Sign in to follow this  
hanhamreds

REX Real Global airport textures

Just now, strider1 said:

Why not drag and drop into the community folder?

The installer does the moving of the files, there are  ALOT of files to move.  We do not want to require customers to have to manually do this procedure.  Again as @timest stated these changes are not required but recommended. 

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

57 minutes ago, timest said:

Eric, there is nothing out of the ordinary beyond a normal installation procedure. These are not hard requirements, the majority of folks run the installer just fine without having to perform any of these steps. We're only trying to bring attention to the matter to alleviate any foreseeable problems. Perhaps that should have been worded differently, "In case of installation issues...".

But that's exactly the point: simply change the wording to "in case of very rare installation issues perform these steps."

I've installed and reinstalled REX products for years and never had an installation issue. 

2 hours ago, strider1 said:

Why not drag and drop into the community folder?

What is installed is a "configuration" program, along with all the various texture types. The configuration program takes your selections (new looking taxi lines or old looking taxi lines, heavy tire mark area or light tire mark area) and copies the appropriate textures for your selections to the community folder.

And for those using a community folder manager (such as the excellent Addon Linker) you can set the community folder path to a custom path inside the folder structure you use for the manager, then turn it on or off as desired from from the folder manager.

...jim

• Like 2

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

But that's exactly the point: simply change the wording to "in case of very rare installation issues perform these steps."

I've installed and reinstalled REX products for years and never had an installation issue. 

This is my first REX product. I was a bit concerned with the installation instructions as well. But decided to just try installing the product the way I normally install anything. No issues encountered.

I would agree that the installation instructions as presented should be prefaced with the caveat that they are for anyone experiencing issues with the installation.

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

40 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

What is installed is a "configuration" program, along with all the various texture types. The configuration program takes your selections (new looking taxi lines or old looking taxi lines, heavy tire mark area or light tire mark area) and copies the appropriate textures for your selections to the community folder.

And for those using a community folder manager (such as the excellent Addon Linker) you can set the community folder path to a custom path inside the folder structure you use for the manager, then turn it on or off as desired from from the folder manager.

...jim

Thanks for the info, best answer so far !

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Do you have to setup different textures for different airports? Not all airports have the same textures so I wouldn't want to see desert textures in Europe or similar situations. I am tempted to buy this because I believe that you will be releasing a whole lot of products that all work together like you had for P3D and everything looks cohesive. Also, how do freeware airports work? does the developer pick out the textures they want their airport to use? Thanks 

1 hour ago, bosflo said:

Do you have to setup different textures for different airports? Not all airports have the same textures so I wouldn't want to see desert textures in Europe or similar situations. I am tempted to buy this because I believe that you will be releasing a whole lot of products that all work together like you had for P3D and everything looks cohesive. Also, how do freeware airports work? does the developer pick out the textures they want their airport to use? Thanks 

If I understand correctly it overrides the default sim textures. So addon airports that are using the default MSFS textures will use these textures automatically.

If an addon airport is using their own custom textures, you won't see these ones.

Edited by Tuskin38

9 hours ago, bosflo said:

TL;DR, No, you do not have to setup different textures for different airports.

From what I can see with a little bit of exploring in Windows file manager, this product replaces 251 of the default Asobo and base textures. These appear to be pretty much all the textures used by the default airports (and add on airports that use default textures). So no, you would not see desert textures in Europe or similar situations.

And, as mentioned by @Tuskin38, add on airports that use custom textures will continue to use those custom textures. Although, if an add on airport uses a combination of custom textures and default textures, that add on airport will see the REX textures in place of the default textures it uses, but continue to use its custom textures.

...jim

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, Nyxx said:

The one thing REX has done consistently over the years is produce stunning and IMO the best addon textures available.

Agreed- their Soft Clouds and REX 4, REX Airport Direct stood me in good stead all the time I flew P3D.  Their support is superlative.  I'm a fan of their company.

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 4

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

But also what happens when there is a new asobo update and they improve the textures and details. Does REX have to keep up with asobo to make sure they are offering more than asobo defaults?

29 minutes ago, bosflo said:

But also what happens when there is a new asobo update and they improve the textures and details. Does REX have to keep up with asobo to make sure they are offering more than asobo defaults?

Since the sim launched last year I don’t think asobo have improved default textures nor have they announced any plans to do so. If your talking about handcrafted airports and photogrammetry improvements I don’t think this would interfere with what REX are offering here on a global scale.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, rstough said:

We are not saying disable any windows security features.  The key is to make sure that software can move the texture files in the proper place.  Most of the cases it is not an issue, but we have had users that are running more than one Antivirus software and that can cause issues.

As a software engineer, I noticed step 1 was "Please make sure to set the UAC (User Account Control) to “never notify”."

This is instructing users to permanently disable an important Windows security feature.  I do not see anywhere in the instructions to turn this back on.

Experienced Windows users don't need UAC and I have mine turned off, so for most on here this is likely a non-issue.  But for inexperienced users this is a "big ask".

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Carts85 said:

Since the sim launched last year I don’t think asobo have improved default textures nor have they announced any plans to do so.

The problem is not knowing for sure, they may suddenly surprise us with updated textures in the next World or Sim update or in 5 years time...no one knows!

That's why buying things like this is a gamble and personally something I'm looking for in Freeware (again if anyone knows of freeware textures please link!), I'd rather not spend money on something that could and should be updated by Asobo themselves.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 hour ago, MarcG said:

The problem is not knowing for sure, they may suddenly surprise us with updated textures in the next World or Sim update or in 5 years time...no one knows!

That's why buying things like this is a gamble and personally something I'm looking for in Freeware (again if anyone knows of freeware textures please link!), I'd rather not spend money on something that could and should be updated by Asobo themselves.

Asobo are pretty much working from the roadmap so I’d say if it’s not listed there which I don’t think it is it’s probably not in their short term plans. There is no guarantee but at £11.99 I don’t think there is too much risk at that price point for a product that’s improving 37000 airports but each to there own of course.

• Like 2