Sign in to follow this  
mpo910

IMPORTANT: If you have terrible looking v5.2 EA clouds

Please read carefully!

Due some testing I´ve did, I´ve found some strange differences between the new volumetricclouds.cfg file, LM delivered with P3D V5.2, and my prior files which I´ve got during BETA testing and even had before with 5.1.

12th Jun 2021 12:00 AM (German time): 

• As I see this, at the moment and without having a feedback from LM yet, there are some missing lines in the config. At least this COULD be the PARTLY the cause some of you are having strange looking clouds!
  • I´ve informed LM about this and will provide you feedback as soon as I know if my assumptions are correct or not.

12th Jun 2021  01:47 PM (German time):

• LM has confirmed that the volumetriccloud.cfg is correct and the changes are also correct!

Conclusion: Gerards changes have a positive influence on the overall look of clouds. 

If you give Gerard (The Autor of this file) and me (positive enough) feedback here, I will parse the file to LM and ask them politely to use this and make it "the standard". 

How to proceed:

1. Download his file here: Link to Volumetricclouds.cfg by GSalden provided
  2. Head to the directory: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5 and find the file called: VolumetricClouds.CFG
  3. Rename this file in VolumetricClouds.CFG.OFF (This makes sure you don´t loose the original file)
  4. Copy and Paste GSalden file at the directory as named at 2
  5. Delete your Shaders at: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5
  6. Run P3D and test please (First without ASP3D or any other weather injector!
  7. Then test with ASP3D
  8. Provide screenshots and feedback in this thread please

These Sceenshots I´ve made while using @GSalden his recently posted volumetriclouds.cfg and I find it really excellent work he did!

I know how many hours it takes to change and tests in small incremental steps.

I will do some further testing to make sure, visuals and performance are in balance (this seems to be the case with this cfg. file).

First Two shots with GSalden his profile:

1. FL 400
  2. Volumetricclouds slider at MEDIUM
  3. 3 layers OC 1st Picture
  4. 2 layer OC 2nd picture

Less  waffles (not 100% eliminated but better)

Enlarge the Pictures for full resolution please (Click on it)

eZvVahz.jpegCPYSN5t.jpeg

ia0AJik.jpeg0dQfqmt.jpegoECLdQ4.jpegf8wTiv2.jpegnXufhXc.jpeg9TaoxhE.jpegYeqLOZJ.jpegyZ36Opm.jpegNwfeTkm.jpegPwElcn5.jpegl5pUAyo.jpegPD8uFrK.jpegQVGkzFw.jpegXg7OmN2.jpegfkZwIIF.jpeg

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png