Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Change in Icing?

Forced to a higher altitude today for terrain - as I passed through a cloud layer I prepared to battle the standard dreaded coating of thick ice.

Instead, I got a thin bit of translucent ice on the windscreen and a little on the side window - couldn't see any on the airframe.  After I passed through the layer (it was moderate), the small amount I had accumulated disappeared.

I picked up some more on the descent as I passed through a similar layer, but it was also light and dissipated as I continued the descent.  Considering the conditions, this seemed to be almost realistic.  Was a change made in the last update that affects icing, or was it just a matter of the conditions being ripe for a different response?

• Like 3

Randall Rocke

Yes, icing seems much better now.  Before SU4, if you started icing in light cloud, it would not dissipate when you descended out of it or cleared the cloud.  The effect on performance now seems more natural and the buildup on the windshield now looks more realistic.

TBH, I have never iced up ITRW, but I do know those that have and have lived to tell the tale.

• Like 3

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I like the icing effect now.  Less severe and more manageable. 

It is much more like a warning now, which you can recover from if you act quickly, rather than the white coat of death! 😀

• Like 5

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

This is a really great change - I guess I did see the icing changes listed back at the time of the update, but I kind of fixated on the pitot icing adjustment as I was zipping through the list and missed the other icing corrections.

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

17 hours ago, RandallR said:

Considering the conditions, this seemed to be almost realistic.

Flying through a cloud in icing conditions (no precipitation in said cloud) should result in at least some rime ice. It's white, opaque and has a brittle, crystalline texture.

Translucent icing is formed when larger supercool droplets gets "smeared" on the wings and fuselage - think nimbostratus or cumuli formed clouds. This is a slower freezing process with few air bubbles trapped underneath. Hence the translucent texture.

IRL you will usually have a mix of both.

Granted I am no expert on icing (just a PPL "weekend warrior") but getting translucent icing in a light cloud seems off?

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

I passed through a light cloud to get to the needed altitude and the ice formed lightly on the edges of the windshield frame and did not obstruct my view before I was through and it began to diminish.  It was not totally translucent but it wasn't the solid opaque we used to get either (it may have had some crystalline structure - I wish I'd taken a screenshot).  The left window ice was very translucent by comparison - I could see the left wing through it.

I did my flight training in the 70's and a lot of it was during the Winter months.  I recall at least 2 flights where I lost most of my view with a kind of "ice fog" on the windscreen - I had to hold off on my approach until I was able to defrost enough of a "hole" through which I was able to make my approach.

Edited by RandallR
  • Like 1

Randall Rocke