Sign in to follow this  
bbornn

VOR Lesson Bug

I hope the ACES folks will read this... I thought there was an "official" mechanism for reporting FSX bugs but I can't find it. If anybody knows where it is I'd appreciate your letting me know.Meanwhile, I took the VOR lesson last night. The text is pretty good, although there's a lot left out, but there are some problems with the lesson itself:1. Rod Machado says that the DME is "at the top right of the panel," but it's actually the fourth radio from the top of the stack.2. He also says that the DME has three numbers: distance to the VOR, speed, and time to get to the VOR. It actually has only two numbers: distance and speed.3. The VOR indicator is described wrong. In #1 the To/From indicator is below the needle, not next to it (as shown in the text). Also, #1 has N, E, S, and W instead of 360, 090, 180, and 270 as shown in the text and as Machado says.4. Finally, Machado tells you to turn left when you need to turn right to center the needle, and he tells you to turn right when you need to turn left. The on-screen text is correct, however.5. If you hit Pause during the lesson, Machado stops talking and you get no more on-screen text.There may be more problems, but that's as far as I got.Barney

Guest RonB49

Hi Barney,Let me begin by saying that I've never taken the lesson. With that disclaimer in mind, I have a question. Are you using the plane that "Rod" expects you to use for the lesson? Some of the GA airplanes have a DME gauge on the instrument panel in addition to the one in the radio stack. The panel mounted gauge does include the third number indicating time. Item 3 will also be different if you are using a different plane.If you are using the expected airplane then it is likely that problems arise because the lesson was written for a previous version of flight sim. I don't believe that those lessons have been updated to match the different panels and instruments in FSX.Regarding your opening query, 'I thought there was an "official" mechanism for reporting FSX bugs but I can't find it.' Me too. In fact, I asked about that the other day on this forum. Someone confirmed my thought that it was tell fs@microsoft.com but when I sent an email to that address it came back marked "Unknown User." So I'm afraid I don't know.R-

Ron, you may be right about the lesson not having been updated, but I haven't checked the corresponding lesson in FS9.I am using the airplane you get when you take the lesson, a Cessna 172 SP Skyhawk in Red, and Gold, tail number N760PL. I can't find the red or the gold; it looks all white to me, but that's what the Aircraft Selection window says.I tried changing aircraft, and FSX wouldn't let me: what they want is what you get. :()I do appreciate the updates they've made, like better models, much better scenery, missions, and more aircraft, but I wish they'd also get the peripheral stuff (lessons, the pilot log, etc.) working too. It would make realizing my dream to fly a lot less frustrating.Another user responded to my opening query with a URL for the Insiders' site: fsinsider.http://com/feedback and it seems to work. But as I recall, you won't get a response.Thanks for your help!Barney

Tha's the place; thank you! I might point out though: you won't get a reply. I hope they read it, but they don't respond, or so I've been told.Thanks: it's now in my Favorites list.Barney

>>Regarding your opening query, 'I thought there was an>"official" mechanism for reporting FSX bugs but I can't find>it.' Me too. In fact, I asked about that the other day on>this forum. Someone confirmed my thought that it was tell>fs@microsoft.com but when I sent an email to that address it>came back marked "Unknown User." So I'm afraid I don't know.>>R-Ron,The correct e-mail address for bug reports is:tell_fs@microsoft.comYou forgot the underscore (_) between tell and fs.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest RonB49

I responded to this post last evening but the reply disappeared. I'll try again.Thanks Rhett. You are correct, of course. R-

Now, it seems, there are two. :() The one in the insider site, fsinsider.http://com/feedback, seems to work; at least my comment didn't bounce. Perhaps the tell_fs@microsoft.com works too. Perhaps if we report bugs to both of them we stand a somewhat better chance of action.Oh, yeah: on the original question about why the VOR lesson in FSX doesn't work, I took the same lesson in FS9. It is the same, word for word. So is the text. But in FS9 it works: the DME in the FS9 aircraft is located at the upper right of the panel, and if you stray from the radial, FS9 tells you correctly which way to go.Barney