Sign in to follow this  
zihmer001

Yoke Settings (I hope I don't regret asking!)

Mods - if this should be moved, please remove/delete/move...

I am running the Logitech Yoke.  From any real world pilots...would you have some ball park settings for GA aircraft?  I'm not looking for perfect, and I am not creating a separate profile for a 152, 172, Beech 36, and 58.  I just have no idea if the plane should barrel roll with a few degrees of deflection, or hardly move.  I don't want to kick off a firestorm that MSFS is terrible (I think it is fantastic).  As a non real world pilot, I am just looking for some guidance.  

Same if anyone that flies biz jets or commercial, I'd take a little feedback on setting up a yoke for the larger planes as well.  I appreciate any feedback in advance!

• Like 1

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

It's an interesting question. I can tell for 152,172 and Bonanza. Common traits share by  all three: as  slower airplane get as higher control deflection required to maintain the same pitch attitude. For example stalling 172 will require yoke to deflection aft all the way to the chest. In contrast, flying instrument like manner with standard rate of turns calls for very small yoke deflection (around in inch or two in general. In fact, faster Bonanza will require even less control deflections than 172, so in a sense it's more sensitive to control input due to higher cruising speeds.

But If we talk about "big iron" with huge inertia I believe it will completely different picture! I let folks who fly them comment on it

Here is video on youtube I found that shows little bit control deflection in 172 just to have an idea

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I have mine set to 50% sensitivity. Some recommend 70%. Also a 10% dead zone. To be honest I wish I hadn't cheaped out and gone for something better.

I appreciate the feedback.  That video was definitely useful as well as the settings currently being used.

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

I have mine set to 50% sensitivity. Some recommend 70%. Also a 10% dead zone. To be honest I wish I hadn't cheaped out and gone for something better.

10% dead zone...why? I use 0 on my Honeycomb.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

The deadzone is necessary on older yokes with potentiometers as they will jitter about once the pots got flaky.

Note that "linear" settings in game are not actually linear. If you watch the "in game" yoke as you turn your real one the in game yoke moves quite slowly compared to your real one for the first part of your yoke movement and then speeds up. This is definitely not how it works in other sims like P3D .

I have no idea why Asobo did that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

10% dead zone...why? I use 0 on my Honeycomb.

Yeah. On your Honeycomb. I cheaped out and bought a Logitech which I bitterly regret.

32 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Yeah. On your Honeycomb. I cheaped out and bought a Logitech which I bitterly regret.

I gave up using yokes a long time ago. Give me a good joystick with Hall ICs. Doesn't take up half the desk, create noise and jitter, and I can land on a dime...😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I gave up using yokes a long time ago. Give me a good joystick with Hall ICs. Doesn't take up half the desk, create noise and jitter, and I can land on a dime...😉

Well I'm beginning to come to that conclusion. My joystick was expensive and is far superior to my yoke.

19 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

...not actually linear...I have no idea why Asobo did that.

Most likely it’s because the code is inherited from FSX.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

19 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Sounds like you may have had one of the cheaper yokes, most likely CH or Saitek. They have 45 degrees max elevator travel each way, 4" or so elevator travel and use noisy carbon pots for the control. There are too many compromises in Yokes at that level you will almost certainly be better off with a good quality joystick.

That said I did not think anything would sway me away from my Microsoft FFB2 Force Feedback stick  that has kept me in good stead for 20 years now,  but even though it is still plugged in and working perfectly, I find myself almost exclusively using my Fulcrum Yoke.  The control you get with 8" elevator travel and 90 degrees aileron each way is phenomenal.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

22 hours ago, jarmstro said:

You still can.  I can almost promise you that you can sell current yoke on ebay within 5 days.