Sign in to follow this  
Rene_Feijen

Knobster in MSFS2020 á la X-Plane

This is exactly what I am desperately hoping for in MSFS2020! And in particular for handling the FMS inner/outer/push know. Could we vote for this in FS2020 officially (I have never been able to setup my FS2020 forum account)?

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

I think I'm building somethinf much better, not to mention much cheaper. How does a VR-targeted control box with 6 dual encoders, 8 buttons anda 3-position switch sound? 2 dual enconers and 2 single encodres are already working, waiting fir parts to complete.

Garmin gns 530 works almost entirely via the encoder box, for example. Heading bug, course, altimeter, COM/NAV radio tuning, transponder etc, work too. 3D-pronted knobs are different shapes to make sure you're touching the right one.

Parts cost around $25. 3D printer is required though... I'll publish all files when it's complete.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/wip-cheap-diy-vr-control-box-6-dual-encoder-8-button-1-3-pos-switch-project/401374

Edited by Roman Design
  • Like 2

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

Wow that is great, I dont have a 3D printer but maybe via my son. For me the most important button would be the FMS button with inner button, outer button and push for cursor. Not necesarry in 1 button, but may 2 or 3 buttons , whatever it takes to not have to fiddle with the mouse cursor  while choosing characters for a ICAO code, choosing waypoints in FPL etc in VR.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

On 6/17/2021 at 3:48 AM, Rene_Feijen said:

Wow that is great, I dont have a 3D printer but maybe via my son. For me the most important button would be the FMS button with inner button, outer button and push for cursor. Not necesarry in 1 button, but may 2 or 3 buttons , whatever it takes to not have to fiddle with the mouse cursor  while choosing characters for a ICAO code, choosing waypoints in FPL etc in VR.

This is already working in my box. At least on GNS530. But the specific things you mentioned work great - push-for-cursor, outer knob for position, inner knob to letters - just like the real thing. GNS 530 works almost fully, with exception of some buttons. What I have mapped is what I decided to be most important and easy to locate by touch in sensible order: MENU, CLR, ENT, DIR,  FPL. Left dual encoder works for radios, just like the real thing, button next to it swaps frequencies.

G1000, G3000 and a touch screen G3X GPS units are obviously different, and can't be mapped as well. Mapping side panel buttons is not feasible for VR anyway. But same knobs would do all other functions like radios, altimeter, transponder, altitude and VS setting for autopilot, heading bug, course. Zoom also works fine on all units. G3000 in TBM has lower small screen encoders mapped, but they don't do very much unfortunately, it's a touch screen operation. So waiting for VR controller support to operate those without a mouse (which I hate in VR as a badly designed crutch).

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]

For testing purposes I installed FSUIPC. In the documentation I found a controls list for MSFS and

66624   GPS_CURSOR_BUTTON
66625   GPS_GROUP_KNOB_INC
66626   GPS_GROUP_KNOB_DEC
66627   GPS_PAGE_KNOB_INC
66628   GPS_PAGE_KNOB_DEC

Does this mean that via FSUIPC maybe with these codes the FMS inner knob/outer knob/pushcursor  may be mappedvia FSUIPC  to joystick buttons?

Edited by Rene_Feijen

On 6/23/2021 at 8:52 AM, Rene_Feijen said:

66624   GPS_CURSOR_BUTTON
66625   GPS_GROUP_KNOB_INC
66626   GPS_GROUP_KNOB_DEC
66627   GPS_PAGE_KNOB_INC
66628   GPS_PAGE_KNOB_DEC

Does this mean that via FSUIPC maybe with these codes the FMS inner knob/outer knob/pushcursor  may be mappedvia FSUIPC  to joystick buttons?

These are the standard FSX events which are used for example with the RXP GNS so that you can use any controller using standard events for controlling the RXP GNS knobs (there are much more than these you might want to peek at the RXP GNS User's Manual for the complete list) I don't know whether you can bind them directly in the FS2020 UI or if this is only for FSUIPC "backward compatibility" though.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

The project is complete, and VR Control Box is working fine! Just need some finishing programming touches, and will publish the files soon.
The trim wheel module that is attached to the throttle quadrant is also connected to the same box. It has rudder trim encoder at the bottom that activates only after pressing it in once. Until pressed, it acts as a magneto key rotator, so you can start the engine with it, and test magnetos.

The box itself currently has 2 banks (with possibility of the third) activated by the 3-pos switch. Default bank has all the most-used functions in it. 2nd bank has rarely used NAV2/COM2/ADF radios and I run out of things to add there for now. There’s only so much you can remember and intuitively use in VR. 90% of the time I’ll be using the default bank.

2521d69bea8eafc5f5517c14646c55300b62e483

ccf72aedff16b35328aab84ff50fae2ca89f7375

• Like 2

My take:

d56437a475e503b18c3d6f083c5b5cd2a43c99f4

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vr-flying-without-a-mouse-diy-hardware-panel-for-finding-the-controls-in-the-blind/378112
The main concept:

- place the knobs and switches wide apart (even on both sides of the yoke), to allow finding them in blind with VR headset on easier,

- use dual knobs, much easier to operate in blind (50% less knobs, easier to locate the right one),

- if you fly real aircraft try to place the knobs and switches like in the real plane; if you fly in the sim only - follow the layout of your favorite simulated plane.

When flying C172 classic VFR, I don't need to touch the mouse at all to operate the plane, however I use it to operate my navigation software and to scroll the checklist.

P.S.

I can still use knobster with AirManager in the backgorund, but it would be locked to one instrument only. So not worth the extra CPU cycles required for AirManager, when flying VR.

Edited by Steku

I have got it working: it just needs SPAD.next! And I now use one of the encoders and the transfer button on the Saitek Radio Panel already owned.

Les O'Reilly made a tutorial video on how to do it, and I guess for the 430 and 530 it also can be done with their own events.

https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/#/list

Why could I never found this list with events?

I think there is some confusion here between knobster (which I don't have currently) and button boxes.

My understanding is that the knobster value is by quickly changing it is function. Also the VR menu is kind of poor IMHO.

Having a good button boxes and several dual encoder click switches is great. I could have a G1000 well configured this way, but if I want to flight a 738, it might be a pain having that amount of buttons.

I wonder if the knobster or anything else could work in VR with some VR click capabilities. I have a racing sim where I can VR click and virtual keyboard, I can do anything!