Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

V5.2 very very very bad performance

Just now, PilotPete99 said:

Thanks, I’m gonna add one component at a time. First the content, then I’ll check the performance, and then scenery if that goes well. I assume I don’t have to reinstall the v5.2 client again? Also, delete ShadersHLSL after uninstalling v5.1 content?

Cheers, Pete 

The Client installs the ShadersHLSL folder and its contents, so I would start with that. 1. Delete your ShadersHLSL folder. 2. Uninstall your 5.2 client. 3. Install the 5.2 client. Then see if that fixed your perf issues.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ok  So  again i have deleted the shaders and .cfg ( as i always do ) an de-installed client and reinstalled and guess what: ) it is working correct now. I have no idea why i didn't work earlier because i did the same things in the same order..... thanks for the support!

Something is definitely borked on my end. Just tried to reinstall v5.2 content, and went to the exact same scenario after doing that and my frame rates drop to 10 FPS. Something on my end doesn’t play well with v5.2 content. I guess I’ll just stick with the updated client for now.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

3 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

I guess I’ll just stick with the updated client for now.

I've gone back to V5.1. 😉

5.2. was not really smooth, but had many small microstutters on my system.. maybe I did not give it enough time.. but it did not feel right..

The good news is that V5.1. runs nicely and in my brief encounter with 5.2. I did not really experience anything that would encourage me to try upgrading again... so as I transition to MSFS, I still have V5.1. to fall back on. 😀

Edit... Have now done Client&Content and performance issues have disappeared.

In my case, V5.1. Content did not play well with V5.2. Client.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 4

Bert

Feel bad for the few that have worse performance. I followed ( I run orbyx) instructions from Nick Cooper on orbyx forums website (and it works even if you don't run orbyx) I usually uninstall and re-install one element at a time so I don't have to re-install everything, Following Cooper's post I un-installed individually but used the setup.exe to reinstall. I've got great performance and a wee bit more room with V-Ram. I'm excited for now.

Copy and past of Coopers post;
"

Orbx Team
Nick Cooper
Administrators

one can read many complaints that there is no improvement, it is worse, it doesn't work etc etc.

The simple answer is indeed to read the instructions for installing the new version and then follow all of them.

Please read through all of the following text before starting the process.

Regardless of where Orbx products or addon aircraft are installed, the P3D installer will leave them alone because it can only

uninstall files that it installed in the first place.

1. using the Windows control panel, uninstall the P3D v5 client and when asked if you want to deactivate P3D v5, answer No.

2. Then uninstall the content and then the scenery and finally the top P3D v5 entry in the Windows control panel.**

3. You will now be left with a P3D v5 root folder that contains only files that you have added. If you added none, it will be empty.

4. Run Setup_Prepar3D.exe in your decompressed download from your P3D account as an administrator.

Make sure that the target directory is the one you are left with after the uninstallation.

Unless you installed to the default location, you will need to make a change.

Wait until the process is complete. You will not be asked to activate P3D again.

If you had everything installed inside the P3D folder,

Global Base must be uninstalled and installed again.

You must run Verify files for all open LC products.

You must run verify files for the Orbx Libraries.

For good measure, also run Sync Simulator.

To find Sync Simulator, Click Settings -> Help -> Sync Simulator.

If you had everything installed outside the P3D folder, then this is the advice from Ben.

If you have installed your Orbx products into a library (i.e., outside the simulator), when you uninstall v5 your Orbx products will still remain installed, but just not linked to your simulator.

Then, once you've installed v5, open Orbx Central. Click Settings -> Help -> Sync Simulator. That will edit your Prepar3D add-ons.cfg, re-adding the Orbx library path and automatically linking your Orbx scenery again.

Once you have completed these steps, you must at least rename or delete your

C:\Users\your user account name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.cfg file

and let P3D build a new one.

You might need to delete the P3D v5 shaders at C:\Users\your user account name\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders.

You can delete the entire Shaders folder.

Ideally, you should run the P3D\Delete Generated Files batch file but it will leave every setting back at default.

If you have spent time on controls settings, for example, you will lose them all. It's up to you.

If you do decide to run the batch file, be sure to run P3D at least once after that and before you run Settings -> Help -> Sync Simulator.

Based on my own experience, doing all of this and nothing else will leave you with all the features of the Hotfix or update working as promised and your Orbx products intact.

EDIT 10th June 2021: Now that P3D v5.2 has been released, it has become clear that unless the user installs at least both the updated Client and the updated Content, anomalies will occur, not least in the operation of the simulator.

For this reason a full reinstallation of all three parts is recommended."

Edited by jimcarrel
  • Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

3 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

EDIT 10th June 2021: Now that P3D v5.2 has been released, it has become clear that unless the user installs at least both the updated Client and the updated Content, anomalies will occur, not least in the operation of the simulator.

For this reason a full reinstallation of all three parts is recommended."

Updating the content is a no go for me. I have tried twice to do so now and it destroyed my performance both times. I have not noticed any anomalies so far just having updated the client, but if I do I will likely have to do a fresh install. In all of the iterations of P3d I have had I have never encountered a problem like this. I have no idea what part of v5.2 content is causing such a massive performance loss, because it doesn’t seem at all logical.

Cheers, Pete

23 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

Updating the content is a no go for me. I have tried twice to do so now and it destroyed my performance both times. I have not noticed any anomalies so far just having updated the client, but if I do I will likely have to do a fresh install. In all of the iterations of P3d I have had I have never encountered a problem like this. I have no idea what part of v5.2 content is causing such a massive performance loss, because it doesn’t seem at all logical.

Cheers, Pete

You seem to have not noticed the part "it has become clear that unless the user installs at least both the updated Client and the updated Content,"

I think I can say that if you re-install the whole kit, you won't have performance problems

Edited by jimcarrel
  • Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

1 hour ago, jimcarrel said:

You seem to have not noticed the part "it has become clear that unless the user installs at least both the updated Client and the updated Content,"

I think I can say that if you re-install the whole kit, you won't have performance problems

You may have misunderstood me. I specifically quoted that part for a reason. I did install all of the parts, and then my performance dropped significantly. Then I attempted to install client plus content, and performance remained terrible. With only updating the client to v5.2, my performance is same as it was with v5.1. Installing v5.2 content killed my performance. The sim is running well for me now having only updated the client to v5.2. 

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99

2 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

Updating the content is a no go for me.

That is how I started off as well... but I am now converted...

Uninstalled Client, Content, deleted Shaders.

Installed 5.2. Client, Content.

Bingo!  Performance is back to normal.

All is well 😀

Bert

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

All is well 😀

Not sure what my issue is, very puzzling, did the exact same thing. Tried twice without success. I have two computers with P3d so I may try on the other one.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99

55 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

All is well 😀

Well I just installed the updated v5.2 client and content onto my other PC and everything looks great. Now I am really confused, as I feel like there is a conflict between the other machine and P3dv5.2. I should mention that the the computer I am having the problems with uses a Ryzen processor, but a similar Nvidia graphics card so I don't think that can be the issue. I may try one more time because I enjoy punishing myself. At least I know that this PC works well with v5.2.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

For me so far so good I uninstalled the scenery, content then client in control panel. And then installed the new 5.2 client, content and scenery. then deleted shaders folder. No fps issues.

Wayne Larsen

Remember that uninstalling a module only removes the stock LM files--any files you (or one of your add-ons) have added that weren't part of the stock install are left in place, and if they're not compatible with the new version you're gonna have issues. 

What I'm not certain about is whether changing a stock file (like shader code, for example) will result in the modded file being left in place because it doesn't match the original stock file (e.g. due to different size, timestamp, or checksum/hash).  The issues with the ShadersHLSL folder suggest to me that may be the case, but at this point it's just a hunch.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

going to try a full uninstall of 5.1 & then full install of 5.2 into same P3D folder location,

here’s hoping…

& any hints or tricks are most welcome!

I always delete the local/shaders folder complete, third party shaders tend to be an issue with an update (poppet) in the tips and trips ticks forum advises that. and i only use one config tweak CPU memory pre-load so i delete the config run the sim default first check then re-apply the tweak. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg