Sign in to follow this  
Klinn

FSX 16 x 9 capable?

Everything except the 2D cockpits (and it is possible to make 2D cockpits that are 16 x 9 capable, we just didn't ship any ourselves :-> in fact I seem to remember there being wide screen capable 3rd party panels for FS98 or FS2000, doesn't anybody make those anymore). There's also a FSX.CFG switch that changes the way the zoom behaves to make it more useful in a widescreen environment. I run FSX across 2 1600x1200 screens for a fullscreen 3200x1200 on my main machine, and in full screen 1680x1050 on one of my other machines. When using the Virtual Cockpits and the switch in the FSX.CFG file (which I can't remember the name of exactly right off the top of my head :-> ), it works quite nicely. There are also folks, using the Matrox Triple Head 2 Go device, running across 3 1280x1024 screens for a 3840 x 1024 full screen resolution.

The Settings | Display dialog will show any/all video modes (1024x768 and larger) that your video card and monitor will support (as reported by the video driver of course :-> ), so just getting the system to run in 16 x 9 doesn't require a cfg change, just if you don't like the way that zoom behaves when running at 16 x 9 do you need to make the cfg file tweak.

Ghost RiderRush fan? ;)Anyway, talking of stretched images, the one MCP posted looks very stretched indeed to me and, indeed, a teensy bit fish-lensed. Personal preference and all our eyes are different.I set mine to 1920x1200 and it doesn't look stretched at all. I also hit CTRL+RETURN a couple of times to move my seat view back and it works a treat.There is a CFG line that can be changed for a widescreen view but again, I found it stretched my image unnacceptably.Paul

Guest JoeInCT

Ghostrider,I remember asking the same question -- especially when I used to fly the 2D planels exclusively. Since then however, I have purchased the TripleHead2Go, which effectly makes the monitor even WIDER than the 16 x 9 ratio (something like 45 x 9 aspect ratio depending on how you have it set). I think the deal is, if you use an aspect ratio other than 4 x 3, the 2D panels are not a good option since they will either stretch to fill the screen, or you have to resize them to cover just the center portion of your 16 x 9 monitor -- which is not really workable. When using aspect ratios other than 4 x 3, the best thing to do is use the 3D cockpit. In the 3D cockpit, if the screen is wider, FSX just displays more of the cockpit in 3 dimensional space. I think Microsoft is favoring the 3D cockpit (over the 2D) since I believe FSX defaults to the 3D cockpit during FSX installation (mine did at least). Perhaps MS is pushing the 3D so they dont have to program around a certain aspect ratio in the future. If the monitor/video card has more width, it will just display more of the cockpit. The 3D cockpit will then work for all aspect ratios. I can see the 2D cockpit going away at some point in the future for this reason.What it comes down to is, if you use the 3D cockpit, it no longer matters what aspect ratio you have (4 x 3, 16 x 9, or 45 x 9). It will display the cockpit correctly (for the most part). One thing to note however is, if you use a hot key to bring up a 2D panel such as an FMC or GPS, you will have to resize the 2D window by grabbing the edge. You only have to do this once however. I do it as part of cockpit prep at the gate. After you resize the 2D panel such as the GPS, each subsequent time you bring it up, it will display in the correct dimensions. Hope I am making sense.Joe

> The Settings | Display dialog will show any/all video modes> (1024x768 and larger) that your video card and monitor will> support (as reported by the video driver of course) Good point, and this includes any custom screen resolutions. In order to squeeze out a few more FPS, I used the nVidia driver control panel to create a custom 1280x800 resolution (16:10 ratio) and was able to pick that up inside FSX with no problem. This means I'm not running at the native rez of my LCD display so it's not quite as crisp, but the FPS increase was worth it to me.I've heard it isn't quite as easy for ATI users to create custom screen resolutions as it is in the nVidia control panel, so YMMV.

Joe that sure make sense, now that is what i call informative.I'm about to buy a 22" Samsung, so thanks for the information.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.