maxing out VR settings for me. And if they don't, it's okay because the performance is more than good enough already and likely won't get worse with dx12 😄

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

5 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

1080Ti, Intel i9 (8086k) running at 5.1 Ghz, 32 Gb ram at 3600.

I can't quite believe the performance I am getting. 

I run at 4k scaled at 70% on a 4k 27 inch monitor.  Settings high / ultra.  I can hold 30 fps most of the time (I get the odd drop off in London city etc., which is to be expected).
With all  the testing and tweaking I have done, this is definitely the best for my kind of spec. 

I have a 1080ti with 8700k at 5.0 ghz, 32 gb ram

I run 4k scaled at 80% on a 32" monitor.  I too lock at 30 and hold it most of the time.   I always want to try 1440p with a 60 lock, but I can never get past the lower res gauges.  Even with Image Sharpening. 

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

45 minutes ago, Mace said:

I have a 1080ti with 8700k at 5.0 ghz, 32 gb ram

I run 4k scaled at 80% on a 32" monitor.  I too lock at 30 and hold it most of the time.   I always want to try 1440p with a 60 lock, but I can never get past the lower res gauges.  Even with Image Sharpening. 

Same. I tried my best to make 1440P look "sharp" on my 4K monitor, but I think I'd have to change monitors to do it. It sucks because in overcast conditions I can reach the mid to low 20's in frames. In another year I would have dropped $500 on a top of the line GPU like the 3080 Ti, but...

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I run 1440p and am not seeing any reason at present to go 4K .

Though to be honest even 1080p at MEDIUM settings is better than most earlier sims ....

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

15 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Same. I tried my best to make 1440P look "sharp" on my 4K monitor, but I think I'd have to change monitors to do it. It sucks because in overcast conditions I can reach the mid to low 20's in frames. In another year I would have dropped $500 on a top of the line GPU like the 3080 Ti, but...

You should be running 4K with the render slider pulled back so it renders at 1440p but sends 4K to the device - not trying to get 1440p to work on a native 4K device.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

You should be running 4K with the render slider pulled back so it renders at 1440p but sends 4K to the device - not trying to get 1440p to work on a native 4K device.

Exactly! Running 4k with 70% (i.e. a render scaling to 1440p internally) looks much better than 1440p on a 4k screen. It is a bit slower, though.

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I run 1440p and am not seeing any reason at present to go 4K .

Though to be honest even 1080p at MEDIUM settings is better than most earlier sims ....

I think it might depend on the monitor you have.  So yours may have a native res that's 1440p.  And I'd say 1080p at medium settings is better than any other current sim as well.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I only fly VR now so the Screen resolution means little. However, I have only ever simmed in 1080k since it came into being, and have been very happy with that. Nothing to compare it with however.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.