Sign in to follow this  
precog

I've been everywhere, man!

Well, not quite, but that is the plan!

I've been having a blast flying around the recent world updates of the UK and France!

I've started to record and keep track of my flights so that I have a visual record of everywhere I've explored, as you can see in the attached image.   Hopefully one day I will have covered the entire globe!

FSD-flight-map.png

Favorite places I've been to so far would Réunion near Madagascar, and the Vancouver region in Canada.  What about you guys?

• Like 5

All I can say is that I have now been a ton of places that I would never even have dreamed of bothering to go to in any other sim, for all of these years.

There's actually something there to see, now!!

• Like 8

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What kind of airplane are you using? I am waiting for a solid GA airplane to come out to do a world tour. Fast enough, de ice capability... Although if Carenados 170 is any good it would be fun to go across Canada in... I am based in Vancouver, and the first thing I did in the sim was take the 172 across Canada. Fun stuff. I have been all over, including around the UK. Mostly stick to North America. There is a lot to see, and I am a nerd in that I always start where I left off. 

There's so much to list:

Glacier National Park, Teton/Yellowstone area, Phoenix area up to Sedona, Canyonlands, and Florida.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

12 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

What kind of airplane are you using? I am waiting for a solid GA airplane to come out to do a world tour. Fast enough, de ice capability... Although if Carenados 170 is any good it would be fun to go across Canada in... I am based in Vancouver, and the first thing I did in the sim was take the 172 across Canada. Fun stuff. I have been all over, including around the UK. Mostly stick to North America. There is a lot to see, and I am a nerd in that I always start where I left off. 

My go-to airplanes depending on the size of leg is the VL-3 925 mod, Cessna caravan, xcub and TBM for some long legs

A nice fight is Glasgow, Scotland to Islay, Scotland.

I'm not sure everyone appreciates the title of this thread, "I've Been Everywhere, Man." This was a very popular country song back in the 1950s and 1960s, first recorded by Hank Snow, then Johnny Cash. The song definitely applies to MSFS. The song starts slowly, then really kicks into super high gear. If you've never heard it, here's a link: 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

49 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

Deicing back in the day on on something like a 210 was a rubber boot on the leading edge that could be inflated to crack the ice. 

It was not super effective and really only serves to get out of ice not fly in it for any sustained time. This is what the 210 POH has to say (quoted from here https://www.flyingmag.com/safety/weather/madness-icing/ ):

An accumulation of ½ inch of ice on the leading edges can cause a large (up to 500 fpm) loss in rate of climb, a cruise speed reduction of up to 30 kias, as well as a significant buffet and stall speed increase (up to 15 knots). Even after cycling the deicing boots, the ice accumulation remaining on the unprotected areas of the airplane can cause large performance losses. With residual ice from the initial ½ inch accumulation, losses up to 300 fpm in climb, 15 kias in cruise, and a stall speed increase of seven knots can result. With one inch of residual accumulation, these losses can double.

The more modern TKS made system, as fitted to aircraft like the Cirrus instead of boots,  involves pumping de-icing fluid out from the leading edge and in some cases onto the windscreen. Whilst more effective than boots it is more expensive and relies on a supply of fluid to continue operation. 

Again TKS really only serves to get out of ice not fly in it for any sustained time.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Lets see. I guess that I did flights in Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Burma, Canada, Caribbean, Chile, China, Costa Rica, France, Greece, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kirghizia, Laos, Lybia, Mexico, Oman, Morocco, Pakistan,  Panama, Peru, Philippines, PNG, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Solomons, Somalia, Spain, Switzerland, Tadjikistan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, United Emirates, UK, USA.  I reckon I miss a couple of them.

There are thousands of really interesting flights to do in this sim, not only because of the scenery but also the configuration of the flight (elevation profile, approach etc).

Mostly with the XCub, the Corsair and the Spit.

EDIT + Vietnam, I knew I had forgotten some

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, jpe828 said:

why not get a jf turbo arrow?

2 hours ago, wim123 said:

why not get a jf turbo arrow?

The Arrows do not have de-icing.  In real life you could add aftermarket boots but that is not modelled in game, if you ice up and cannot do a quick U Turn you are in trouble. The cabin heat helps a little with the windshield but you still fall out of the sky eventually from structural icing.

Piper made a prototype pressurised Arrow which presumably would have came with a de-icing option but they crashed it and abandoned the project.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

I would like to fly into every state in the US.  There is a driving map online that does this, visiting major sights or national monuments along the way, and I am thinking of replicating this in a suitable GA aircraft with a good view. 

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/72030/map-shows-ultimate-us-road-trip

The aircraft would need to have good cruise speed (or I would never complete it!), autopilot, and a fairly good low and slow capability. 

For just one state, UTAH seems to be the one; it has spectacular scenery just about everywhere you fly!  I intend to visit Utah personally (when we are free once again!) and drive Byway 12, and just stop off along the way.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

7 hours ago, Dillon said:

There's so much to list:

Glacier National Park, Teton/Yellowstone area, Phoenix area up to Sedona, Canyonlands, and Florida.

So you guys don't even leave your country in the virtual world. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

So you guys don't even leave your country in the virtual world. 😉

https://ibb.co/2dykXn2

i do fly everywhere, but the us is enticing for small aircraft because of the many many airfields there.

i am, from netherlands btw, but dont fly there often..not very interesting.

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The Arrows do not have de-icing.  In real life you could add aftermarket boots but that is not modelled in game, if you ice up and cannot do a quick U Turn you are in trouble. The cabin heat helps a little with the windshield but you still fall out of the sky eventually from structural icing.

Piper made a prototype pressurised Arrow which presumably would have came with a de-icing option but they crashed it and abandoned the project.

The upcoming DC6 by PMDG will easily handle icing. It was called the Globe Master. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS