Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Addons to make FSX look great ?

I still fly this old sim because it is the only sim I can fly the Capt Sim 707 and the A2A B-377 in but can I make it look as good as P3D or ? I do have Orbx world textures for FSX installed but there must be more out there that I could try..

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

48 minutes ago, warbirds said:

I still fly this old sim because it is the only sim I can fly the Capt Sim 707 and the A2A B-377 in but can I make it look as good as P3D or ? I do have Orbx world textures for FSX installed but there must be more out there that I could try..

Perhaps give us more of an idea of what you are looking for.  Detailed airports?  More detailed ground scenery?  Where will you fly most often may be important to know ?  Cloud textures?   Airport textures?  Accurate live weather?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, warbirds said:

but can I make it look as good as P3D

When I went to P3D, I still had FSX installed.. but the popping autogen just got to me..  and that is not fixable.

Similarly after going to MSFS, I still have P3D installed, but the roads cutting across scenery textures now stare me in the face..

So, I am not flying P3D much anymore..

There must be a lesson in this  😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

6 hours ago, warbirds said:

I have Orbx, REX, Active Sky, etc., but quit chasing perfection after I realized that my enjoyment came from flying the aircraft and not viewing the scenery.

With FSX I think this is the approach you have to consider because it's never going to compete graphically with MSFS.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

For me, the addons that made the greatest single improvement to the appearance of FSX were a good weather engine and weather textures. I happen to use a combination of Active Sky 2016 with ASCA and Envtex for textures but as I’m sure you know there are others out there which are also very good. The added realism which well simulated weather provides adds immeasurably to the level of immersion no matter what aircraft you are flying.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, warbirds said:

I enjoy all of these for FSX. The REX and Shade products work really well together.

If you use DX10 mode you are in for more of a treat with DX10 Scenery Fixer as it has cloud over terrain shadows.

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchase/

FS WATER Configurator

ORBX FTX Trees
ORBX FTX Global
ORBX Vector
FSDT GSX
ORBX OpenLCs
FSX Shade
Traffic 360
REX SkyForce 3D
REX 4 Texture Direct

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

When I went to P3D, I still had FSX installed.. but the popping autogen just got to me..  and that is not fixable.

Similarly after going to MSFS, I still have P3D installed, but the roads cutting across scenery textures now stare me in the face..

So, I am not flying P3D much anymore..

There must be a lesson in this  😉

Bert,

I just wonder how long it will be before we are saying the same thing about MSFS.  I am going to assume that we are in for a long wait, but what a nice place to be doing the waiting in. LOL 

Lets face it guys, we are ALL flight simulator traitors in the long term.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

7 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Lets face it guys, we are ALL flight simulator traitors in the long term.

I choose to call it "Progress"  😀

• Like 1

Bert

While we are on this subject though, I have a couple of observations/whinges about MSFS.

1. AI traffic.  I fly a lot out of YBCS Cairns in Queensland Australia.  I have never seen more than one aircraft (generic 747 and static) whilst the control tower is going nuts telling imaginary aircraft to get off the runway and giving aircraft permission to land and taxi and all sorts of things.  Nothing is moving .... how immersive is THAT LOL. I have tried ai traffic off, live and off-line.  Nothing changes.  This however, could well be me and my inept fumblings.  I would like to sort it out though. Additionally, I never see other aircraft and always land at different airports with one or no aircraft in sight.

2. ATC. I flew from YPPH to YPKG yesterday in the Longtitude. After getting me to FL430 they left me there until I was told to descend to FL350 approximately 55NM from YPKG. I was then given other commands (about four) to descend eventually to 3100 feet. I was still at some 15,000 feet descending at 4000 FPM  directly overhead YPKG I have it on good authority that MSFS have fixed this in the last update LOL.

I am just wondering if I should be looking for the NEXT platform now. That, of course is meant to be funny.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Personally I would appreciate seeing the OP return to this discussion before I contribute anything additional...

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

15 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Personally I would appreciate seeing the OP return to this discussion before I contribute anything additional...

My question was answered very well by "blueshark747" (thank you). 

As for MSFS 2020,, it's "pretty", and as for P3D, it has cost me more than any other other hobby so far - but FSX still lets me fly  the best steam qauge prop airliner made, the A2A B-377 which I have done tons of paints for and also the steam gauge Capt Sim jet airliner the 707 that has also had me painting a few. 

Paul G

Golden Age Simulations

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

30 minutes ago, warbirds said:

FSX still lets me fly  the best steam qauge prop airliner made

And there is great value in that to those of us why fly great models. You can add great detail at the flight levels associated with that model with Megascenery Earth scenery addons, but it is state by state and can become a significant outlay vs what MSFS provides as default.  No question about that!  I added MSE states one-by-one over several years dependent on where I was flying.  I accumulated 45 of the 48 contiguous lower USA states.  70% of my flight hours are still in FSX SE with Realair, A2A, Milviz GS aircraft models, RXP GPS avionics, MSE3 sceneries and over 200 FSX freeware addon airports. On an across-the-board comparison that continues as my best simulator basis. 

MSFS could easily bury that if only it would open up to avenues long available instead of holding tight to the not-invented-here syndrome.

Easily!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 hour ago, warbirds said:

My question was answered very well by "blueshark747" (thank you). 

As for MSFS 2020,, it's "pretty", and as for P3D, it has cost me more than any other other hobby so far - but FSX still lets me fly  the best steam qauge prop airliner made, the A2A B-377 which I have done tons of paints for and also the steam gauge Capt Sim jet airliner the 707 that has also had me painting a few. 

Paul G

Golden Age Simulations

Glad I could help!

For me FSX lets me fly the best jet airliner ever made Fly the Maddog X MD82!

Speaking of the CS 707 I need to spend more time with that one also!🍻

• Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 6/14/2021 at 7:45 PM, Bert Pieke said:

I choose to call it "Progress"  😀

Like the blurry blobs for trees? The blurry mess called clouds? The terrible flight dynamics? And the substandard weather and atc? Amazing ‘progress’! 

Check out the freeware options first for FSX. Clouds, sky, trees, ground textures, water. So much to choose from that really enhances the look of the sim. 

• Like 1