Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

5.2: No ATC and a freeze on view change

Hi all,

I've yet to get an answer to this, so I'd really appreciate any help. Since upgrading to 5.2 (I uninstalled everything and then ran the main installer program). I have these two problems:

1. ATC box appears on command, but I can't select anything in it.
2. Every time I switch to external view, the whole sim hangs for between one and 10 seconds.

Are these known bugs and are there any workarounds?

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Until LM issues a HF for the HTML5 bug, nothing can be done but sit tight and wait.

Eric 

I have this as well (tested with the as always exquisit Maddog).

But this bug is so annoying. Waiting for the hotfix I suppose....

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

2 hours ago, BWBriscoe said:

Hi all,

I've yet to get an answer to this, so I'd really appreciate any help. Since upgrading to 5.2 (I uninstalled everything and then ran the main installer program). I have these two problems:

1. ATC box appears on command, but I can't select anything in it.
2. Every time I switch to external view, the whole sim hangs for between one and 10 seconds.

Are these known bugs and are there any workarounds?

Cheers,

Ben

IRT your point 1, I had the same problem in 5.1. I randomly happened across a 'fix' when I got that error. What I did was to:

1. On the P3D menu at the top click on Navigation | Air Traffic Control and turn off the ATC box, then close that dialog and return to the main screen;

2. Do the same thing again, except turning ON the ATC box (it should appear if you clicked correctly).

This worked 100% of the time for me in 5.1 Haven't had enough time to play with 5.2 to see if if works.

Anyway, hope it works for you. 

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

2 hours ago, B777ER said:

Until LM issues a HF for the HTML5 bug, nothing can be done but sit tight and wait.

Are both the ATC and freeze problems known issues?

64.0 GB RAM

2 hours ago, BWBriscoe said:

Are both the ATC and freeze problems known issues?

Its any text on screen in 5.2. 

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

27 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Its any text on screen in 5.2. 

Why is change view affected then?

64.0 GB RAM

So no possibility to use ATC at this time? In that case I'm going to wait before I update...

1 hour ago, thepilot said:

So no possibility to use ATC at this time? In that case I'm going to wait before I update...

You can click on the ATC options.  You can't select the options by pressing on the keyboard numbers.  I hope that gets fixed soon, as I use a mouse with #1 to 12 keys as my keystrokes for ATC.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

36 minutes ago, TextRich said:

You can click on the ATC options.  You can't select the options by pressing on the keyboard numbers.  I hope that gets fixed soon, as I use a mouse with #1 to 12 keys as my keystrokes for ATC.

When I click on the options, nothing happens. I can't tune radios, request clearance etc...

64.0 GB RAM

54 minutes ago, TextRich said:

17 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

When I click on the options, nothing happens. I can't tune radios, request clearance etc...

As mentioned elsewhere, this is most likely due to a local problem or installation method. Both of those options are available to me, after pressing the ' key to open the ATC window I can select the available options either using the mouse or by pressing the relevant number key, from the numbers across the top of the keyboard, not the numbers on the numbers keypad, which perform different functions.

4.jpg

If you set your mouse up, you might have removed the default keyboard bindings.

Edited by Reader

12 minutes ago, Reader said:

As mentioned elsewhere, this is most likely due to a local problem or installation method. Both of those options are available to me, after pressing the ' key to open the ATC window I can select the available options either using the mouse or by pressing the relevant number key, from the numbers across the top of the keyboard, not the numbers on the numbers keypad, which perform different functions.

4.jpg

If you set your mouse up, you might have removed the default keyboard bindings.

I've tried using the numbers across the top of the keyboard and using the mouse to click the options, no effect.

64.0 GB RAM

Perhaps you can try a complete uninstall and reinstall of P3D v5.2 as well as running Delete Generated Files. In that way, you will have an entirely default copy and you can start your modifications from there.

First, back up any configuration files and run the Delete Generated Files batch file.

Uninstall the Client, answering NO when asked if you want to deregister.

Then uninstall the Content and the Scenery and finally the fourth entry in the Windows Control panel. 

Then go to your downloaded and extracted P3D v5.2 installer and run Setup_Prepar3D.exe.

Be sure to set the installation location to the same location as the existing one.

Once installed and before you reinstate any files or make any changes, run P3D and see if your ATC works and your pauses are fixed.

Edited by Reader

@Reader, the numerical keypads have never been intended to be used for ATC.  The numbers on the top of the keyboard have always been used for ATC.  However, for me, strangely, the keyboard is working for me right now.  It didn't work the other day.  🤷‍♂️  That is just fine with me.  🙂  By the way, I installed 5.2 from scratch (new P3D user), so let's see if your suggestion works for @BWBriscoe.

• Like 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Actually I think I know what happened.  v5.2 has a known issue in which the info on the upper left will freeze after a while, the Alt menu will stop working, and some SimConnect menus (like what GSX uses) will show blank options.  This probably happened to me the first time when I tried to use the ATC - the keyboard and clicking on the options wouldn't work.  There is a discussion about HTML 5 text causing issues and LM is working on a fix.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=142614

Edited by TextRich