Sign in to follow this  
Rasta_Dude

Reinstall P3D - 'Effects'.. folder

Hello everyone,

hope you're doing well.

I already saw some guides how to update/reinstall P3D and did it by myself for a few times, but recently I recognized that some scenery installs for example effects files in the P3D root\Effects folder (at least in my case) even when I use 'add-on.xml' method.

Now that P3D v5.2 is out I would like to reinstall the sim complete, in the past I did this by uninstalling and deleting every folder from P3D (in AppData, ProgramData, etc.) and reinstall it. Through the fact that some scenery files are placed in the sim root folder I don't know how to do this now. My airports are actually installed in a separate folder outside the sim root and setting up everything again takes a bit of time, would be nice if I only could do a clean reinstall of P3D and leave my add-ons untouched.

Thanks & Regards! 🙂

Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming Mainboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (no OC)
Zotac Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 AMP! Edition (8 GB VRAM)
Kingston SK Hynix 64 GB DDR4 RAM (4 x 16 GB)
Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB NVMe SSD

Anyone who knows advice?

I also saw that for example FlyTampa and Aerosoft uses the root ...\Scenery\World\scenery folder for some files or the root ...\scripts folder.

How to separate all these non-P3D files for a clean reinstall in the future?

Regards!

Yeah....I have given up on some of these Developers.  I believe my rants are famous on here for complaining and telling the devs to use external installation since P3D 3.4.

I am just not buying any addons which install in the root.  Some of these devs especially FlyTampa and PMDG just don't bulge.  Funny thing is Flytampa uses external installation but has to put scenery into root b/c some of their effects in the root effects directory.  They can add one line to their xml and it will solve the problems.

Bug the devs that is all I can say and vote with wallet.

FSReborn, FSDT, FSLabs, A2A, Leonardo, Imaginesim and Orbx do an amazing job installing outside the sim.

Atleast PMDG will be forced to use community folder on MSFS hahaha.  I wish LM had the guts to force all devs to adapt external installations or die from the platform.  They would have reduced their support headaches also.

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Thanks a lot for replying! 🙂

It's annoying indeed but I'm glad that this is not a issue by me.

I decided to uninstall P3D v5.1 HF1 first and after that look what remains in the root folder. Maybe than I can see which files are related to any scenery. And for the next clean installation I will now add Effects and World/Scenery folders in my Add-On folder location. I read something about that on my research on Avsim. For the case that somebody has the same question I will put the links here:

But for now I'll wait with a clean reinstall since I know about the HTML5 bug in P3D v5.2. But I'm sure they will fix this in a short time.

Thanks & Regards!

Read this post very carefully. The answers are all in there……

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/192424-installing-a-p3d-v5-hotfix-or-update-correctly/

Edited by djbully
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

21 hours ago, djbully said:

Read this post very carefully. The answers are all in there……

Maybe not to 100 %, but I know Nick's guide already it's great and very useful.

Thanks!

Quoting from that post.

“Regardless of where Orbx products or addon aircraft are installed, the P3D installer will leave them alone because it can only

uninstall files that it installed in the first place.”

Essentially uninstalling p3d will leave the files in place in their respective folders.

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/