Sign in to follow this  
Crewsaider

Failure to load beyond initial black screen

Since first loading MSFS2020 from MS Store about a month after release, I have had a relatively trouble-free run, with only a couple of CTDs that were easily fixed by removing recently installed addons. However, some 2 weeks ago the sim failed to install and crashed after the first blank black screen (ie before the rotating load-circle appeared in the bottom right corner). At this stage I made the following changes:

- Empty Community folder – no change.

- Log out and back in to MS Store – no change.

- Log out and back in to Game Box – no change.

At this stage I gave up and abandoned the PC for a more productive activity ie mowed the lawns. An hour or so later I returned to the PC (with a cold beer) and, lo, the sim loaded as smoothly as ever!

Regrettably, however, this situation reoccurred several times over the next week or so and I reasoned that perhaps it was a server problem. Initially the server selection was set to “Auto”, with me thinking that if a particular server was down the programme would move on to find an operational data source; unfortunately, regardless of auto or manual server selection the problem returned to annoy! The problem has always cured itself after a couple of hours, up until the day before yesterday that is, when it was still failing to load after 18 hours. At this point I installed every optional Win 10 update available, immediately after which the sim loaded as smoothly as ever and continued to behave until this morning.....when it was (and still is) black screen to CTD again!!!!

I am located in New Zealand, so some distance from all servers, but this has not appeared to present any issue until this problem arose a couple of weeks ago. My fibre connection, as measured by Ookla Speedtest, currently runs at 180Mbps locally, 150Mbps US West Coast and 100Mbps London.

All analysis, suggestions or just comments are welcome.

Loading FS2020 continues to fail and this is the output to the Event Log:

Description:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60a521f7
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x2bd748bf
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000007286e
Faulting process ID: 0x1bc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d761a5c94df77c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.16.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report ID: d142de8f-7ee4-4e13-8c02-f5227b6332d0
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.16.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Interpretation is well above my knowledge level but may provide some information to those out there skilled in such matters.

Some suggestions :

Have you connected any new hardware recently ? 

Have you changed any driver ( graphic card, controller etc.) ?

Check that all your controllers/headset or loudspeakers are firmly attached to the computer, no loose USB or jack.

Do you see this issue when you start MFS just after starting the computer or starting the game when the computer has been running for a while ? Or both ?

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 hours ago, Crewsaider said:

Exception code: 0xc0000409

8 hours ago, Crewsaider said:

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

The above two items from the event viewer report are the important bits of information. It is telling you that there is an issue with the indicated DLL. The ucrtbase.dll is a part of the Visual C++ application. In your case, it is most likely a part of the Visual C++ redistributable package.

Try uninstalling all Microsoft Visual C++ [xxxx] Redistributable packages from Settings -> Apps. Then download and install the all in one package from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

If that does not fix the issue, then you may want to try the steps indicated here: https://www.minitool.com/news/0xc0000409.html

Good luck!

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

I was having the same problem and tried every suggestion I could find...reinstalled Windows, deleted and reinstalled  sim, disabled virus software, firewall, you name it, and nothing worked. I was running Seagate's Toolkit backup and deleted it and low and behold, FS2020 loaded, updated and is now working perfectly. Have no idea why or what the conflict was, but deleting Toolkit ended a week of frustration.

Hope my experience helps...good luck.

39 minutes ago, Seabee7 said:

I was having the same problem and tried every suggestion I could find...reinstalled Windows, deleted and reinstalled  sim, disabled virus software, firewall, you name it, and nothing worked. I was running Seagate's Toolkit backup and deleted it and low and behold, FS2020 loaded, updated and is now working perfectly. Have no idea why or what the conflict was, but deleting Toolkit ended a week of frustration.

Hope my experience helps...good luck.

Most of the time, uninstalling either MSFS or Windows don't do the trick.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Good morning and very many thanks to all the responders. Before working through the suggested actions first thing this morning, I clicked on the FS2020 launch icon and it loaded as sweetly as ever!!! Have shutdown and reloaded several more times and flown a Kodiak Island bush trip, all without any issue. I anticipate that the problem will reoccur at some point, at which time I will work through Visual C++ fix from JimBrown and report back.