Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

5.2 what a mess

Just about to complete a flight from VTBS to EGLL, been flying for almost 13 hours, switch to 'over the wing' view and the whole sim hangs...it's been non-responsive for nearly five minutes now (eventually came back to life).

Is this genuinely how we're expected to use the sim now...not change views? I notice that the longer I go without changing views, the longer the hang or freeze is when I eventually do.

Also, the ATC window appears but doesn't work at all. I can't select anything from it (even though I can see the selections available).

Are we expecting LM to fix this ASAP? Are there any other workarounds for the problems I'm having? I've decided to not use the sim in this state as it's not enjoyable at all, which is so frustrating considering the time and money I've invested in it.

EDIT: Oh, and now a crash to desktop 😞

Edited by BWBriscoe
  • Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

5.2 what a mess

Is it really inevitable to put such (nonsense) headlines on the forum? If it doesn't work constantly satisfying for you, usually YOU/your system are the reason. Hanging of the sim after view changes was pretty frequent with me in v5.0 and 5.1, it's not a new feature in 5.2. Most of us found v5.2 being even more stable than before, maybe influenced by its significantly reduced VRAM consumption. And btw. i'll never understand why anyone can "play" multihour flights in front of a monitor; this is unbelievably boring even for enthusiasts like me in RW, too. But that's only my personal experience....

Kind regards,

Fritz

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, BWBriscoe said:

Just about to complete a flight from VTBS to EGLL, been flying for almost 13 hours, switch to 'over the wing' view and the whole sim hangs...it's been non-responsive for nearly five minutes now (eventually came back to life).

Is this genuinely how we're expected to use the sim now...not change views? I notice that the longer I go without changing views, the longer the hang or freeze is when I eventually do.

Also, the ATC window appears but doesn't work at all. I can't select anything from it (even though I can see the selections available).

I don't have issues changing views, so it may be an issue on your end or something that affects only certain setups.

The ATC window works for me, BUT I cannot select options using the number keys.  I have to click on the options.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

7 minutes ago, Pegaso said:

Is it really inevitable to put such (nonsense) headlines on the forum?

And he already started a thread about his problem 12 hours before this one, and back then he used an reasonable thread title.

• Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

38 minutes ago, Pegaso said:

5.2 what a mess

Is it really inevitable to put such (nonsense) headlines on the forum? If it doesn't work constantly satisfying for you, usually YOU/your system are the reason. Hanging of the sim after view changes was pretty frequent with me in v5.0 and 5.1, it's not a new feature in 5.2. Most of us found v5.2 being even more stable than before, maybe influenced by its significantly reduced VRAM consumption. And btw. i'll never understand why anyone can "play" multihour flights in front of a monitor; this is unbelievably boring even for enthusiasts like me in RW, too. But that's only my personal experience....

Kind regards,

Fritz

It's not nonsense. My setup worked extremely well with 5.1, absolutely no problems at all. I have not made any changes to my system except upgrade to 5.2 and this caused huge problems with freezes when changing views (one of the hangs lasted almost five minutes) plus the ATC window now doesn't work at all. It has totally ruined any enjoyment of the sim.

There must be a solution to this?

• Upvote 1

64.0 GB RAM

16 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

It's not nonsense. My setup worked extremely well with 5.1, absolutely no problems at all. I have not made any changes to my system except upgrade to 5.2 and this caused huge problems with freezes when changing views (one of the hangs lasted almost five minutes) plus the ATC window now doesn't work at all. It has totally ruined any enjoyment of the sim.

There must be a solution to this?

There is a solution.  Roll back to 5.1.  I'm honestly considering doing it myself.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Installed all 3 main folders Client/Content/Scenery Deleted the C:\Users\rjlfr\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders folder completely and the Config even if you did not use Config tweaks any changes LM made in the Config in 5.2 will not work, ATC working OK. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/51248703283/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/51249561210/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

21 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

I have not made any changes to my system except upgrade to 5.2 and this caused huge problems with freezes when changing views (one of the hangs lasted almost five minutes) plus the ATC window now doesn't work at all. It has totally ruined any enjoyment of the sim. There must be a solution to this?

here is an answer in your other topic.

It might be useful for a moderator to merge this one with it and in doing so, remove the alarmist and inaccurate title.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Installed all 3 main folders Client/Content/Scenery Deleted the C:\Users\rjlfr\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders folder completely and the Config even if you did not use Config tweaks any changes LM made in the Config in 5.2 will not work, ATC working OK. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/51248703283/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/51249561210/in/dateposted-public/

When I uninstall to reinstall, as well as uninstalling client, content and scenery, should I also uninstall the 'P3D v5 Academic' file too?
Then just install client, content, scenery (in that order), delete the shaders folder and the .cfg and then I should be good to go?

64.0 GB RAM

when I saw that @Bert Pieke  and @Ray Proudfoot  was getting issues I knew there was going to be problems.

whilst I dont agree with Bert and Ray on nearly everything, Ive always thought both seem to be know their stuff on all things IT wise.

I dont buy into Simbols and Marcus hype about how wonderful the team at LM are,  I go with facts not feels.

v5.0 was a disaster and they know it, why ?  because people higher up in LM wanted to release early after being told not to by numerous beta testers numerous times.  that is undisputable

5.1  was (in my opinion) an exercise an attempt at clawing back a dented reputation from the disaster that was 5.0  (not to mention the realease of ms2020)  although the same high up people (who told them to release early)  in LM probabaly couldnt give 2 figs about ms2020.

whilst I have admiration for Simbol and Markcus I really do for doing 9 beta candidates the facts are unarguebale LM,  like many other developers nowadays do, keep bowing to commericial pressure,  IE:the bean counters,  to release early and fix it later.

Finally whilst alot of people on here dont like my opinion,  its an opinion.  Ive said it before and ill say it again.  When developers stop this tomfoolery rubbish of releasing early, then looking like idiots for a month while they patch it again,  Then ill stop giving them a hard time.  It never ceases to amaze me how people just take half baked unfinished work and dont complain about it.  As a society we have become so weak and easily conned.

Lets also not forget,  that this company (who has your money, which you worked for),  is not some small outfit,  they are one of the worlds largest companies making billions and billions of dollars.

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png

2 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

When I uninstall to reinstall, as well as uninstalling client, content and scenery, should I also uninstall the 'P3D v5 Academic' file too?
Then just install client, content, scenery (in that order), delete the shaders folder and the .cfg and then I should be good to go?

When you download the full P3Dv5.2 inside you will see only three files ending msi Client.msi / Content.msi / Scenery.msi . Un-install them in that order then Delete the main shader folder I don`t bother with the content of the shader folder I just right click and delete the folder P3D will replace this with the new default shaders and folder, then delete the Config file do not if working ok re-install your old Config with your tweaks they may not be compatible with the new version.

This when you should re-tweak the new sim when testing.

If you uninstall the Academic file that`s when you will have to use the setup P3D.exe for a full install. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

14 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

whilst I have admiration for Simbol and Markcus I really do for doing 9 beta candidates

In fact we had 9 Release Candidates and 12 Betas!

But I still not get what you are trying to say.

Also writing that @simbol and I are hyping the 5.2 and the LM Team isn´t really helpful and is simply not true at all.

Question: What did you do for the community to make this sim a better sim or to help others? Please point me to your posts where you are trying to help, explain or bring up solutions? 

Well.....I think I´ll have to wait a long time for that answer.

In between it´s a pity that guys like you are still searching and posting such a nonsense in forums like this. And that while you where posting "I`ll give up" a few days ago.

One thing:

I´ve seen LM hours and times (not only daytimes in Florida) of working hard for us all. And yes, I would also liked to have a release without any issues for ALL of us, including myself! And of course it would be nice if TrueSky was more beautiful as it is now.

But fact is; There is not one single other sim which is 100% offering us what we like to have in terms of:

• Outstanding performance
  • incl. stunning visuals with a good LOD
  • Perfect night lighting incl. LOD
  • Working complex airliners like those from PMDG and FSLabs!
  • Huge SDK with tons of addons to CHOOSE out of fitting your own likings
  • Bug free
  • and so far and so on

So, stop moaning here and just leave the forum if you are not satisfied. You are spoiling your and my time here.

I´d rather like to communicate and work together with users who are willing to help us out and help LM to point them into the right direction.

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 20
  • Upvote 3

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Like most of you, I have had my ups and downs with v5.2. But, there are solutions. In my case a simple repair instead of uninstalling and reinstalling the entire sim program. 

I also learned the hard way that ENVSHADE is a conflict, because to the best of my knowledge, it has not yet been updated to 5.2. Once cleaning out everything  that program had done, and resetting AS to the update, as well as ASCA, things are pretty good again. BTW, while I have been supportive of EA, I currently am not using it because it does not work well with ASCA. But, when I do use it without ASCA, there is absolutely no fps hit. 

Sherm

11 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Question: What did you do for the community to make this sim a better sim or to help others? Please point me to your posts where you are trying to help, explain or bring up solutions? 

leave the forum if you are not satisfied. You are spoiling your and my time here.

I gave them my money for a product.  whats so hard to understand about that. 

please dont ever work in customer service.   why is it you IT guys are so clueless about this.

if you kept getting seats on my airline without a tray table and had to eat off your lap, and my answer was "what have you ever done for this airline" or "why dont you start your own airline"  you'd  think i was nuts.  

the simple fact is, ive paid alot of money for v5.  I want a half decent product.  not this half finished gash

if you spent 1000s on an upper class ticket and I gave you a seat that was falling apart and some cold food,  you'd be the first to complain, you wouldnt say,  "ah yes on our next flight we are hoping to have some tray tables, some hot food and a crew that give a toss"

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 3

14ppkc-6.png

24 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

when I saw that @Bert Pieke  and @Ray Proudfoot  was getting issues I knew there was going to be problems.

whilst I dont agree with Bert and Ray on nearly everything, Ive always thought both seem to be know their stuff on all things IT wise.

I dont buy into Simbols and Marcus hype about how wonderful the team at LM are,  I go with facts not feels.

v5.0 was a disaster and they know it, why ?  because people higher up in LM wanted to release early after being told not to by numerous beta testers numerous times.  that is undisputable

5.1  was (in my opinion) an exercise an attempt at clawing back a dented reputation from the disaster that was 5.0  (not to mention the realease of ms2020)  although the same high up people (who told them to release early)  in LM probabaly couldnt give 2 figs about ms2020.

whilst I have admiration for Simbol and Markcus I really do for doing 9 beta candidates the facts are unarguebale LM,  like many other developers nowadays do, keep bowing to commericial pressure,  IE:the bean counters,  to release early and fix it later.

Finally whilst alot of people on here dont like my opinion,  its an opinion.  Ive said it before and ill say it again.  When developers stop this tomfoolery rubbish of releasing early, then looking like idiots for a month while they patch it again,  Then ill stop giving them a hard time.  It never ceases to amaze me how people just take half baked unfinished work and dont complain about it.  As a society we have become so weak and easily conned.

Lets also not forget,  that this company (who has your money, which you worked for),  is not some small outfit,  they are one of the worlds largest companies making billions and billions of dollars.

@fluffyflops

Just another question:

How long are you having these kind of issues with LM? Since which versions (4.X or later?).

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png