Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

FX Tool Help Please

I have read the SDK. I have installed the FX Tool. When I run in Window mode I can get the FX Tool window displayed. How do you use it? I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a green crosshair. I see no green crosshair. I moved the X,Y and Z adjusts with no effect. How do you make it visible? Is Netframework 2.0 required to be installed use this tool? Is there any simple step by step tutorial for using this tool. I want to be able to view an effect for an afterburner. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Hi Reggie. I guess I was not descriptive enough. It is the FSX Environment Kit SDK for the Special Effect Tool (visualfx.tool). The tool is to be used for visualizing an effect in FSX. It shows up in the top menu as FX Tool. Regards, Bob.

Bob, I will have to say that I've found the FX Tool rather disappointing in many ways...However, as to your specific question, in the upper left side of the tool's dialog, you'll see a check box for "Show Location" along with three sliders for x, y, z coordinates. You must click on/off/on the check box each time you wish to see the crosshairs.These three sliders are very 'twitchy' and appear to be using meter as their unit of measurement. As a result, I've found it best to type in the values needed, particularly since the slider only affects 'whole numbers' and won't allow decimal precision.The "crosshairs" are black, which does make them somewhat difficult to spot...First, here's the FX Tool's settings:http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4920/ciifsxfxtool1jc.jpgHere I show the cross-hair display and then the effect assigned in action:http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6497/ci...hotstart2kj.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi. Thanks. Now why couldn't ACES have done that! Simple explanations should have been in the SDK's. I'll try it now again. I assume NFW 2.0 is not needed, is that right? Best regards, Bob.