Sign in to follow this  
marangog

How to get photogrammetry

Hi,
I can't get the London or Paris photogrammetry, though Brussels for example is fine. My specs are
RTX 2070 super 8gb
i7-9700 @ 3.00GHz
16Gb RAM (2666)
 I was wondering if increasing my RAM to 32Gb would help.

Also, are there any in-game tweaks to save memory (not VRAM or Pagefile)? I have used Contents manager to remove jets, and would be happy not to load any airports/challenges if that would free more memory - and if it is possible. I bought MSFS mainly for the scenery it promised.

Any help here would be appreciated.

If you are neither getting Paris nor London, but Brussels works, that to me is an indication that you possibly haven't installed the world updates.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 2

@marangogmy specs are in my signature and I have all the updates installed, but all the cities are in a nuclear meltdown and photogrammetry doesn't do anything for me. I'd also like to know what I'mk missing to tweak to enjoy the scenery. I have FPS in the 40s and my GPU% is is the top 90s to 100.

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

1 hour ago, sauviat said:

@marangogmy specs are in my signature and I have all the updates installed, but all the cities are in a nuclear meltdown and photogrammetry doesn't do anything for me. I'd also like to know what I'mk missing to tweak to enjoy the scenery. I have FPS in the 40s and my GPU% is is the top 90s to 100.

Martin

i finally decided to put it off, much better, can fly over big cities now without issues, looks good enuf to me.

I agree with Farliss.

As a first step, double check that the world updates are downloaded installed and enabled in content manager.

It is not automatic you need to go in to content manager and manually install and enable each update separately.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

One option to reduce the melted look is to slowly circle around (or even pause the sim to allow it to catch-up) the area your interested in to get the cache loaded up with Photogrammetry.

You can also hit R + Ctrl minus to slow down to 1/4 speed, while you go out to the galley for a cup of java 

• Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Thanks, Farlis and Glen, but I do have all updates installed. Steam won't allow me to play unless I choose to download the updates. Contents manager lists various planes, bush trips, training sessions, and airports plus a 79Gb Core content of mandatory packages. I could delete all except the last one, or download any that are marked as Not installed. But there is no option to install anything.  In an early attempt to solve this problem, I re-downloaded the full 165Gb package from Steam.

I'm thinking the problem is shortage of memory. I can't afford a better video card. Doubling the RAM would be relatively cheap, but it would be a waste if the Arc de Triomphe  is still an ugly hotel building.

I'm hoping there is someone out there with a machine similar to mine and with similar expectations of MSFS.

22 minutes ago, marangog said:

Thanks, Farlis and Glen, but I do have all updates installed. Steam won't allow me to play unless I choose to download the updates.

...the World Update packages are separate downloads obtained from the marketplace though.Can you go to marketplace, click on free content>yes and confirm it says "Owned" on all of them.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, marangog said:

Thanks, Farlis and Glen, but I do have all updates installed. Steam won't allow me to play unless I choose to download the updates. Contents manager lists various planes, bush trips, training sessions, and airports plus a 79Gb Core content of mandatory packages. I could delete all except the last one, or download any that are marked as Not installed. But there is no option to install anything.  In an early attempt to solve this problem, I re-downloaded the full 165Gb package from Steam.

I'm thinking the problem is shortage of memory. I can't afford a better video card. Doubling the RAM would be relatively cheap, but it would be a waste if the Arc de Triomphe  is still an ugly hotel building.

I'm hoping there is someone out there with a machine similar to mine and with similar expectations of MSFS.

I have a very similar machine w/ 16gb more memory, and I'm always overclocked to 5.0Gz on all cores and I guess your 9700 is turboclocked up to a similar clockspeed.  I was fooled by the update and was not aware of the need to go to the Marketplace, select and install each update, even though you, as you say, are forced to update.  Really, I think you're only forced to download as the install is separate, or as The Moose says it's entirely separate and accessible thru the Marketplace.

Definitely pick up more memory.  I get into the low 20Gb in busy areas sometimes and also routinely are aroun 16Gb in lighter areas, which means you must be paging to your hard drive much more which can't be good.  If you can find a matched set of 16 or even 32Gb modules that would be best, or at least try to find the exact same memory you have now in a 16Gb size.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

The melted buildings (and trees) was one of the immediate things to strike me when I loaded the game for the first time 9 months ago.  I was very unimpressed and thought well if that is the best they can do then what on earth was all the pre launch fuss about? Have recently returned to MSFS but I am staggered that we have the melted look on the game load up screen hardly much of a recommendation.  So I avoid areas with photogrammetry when I can but even flying over the Wollongong area (just south of Sydney Australia) at 5000 ft in the bonanza you get the melted look.  On the other hand the Sydney built up area with Orbx addon looks very good.  Hope that this eventually gets sorted.

Bruceb

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

@Rob_Ainscough Hi Rob, for the past 3 months plus, I have only been flying the H135 for a number of hours each day. I have spent hours around Paris, as I lived there for many years, but the cache does not do anything for me. The same with London and elsewhere.

I only have 20mbps broadband speed and had thought that was the issue, but when others have the same issue with a faster broadband, I began to doubt that theory. I have even sat the heli on top of the Arc de Triomphe for a couple of hours - going out for a walk - with no change!

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

10 hours ago, marangog said:

Did you remember to "buy" the World Updates in the marketplace?

Whilst they are free, at least for the time being, you do still have to hit the "buy" button in the marketplace to get them.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, marangog said:

You could be spot on with the shortage of RAM and perhaps other hardware issues. I've recently been in the same shoes. Nothing helped except changing hardware. I can confirm that the biggest impact was made by two major components, a Pro motherboard and 32GB of high speed RAM overclocked. 16GB was fine but textures often looked blurry and I could see them load and change as I moved the camera, also was getting stutters, upped it to 32GB and overclocked it and now its much smoother experience and textures look better as well. This was just my experience but by what you are saying it yours could be very similar scenario.

You will read everywhere that 16GB is enough as it only shows 12-14GB of usage BUT they forget to account for the reserves needed to run the OS and other things. As soon as I upgraded to 32GB the minimum usage suddenly went up to approx 16GB and as soon as I come anywhere near an airport or city it goes to 21-22GB. This is clear proof that 16Gb just isn't enough in reality. Stutters are also much less and FPS drops are also rare now.

For the first time I feel this thing is smooth and very enjoyable. I am now limited by the GPU as it keeps running at 99% 🙂 Need a 3080ti !

Edited by Bandyka

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

9 hours ago, brucewtb said:

The melted buildings (and trees) was one of the immediate things to strike me when I loaded the game for the first time 9 months ago.  I was very unimpressed and thought well if that is the best they can do then what on earth was all the pre launch fuss about? Have recently returned to MSFS but I am staggered that we have the melted look on the game load up screen hardly much of a recommendation.  So I avoid areas with photogrammetry when I can but even flying over the Wollongong area (just south of Sydney Australia) at 5000 ft in the bonanza you get the melted look.  On the other hand the Sydney built up area with Orbx addon looks very good.  Hope that this eventually gets sorted.

Bruceb

Bruce, the same thing struck me after returning to the sim with months spent elsewhere. I thought I was going nuts. Please see my previous reply. The hardware upgrade did help tremendously however I am still not 100% happy with the textures. Something has definitely changed in the sim itself. Just purchased Sydney and Perth Airport and they look great though.

Its good to see it's not just me!

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

Hey thanks for all the help everyone. Turns out that Glen and Moose were on the money - no I don't "own" either UK or France updates. Wow! Strangely enough, I do own the earlier Japan update, but have no recollection of "buying" it. I will correct that omission now and post the results.

Good advice, Bandyka. I don't actually have any overclocking. If I do upgrade my RAM, I'll report what happens.

• Like 2