Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Thinking of coming back since first release

Hi all, 

So when msfs was first released, like many I purchased it and was in awe with my first few tries, but given the issues that became apparent after a few uses, that feeling quickly went away and I haven’t used the sim since probably a month after it was released. 

I decided I would give flight simulation a break for 2 reasons, first, MSFS just didn’t seem at the time in its base offering what I was looking for in a sim (awaiting on mods and add-ons) and second, while at the same time the sim left a sour taste in my mouth, ill admit it ruined my enjoyment using p3d because I was seeing what msfs can truly be visual wise(No arguments please, this is my personal experience). So as I said I left the computer sit since then.

I’m now getting an urge to give it another go in hopes that it’s matured a little bit since release, so after all this, I’m looking at seeing what the “must haves” are for add-ons as it sits (I’m planning on getting the payware crj)

What would you consider the must haves right now(freeware or payware), and more importantly has the sim matured a bit since release?

Cheers 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I wouldn't consider the CRJ a must buy when the WT CJ4 is available for free. Grab their G1000 and G3000 mods as well.

The Grravel cubs are about as much fun as you can have in the sim, and also free. If you absolutely need to spend money, the Justflight arrows are both well worthwhile. The little Ryan ST-A is tons of fun, as are the FlyingIron Spitfire and Milviz Corsair.

The CJ4 is the best jet available for the sim bar none. I'm hoping the FBW A320 will be able to join it in a couple months once they get the new navigation system in place and it matures just a tad more.

Edited by kiwikat
  • Like 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

1 minute ago, kiwikat said:

I wouldn't consider the CRJ a must buy when the WT CJ4 is available for free. Grab their G1000 and G3000 mods as well.

The Grravel cubs are about as much fun as you can have in the sim, and also free. If you absolutely need to spend money, the Justflight arrows are both well worthwhile. The little Ryan ST-A is tons of fun, as are the FlyingIron Spitfire and Milviz Corsair.

The CJ4 is the best jet available for the sim bar none. I'm hoping the A320 will be able to join it in a couple months once they get the new navigation system in place and it matures just a tad more.

No I definitely have no need to spend money, but willing to in order the get the best possible experience with this sim. I will be sure to check out the cj4 and their GPS mods.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

It's awesome that you can add so much to this sim without spending an extra dime. Hope you enjoy your time with it! I feel like it's finally headed in the right direction since the last update. They addressed a lot of things that were targeted towards the more serious hobbyists vs. casual fliers. It's really the first time since December 2019 that I've felt even a bit convinced that they're in this for the long haul.

• Like 4

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Fly by Wire A 32N.  

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Carenado Piper Arrow III.  At least for me I have Just Flight version also.

A1R's Ryan STA. (Don't have it yet but only heard good things about it).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Pretty much any of the several payware WW2 warbirds for it are worth a look and all of them add something to the sim which you don't get by default. The Top Rudder Solo 103 is very good fun for exploring and very inexpensive. Similarly, the Fly Inside Bell 47G adds some chopper fun but note that there is a freebie chopper too (HC-135). The freebie AlphaJet is worth a look. Carenado's PA34 Seneca is worth checking out for its good overall realism and most Carenado add-on aeroplanes can now use enhanced GPS add-ons too. The AT Simulations Piaggio P.149 is a very nice older GA tourer. Just Flight's Turbo Arrow III/IV is a worthwhile GA single add-on. If you want a nice, inexpensive vintage aeroplane with a good turn of speed, the Blue Mesh Caudron C.430 Rafale is a worthy choice, although be aware that it can be a handful to fly and it has no autopilot. There are reviews of most of these payware add-on aeroplanes on my channel if you need the gen on them.

Flightsim.to is worth a visit for photogrammetry cities which aren't there by default and many freebie add-on airports of a very good standard. MCE works with MSFS if you have that, so that's a bonus. Latin VFR AREX regional environment X (Europe and N America) adds a lot to the realism of the airport vehicles and is worth checking out although there are some freebie products which come close to it, so again have a look around.

More than anything, be aware that whilst there are many freebie utilities out there and its tempting to just grab them all, a lot of them are potentially the cause of sim instability, whereas the payware alternatives tend to have to stay updated so that they don't cause problems if there is a sim update, so sometimes it is worth going with the payware alternatives even though the freebie ones look attractive. I've tended to avoid throwing tons of freebies at the sim, and MSFS is stable on my PC and has no problems; I don't think this is a coincidence.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

They still break it every second update but you get used to that.

Must have addons ? Really depends what you are into. Essential payware for me personally:

- Just Flight Turbo Arrow III/IV though you may be better getting the Standard Arrow first and then the Turbo at the 66% discount. Whether to get just the Turbo or both depends how often you are likely to use the standard once you have the Turbo.

- the GTN750 GPS mod (currently free but eventually will be payware)

There is others stuff like the Piaggio 149 (providing you are happy with 25khz radio and no autopilot) and the Fiat G91 NATO Cold War miljet (sort of a Euro Sabre) which are very good and I recommend but they are not a "must have" just nice to have .  The Carenado Mooney used to be a "must have" but it now sort of doubles up with the Just Flight Turbo Arrow. The Mooney is faster and easier to fly but the Turbo Arrow has way more character.  

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

And the mother of all 2021 addons is approaching fast on the radar screen. The PMDG DC-6.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Yes, it has matured a bit, and as soon as you have the working title mods (all of them, basically) and the FBW A320 you're good to go and see if you like it now, without having to get into payware in case it is not up to your expectations yet.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Has it matured? As you have already read, many responses, each one angled to its own opinion on the matter. It's been 10 months since release. The thing gets bug fixes every single week since, so the answer to your question is absolutely yes in the aggregate. Has it matured in ways that you would consider maturing? That could be a disappointed no. Just look at the weekly lists of "bugs" and "wish list" that Asobo publishes. It's good of them to do so, but there you may find a bug or wish that is not fulfilled and you may think, "they haven't done a bloody thing in 10 months that I want them to do." As for freeware/payware. It's a matter of how you fly and what you like to fly. I can't tell you anything about general aviation. I don't fly that way so VFR does not matter to me. I fly FBW A320 95% of the time and that mod is free and it is amazing. Don't miss out on that one, it presently is, in my opinion, the best mod of any MSFS default aircraft perhaps ever. Others may disagree. Like ATC? You'll be unhappy. The SDK has not "matured" enough for that to be useful at all. Native ATC is a mess and I no longer use it at all, it's that bad. Others may disagree. What has matured the best in my opinion are the clouds. Amazing, but weather? Ooops. Lots of complaints about real-time accuracy. I don't care about that, I love the clouds. How about real time AI traffic? I don't know. I turned AI traffic off because it crashed my sim again and again and again. Then again I grew tired of it in FSX and don't need it. Good luck to you on your MSFS 2020 journey!

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

Some good comments and suggestions here, I appreciate them all.

A few things that I find most important in a sim is the depiction and integration of real world weather, which by the sounds of it, is still not up too par in msfs. also being able to properly plan a flight and execute the flight in a somewhat realistic manner(airliner operations). ATC is not one bit important to me as I never used it in p3d or previous Flight sim offerings (I’ve started with FS95). 

I am making a list on what to try and look at with all these suggestions. I do feel this can and will be the sim of the future, just hoping I’m not wrong.

I fired up MSFS for the first time in more than a month yesterday….first time since the last update. It was a great experience just using default everything. Real time weather was spot on all afternoon. Shot a ton of approaches /A. Still waiting for Working Title to overhaul RNAV…and the Asobo ATIS/AWOS fix to report clouds. But everything else was fantastic. This sim is really starting to get there. 

• Like 2

Chris