Sign in to follow this  
Benbo

Best P3Dv4.5 settings.

Hi Guys,

Looking for a little advice on settings in P3Dv4.5,I currently upgraded my PC and before i start pushing the sliders all the way to the right,

just asking what would be the best settings for my set up,thanks in advance.

Gary Jones

I7 11700k

GTX 1060 6GB

1 TB SSD

32GB ram 3200mhz

I know my GPU may fall short but i have a better one on order.

Benbo, why don't you go ahead and experiment with the settings yourself, now that you have upgraded your PC?  There is no best settings that someone can provide because only you know what your graphics preferences are. In other words, do you prefer better quality and lower frame rate, or the other way around?  Or something in the middle?  Only you know it. Also, what sceneries do you use?  Default or 3rd party?  There are many variables, on which "best" settings will depend.

Your GPU can handle P3Dv4, and I suggest that you don't hesitate to play around with the sliders and find the sweet spot for yourself. Again, if I or someone else gave you a settings recommendation, how do we know what constitutes "best" for you?

I've found the best options are to monitor your CPU and GPU use and adjust settings so as to not overload either.

There are a few things that will specifically overload the GPU.

• Vegetation shadows
  • Volumetric Fog

Other things just add to the load and start cutting a few fps the more load.

• Seeing cloud distance to max will cause loss of a few frames, only when there is complete cloud cover though.
  • Autogen scenery distance will increase load, I generally use medium/high.
  • And custom buildings can greatly kill a frame rate, unfortunatly the 3D custom building rendering in v4.5 (and earlier) is not the best and there will be times where there is a need to lower the value as a trade off.

Note I'm not talking about autogen, I actually have that maxed in my v4.5 and further increase it via custom tuning of the prepar3d.cfg file, there are so many tuning options in the P3D config file, mine is highly customised and I have several addtional configs to use depending on the flying situation.

It atually amazes me when people give the advice to just delete and run with a stock cfg file, which is literally like taking a Porche and detuning it back the the level of a Vdub Beatle.

There is so much that can be set in the config files, I set the road traffic to a lower speed (so it doesn't run like the keystone cops), made the sun and moon a more agreable size, improved the VC shadows, improved the accuracy of vegetation placement, tons of stuff, all for tuning the perfomance and look feel.

One thing I found that provides for the best performance tuning options is to run the sim @ 30 fps and I don't mean by using the in sim frame limiters.

Locking @ 30 fps outside the sim via vsync @ a 30 Hz screen mode, or via RivaTuner, or via the NVidia driver options, means less load and being able to ramp up to higher settings without sacrificing smoothness.

Otherwise you should be able to do pretty much what you want.

My sig has some v4.5 vids some of whihc show the settings in use if you want to have a looksee.

Cheers

Pick with max autogen inc. additional settings in cfg file.

40C94221DF2FCF2E20941A3301496AE1F8CDEBFF

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Thanks for the advice guys,im fairly new to P3D coming from FSX SE for many many years.Im still no 100% ok with the settings within P3D thats why i asked for the advice.

My addons include

Orbx Global

Orbx Vector

Orbx LC Europe

Aerosoft Airbus range

Active Sky

ASCA

Plus a few addon airports EGLL,EGKK to name but a couple.

Regards the config file i really wouldnt know how to edit it at all,not very good with PC stuff lol.

Gary Jones.

Edited by Benbo