Sign in to follow this  
Afterburner

Clouds/Sky Comparison Reality vs. Simulators

The issue with all volumetric clouds is the complete lack of realism with the most desired clouds CU and TCU plus CB's. It literally took almost two decades to get great looking CB's in a sim(P3D) and we are back to square one with again horrendous looking Thunderstorms in P3D(Volumetric) and MSFS all the time.

It appears we have two choices, beautiful looking 2D cells that look very real or well lit terrible looking volumetric ones.

2021-6-15_17-43-55-662-X3.jpg

2021-4-1_15-27-24-711-X3.jpg

Now volumetric clouds can look amazing from time to time MSFS has demonstrated that however they can also look more like Independence Day with the mothership about to appear or an explosive Volcanic Ash cloud than a thunderstorm.

In short for the sake of great looking(mostly) lower level clouds we have sacrificed the most spectacular ones for bizarre looking black physics defying underszied poorly colored renditions of  one of natures greatest spectacles.

I find nothing about this appealing or desirable and struggle to even understand how anyone could.as they are not only terrible looking but the wrong color they should be bright white. This isnt even a really poor example. During the beta we posted photos etc but Asobo refused to either listed or acknowledge the issue.Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20Screens

Right now in 5.2 with EA on and 2D clouds to me we get the best of both worlds both excellent lighting AND great looking storms/CU clouds.

The cloud rotation thing in a "civilian" sim is highly over rated as your not flying at speeds or changing attitudes fast enough to see them rotate.

Im intrigued why a combination of 2D clouds for things like CB's etc and volumetric cant be used together to cover both scenario's ie volumetric for non vertical clouds or smaller sizes with 2D for larger and more distant stuff to get it looking correct.

sf4d-X3.jpg

Effectively by using this volumetric cloud creation method we are trying to create only one style of cloud that its method suites ie strato Cu style and then shoe horning into trying to be every other cloud type.It simply doesnt work and it looks in many circumstances far worse than the style its replacing.

I personally cant see why for one limited timeframe where volumetrics can look fantastic your sacrificing so much more and it looks poor as frequently as it looks spectacular.

Now 2D clouds can look poor as well but to my eye they look less poor when lookiing bad than volumetric clouds do.

If anyone can make volumetric clouds look near as good as we have with 2D CB's and CU's count me in but right now they are a long way from satisfactory.

• Like 4

Darren Howie