Sign in to follow this  
beatle

Flickering Cursor

Guest greatdragon

Can anyone help with an annoying problem I have with FSX. No matter what resolution/slider positions/settings all over and resets all over, the cursor is constantly flickering. Spot mode, inside cockpit,right click to change anything. Flicker,flicker,flicker.If the moderators are viewing I have tried every search combination of words to find an answer and no go.I do not have a top of the range system .3.4Ghz with 1Gb,xt1600 256mb,but and a big but a creative soundblaster live! value sound card updated driver to 4 speaker system. Is it a sound problem. I am not at all a computer technical person but I just have a feeling. All other areas of the sim are tolerable to a degree.God Bless those who read this and may be able to shed some light.Rusty. Brisbane OZ.

Are you using an after market set of animated or multicolored mouse cursors? If so, the problem is probably that the hardware can't render them directly and they are being rendered in software, this used to be a big problem back in the FS95/FS98 days, but haven't seen it in quite awhile (well, I never saw it, but I always used the OS default cursors :->)

I will move your post back to the top here so others can see and help.hmm. Sound card, that would be oddball if that was the cause. I do not know what video driver you are using. When is the last time you updated your vid driver?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Oh, I have that too and I always thought it's a new way of hiding the mouse pointer when FSX thinks it is not needed. When the mouse pointer is still, it's hidden, when moving the mouse pointer around, it flickers, and over instruments, once it turns into a hand, it no longer flickers.The graphics card I have is some ATI X800 and I am using the "3D-White (System Scheme)" for the mouse pointers. I quickly changed that to "Windows Default (System Scheme)" and started FSX. No more flickering at all! So it looks as if FSX perhaps only 'works well' with the default mouse pointer scheme.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Me too ! CheersAMD 4200+; 2 Gigs; 2 x 7900gts in SLI, TH2G at 3840 x 1024.

I only get it in full screen. Just tried changing the mouse pointer scheme while FSX was in windowed mode and when I went back into FSX and tried to alt-enter it (to go back to full screen mode) it hung and I had to kill the process.Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Guest greatdragon

Hi guys,Sorry about delay in responding but my dial-up internet is like me and has major limitations in usage.Beatle-Tim, interesting scenario thank you.Mace-Rhett, Video driver is as current as can be.Siggy - thank you for both your answers but to the first! yes I did set up an animation scheme to suit as I am a song writer/music arranger and bandleader I set up "Conductor" scheme. As to your second response it has not mattered whether windowed or full screen.Wizard-thank you for your input.McCrash-Waldo, It has been in any view.Guys, I will go in and change cursor set up and get back as soon as is practicable with a (I hope positive )result.God Bless you all for your thoughts.Rusty, Bisbane OZ.

I think this must be something which FSX causes, as it did it from day one of the FSX install, and wouldn't go away. When I went back to FS9 I found it there, too. MS support suggested moving the hardware acceleration two notches to the left. I did this, and it fixed it - but a week later and I notice it's still doing it, so I have to go and check this again tonight I guess. (This post reminded me I had the issue again.) I'm now using a Logitech wireless "MX Revolution" mouse, but it made no difference. I also added a SoundBlaster Audigy card - which also made no difference (but prompted me to re-register FSX and my Cloud9 software again). . . and it still flickers. I don't have an answer, and it's D***** annoying.Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest greatdragon

Sorry, Oh for for the gift of the green stuff to get broadband.Well, gentlemen my findings were regardless of the mouse unit or sound card used, in my case, my windows XP requires that I set the mouse up via the control panel and nowhere else. I have been able to use my animation cursors as previously mentioned and guess what? The last 5 start ups I have had no flickering cursor at all. So far so good.Thanks for all the input. To Paul J. give it a go.God Bless,Rusty, Brisbane OZ

Hello Rusty:Hope your luck lasts.I have seen this glitch raise its head with both ATI and NVIDIA cards, and in FS9 and FSX. It has always been intermittent, and I have never been able to isolate the solution. In FS9 the main place I have seen it is on a secondary monitor with secondary panel windows undocked. Kill the undocked window or windows and the flickering stopped. Sometimes changing resolution fixed it, sometimes restarting fixed it, sometimes something else, or it just stopped by itself. It has always seemed to have a mind of its own on my system. Fortunately, it has been a while since I saw it, but no thanks to anything that I knowingly did so I want be surprised if it raises its head again at some time in the future.Specifically what did you do in the control panel to stop the flickering?Happy flying:RTH

I'd like to know, too, 'cos mine STILL flickers in FSX and FS9. I use only the standard pointer - not even the shadow effect. Doesn't matter whether wired or wireless mouse. Hunted the MS site - no luck there.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

That's weird, normally you would only get that flickering of the cursor when its being software rendered instead of hardware rendered, if you are using a standard pointer with no shadow, there's no reason it shouldn't be hardware rendered (check the Troubleshooting tab of the display control panel applet [right click on the desktop and select properties] and make sure the hardware acceleration slider is on full).

left out a step in the last post.Right click the desktop and select propertiesSettings Tab select the Advanced buttonTroubleshoot tab in this dialog then adjust the slider to full

H/W acceleration is set to full. With the Windows built-in 3D-White pointer scheme, I only see the cursor in windowed mode or while it is moved in full screen mode. As soon as the pointer is no longer moved around, it disappears. Even while moving the pointer around, it flickers.Siggy

Siggy Schwarz