Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

SELCAL, and HF transmissions in general...

Was reading about SELCAL:

What is SELCAL? (vatnz.net)

In PSX HF communications are simulated, but apparently nor MS FS nor XP model HF transmission.

Thought it would be great to have it incorporated into XP12, natively...

There's an exercise in PSX making use of HF for orientation when a 744 flight loses it's navigation capabilities due to some malfunctions, and the crew has to find their way into a remote Pacific island. Not SELCAL-related but still interesting 🙂

This details would surely add to the list of "professional" items already included in XP...

P.S.: Alexis will soon be able to run XP11 at light-speed !!! ( just a side note 🙂 )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Shhhhh 😁 Don't let my wife hear that.

Isn't this something that maybe VATSIM / IVAO could implement ouside the Sim? Just a thought, since the simulator doesn't have to do basically anything with comunications, other than let the Pilot tune the frequencies?

• Like 1

Alexis Mefano

Yep ! Can be done externally, and I believe it's actually done that way by the VATSIM client ( ? ) but could also be modeled in the sim, including various Earth effects on wave propagation, like in Aerowinx PSX ;-)

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Yep ! Can be done externally, and I believe it's actually done that way by the VATSIM client ( ? ) but could also be modeled in the sim, including various Earth effects on wave propagation, like in Aerowinx PSX 😉

What would it achieve ? radio interference ?

And porta loses today 

Edited by HumptyDumpty

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

What would it achieve ? radio interference ?

And porta loses today 

Hmmm, Hungary is a very godo team yes, and playing on their homeland, so - they're favourite ...

Let's wait and see - footbal is almost like quantic physics...

Main Simulation Rig:

3 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Hmmm, Hungary is a very godo team yes, and playing on their homeland, so - they're favourite ...

excuses 😆

I have used HF a lot in real life.

Just like dental surgery, it is not something I would like to simulate at home 😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

excuses 😆

🤪

take it....

back to HF 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

I worked with HF in Oceanic ATC ops. HF isn't fun for anybody but it does have some advantages. 

• Like 1

I've been doing HF for years back when you had to listen to those rhythmic sounds and static while going Oceanic or over the Pacific. The not so fun parts are getting up into the North East part of the US and find out that your HF radios were not working 😞. Yes, I have had that happen and returned to origin in my mighty DC10 to find out that the antennae(skin is the antennae, so the coupler) had a nitrogen leak and of course, checked fine on the ground, but no love once up at altitude. There's also the static, which increased as ice built up. Good sign of icing besides the ice warning lights. All the random voices and sounds you would hear along with the constant bee bops of people doing SELCAL tests. But, you could spend some time explaining how it works with new guys while you trained them on Oceanic procedures. Those phone patch calls through HF were not bad either. SELCAL was a savior as you didn't have to listen to the static or pay attention to it. You just waited to hear the SELCAL tone along with the light that lit up when you were pinged. Now days with SAT phones and ADS-C, I hardly have to use HF except when getting the clearance and doing the SELCAL test on the primary and secondary freq. But, it can generate some realism for those using VATSIM. You can get clearances and test the SELCAL along with the other things that help keep you awake on those night crossings. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, G550flyer said:

I've been doing HF for years back when you had to listen to those rhythmic sounds and static while going Oceanic or over the Pacific. The not so fun parts are getting up into the North East part of the US and find out that your HF radios were not working 😞. Yes, I have had that happen and returned to origin in my mighty DC10 to find out that the antennae(skin is the antennae, so the coupler) had a nitrogen leak and of course, checked fine on the ground, but no love once up at altitude. There's also the static, which increased as ice built up. Good sign of icing besides the ice warning lights. All the random voices and sounds you would hear along with the constant bee bops of people doing SELCAL tests. But, you could spend some time explaining how it works with new guys while you trained them on Oceanic procedures. Those phone patch calls through HF were not bad either. SELCAL was a savior as you didn't have to listen to the static or pay attention to it. You just waited to hear the SELCAL tone along with the light that lit up when you were pinged. Now days with SAT phones and ADS-C, I hardly have to use HF except when getting the clearance and doing the SELCAL test on the primary and secondary freq. But, it can generate some realism for those using VATSIM. You can get clearances and test the SELCAL along with the other things that help keep you awake on those night crossings. 

Ha! I remember Re-Dispatch Releases via HF also; that usually sucked. 

• Like 2

Just now, jcomm said:

🤪

take it....

back to HF 🙂

Well Porta just got lucky 6 mins before full time.  Next up Porta vs Germany

Back to HF sorry :biggrin: