Sign in to follow this  
spilok

5.2's ABSOLUTELY BEST ADVANCEMENT

I keep reading about all the various responses to this new version of P3d.  I read about EA quite a bit, and other positive and negative observances with this new version, but I need to say the ONE thing that is absolutely phenomenal about this sim.  This new version has given me the ONLY thing I wanted after the past year of 5.1.  That ONE thing is true STABILITY!

I have flown it for the past few days since it's been out, and I am convinced that I got all my wishes.  My wish was for the ability to fly without the VRAM exceeding its capabilities and crashing. My wish was to fly from point A to point B without excessive pauses or stutters.  My wish was to not be on "pins and needles" during my flight expecting an unbelievable pause or stutters that made my flight terribly "unflyable".  Those are the pains I had with 5.1.  I can honestly say that EVERY flight I've had has been so wonderful and each and every one has completed without issues.  THAT is what 5.2 has given me.  I also have all my settings pretty much set to max and have not had to change them mid-flight.  I used to have to change my TIME in the sim to get back to a fair amount of stability to end the flight.  That has not happened to me once with this new update.  The LM team gave me true VRAM stability and true confidence that I will finish my flight satisfactorily.

Yes, there are still things that need to be done to please everyone on this forum and elsewhere...such as EA tweaking and cloud realism, but with Active Sky and the new 5.2 update, I couldn't be happier.  My flights are truly worth looking forward to, and I thank LM and their herculean efforts to bring this update to us.

Thank you.

Stan

• Like 25
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Flying-Hare said:

You are an amazing person! 

Not really.  But it does feel good to give credit where credit is due!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

How do you trust them? Updates come out once a year and they don't communicate with anyone. Where does your confidence come from?

Edited by Flying-Hare
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Flying-Hare said:

How do you trust them? Updates come out once a year and they don't communicate with anyone. Where does your confidence come from?

Confidence comes from experience.  I've been simming for over 20 years and eventually things work out.  This last version, though, is excellent, in my opinion.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Flying-Hare said:

I would tend to think that after a "suck it and see" approach and being happy with that experience, confidence would automatically follow.

Further, I think the MSFS communications approach, which in my opinion, was put in place specifically to "kill off" any competition, has had a beneficial SIDE EFFECT in that people know what is going on in that platform to a better extent than with the others. This is a good thing, but quite often what is promised with MSFS is accompanied with bugs and issues.  

I am somewhat sceptical, I know, but I am a regular user of all three major flight sims.  Lack of information about updates with P3D and XPlane has never really bothered me though.

Finally, I would love to have spiloks' confidence with each update of MSFS.  I simply don't, but that does not stop me enjoying MSFS greatly.

Tony   

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

51 minutes ago, Flying-Hare said:

Once a year?  Not true at all. The last update (V5.1 HF1) was ~23 Jan 21 (4.5 months ago), the one before that (v5.1) on 28 Oct 20 (three months before that) and the one before that (v5.0 HF2) on 21 Jul 20 (three months before that).  etc etc etc

As far as not communicating with anyone, that's a falsehood as well.  Sure, they're not the Chatty Kathy type, but there is some limited public feedback from the LM staff in their forums, and developers seem to have open back channels to them as well.  Certainly a lot more than we ever got from ACES.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

14 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Once a year?  Not true at all. The last update (V5.1 HF1) was ~23 Jan 21 (4.5 months ago), the one before that (v5.1) on 28 Oct 20 (three months before that) and the one before that (v5.0 HF2) on 21 Jul 20 (three months before that).  etc etc etc

As far as not communicating with anyone, that's a falsehood as well.  Sure, they're not the Chatty Kathy type, but there is some limited public feedback from the LM staff in their forums, and developers seem to have open back channels to them as well.  Certainly a lot more than we ever got from ACES.

5.1 HF1 was November. 

4 hours ago, Chapstick said:

5.1 HF1 was November. 

Yup, you're right...I must have re-downloaded it in Feb to have that date on the files.  But the point is the same--it's not taking a year between updates.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yes, stability is number one. It was so annoying to get a DXGI-hung-ctd on final. Since I always fly in VR (Rift-S), I had this regularly with VRAM hungry planes (Milviz KA350, TFDi B717) on large airports (Orbx ESSA, Gaya LOWW). Yesterday, I could land the KA350 and taxi to the gate at LOWW, even at night and with dynamic lighting. It was simply stunning to taxi along the parked Austrian Airlines fleet and see all the nightlighting and floodlight.

Michael

• Like 1

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

6 hours ago, Flying-Hare said:

Please point me to the promiss from LM that they will ever communicate with you and keep you up to date? They didn't. Right? And where do they state how often they release a update? 

You clearly expect something no one has ever promised. 

I clearly can see where Spilok his confidence is coming from

I'll turn it around now.

MSFS had promissed a lot of stuff. And every update they brake lots of things. The visuals where the best in Alpha stage. Now it's gotten worse...hence the short LOD we have and tree issues. AP that's doesn't work.

I want no MSFS debate. It's just an example that communication isn't always a solution for getting people's trust. 

I trust P3D that stability is a huge benefit and they WILL achieve this. 

It's the visuals they have to work on to please me a bit more now. 

Marcus

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

This isn't true though. Everytime I change views I get a long pause. I had total stability with 5.1 and this has pushed everything back. I've just completed a EGLL-VTBS flight and the constant pause and stutter when changing views completely ruins any immersion in the sim. I don't understand why as I'm getting 70 FPS and only using 4.5GB of VRAM out of 11GB available.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

for us VR-enthusiasts there is even more than the improved VRAM-management:

if you use programs which communicate through the simconnect-window, like ActiveSky or ProAtc-X: the new HTML5-coding enables a menu to be clicked and scrolled even if it is projected outside of the VC. Default window position is on the left side where it does not disturb the view. All that shows that LM is much interested in VR - good for future developments.

Michael

• Upvote 2

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Thanks everyone for the detailed answers. I was wrong. Updates are released every six months. For me, the dark cockpit is the biggest disappointment. This basic thing should be fixed immediately.

23 minutes ago, Flying-Hare said:

Thanks everyone for the detailed answers. I was wrong. Updates are released every six months. For me, the dark cockpit is the biggest disappointment. This basic thing should be fixed immediately.

Wait for the EnvShade update …

• Like 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0