Sign in to follow this  
6297J

Just Flight Arrow updates

Although the Just Flight Arrows are great, I wish JF had some sort of auto update/installer.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, eaim1973 said:

I wish JF had some sort of auto update/installer.

This is one thing I really hate about the FS software economy.   Maybe I'm just spoiled by being a PC gamer with literally hundreds of titles across Steam, Epic, and GOG that I never need to worry about patching because it's all taken care of automatically for me.   But needing to check a bunch of different storefronts for updates, or getting notification through an email that hopefully didn't get lost in my spam filter or filed as low priority, and then needing to go and manually do the whole thing is just... something we should be past, at this point.

At least, for the most part, vendors have stopped using digital distribution services that delete your downloads after 90 days and charge again for access, or similar.   That is such a loathsome practice.

But that's a flight sim problem in general.  My gripe about the Just Flight installer is that there's no choice on where to install, it automatically drops it into your community folder.  Almost every other installer I've used recently provides you the option to select an alternate location.  Someone from JF responded to my request for that on a thread here by saying they'd look into it, but that it's difficult for "technical reasons".   Hard to tell what that means, but other folks seem to manage it fine.

(Also, this is not a problem most will have, but I have both MS Store and Steam installs of the game, and it doesn't bother to ask which one I want to install to, or maybe install it to both; it just drops it into the Steam install even though that's not the main one I use.   But I accept that this is a very particular problem and don't blame them for that... aside from the simple fact that it wouldn't be an issue at all if I could install in any location.)

Once you get it installed, though, and then moved into the place you really want it, the plane itself is really good.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 1

My PA-28 Turbo Arrow IV nosedives when engaging autopilot altitude hold. Anyone else with this issue?

I know the real plane doesnt have altitude hold, but it's convenient and worked fine in the Turbo Arrow III.

2 hours ago, NightOfDreams said:

My PA-28 Turbo Arrow IV nosedives when engaging autopilot altitude hold. Anyone else with this issue?

I know the real plane doesnt have altitude hold, but it's convenient and worked fine in the Turbo Arrow III.

You do need to be reasonably trimmed for straight and level before engaging it.

ALSO -->  the Autopilot in the Arrow has issues if you log out with it still enabled (or crash the aircraft or have a CTD with it still enabled).

No idea why, perhaps the state saving feature is saving data from the previous flight that somehow messes with the autopilot on your next flight.  Basically always turn off the AP before logging out and if you do CFIT or get a CTD with it enabled make sure that that next time you fly in the Arrow you immediately turn it off and then restart the flight.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

Never had the dose dive issue and I'm an habitual and abusive ALT-F4 guy

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

8 minutes ago, styckx said:

Never had the dose dive issue and I'm an habitual and abusive ALT-F4 guy

I get it all the time if I log out with Autopilot engaged.

The other thing that messes up AP in the Arrow is if you are lazy and do not set the Altimeter with Live Weather.   Basically the AP takes the desired height from your Altimeter but uses your actual height corrected for barometric pressure to work out what height you are actually at. Hence if the altimeter height is reading a 1000' high it will take the gauge reading as your desired height and then try and dive down a 1000' which usually also immediately disengages the AP..

That said, I pretty much just fly the Turbo III these days ( I like the blue dash) so it may be a IV bug I am unaware of as well.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

7 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

You do need to be reasonably trimmed for straight and level before engaging it.

ALSO -->  the Autopilot in the Arrow has issues if you log out with it still enabled (or crash the aircraft or have a CTD with it still enabled).

No idea why, perhaps the state saving feature is saving data from the previous flight that somehow messes with the autopilot on your next flight.  Basically always turn off the AP before logging out and if you do CFIT or get a CTD with it enabled make sure that that next time you fly in the Arrow you immediately turn it off and then restart the flight.

Thanks for the tips. Last night I set proper pitch trim and it still nosedived. I wasnt aware of the issue caused by closing MSFS with AP enabled. Pretty sure I've consistently turned off AP after each flight but I'll be more aware of this.

Other people are having the same problem after the recent update:

https://community.justflight.com/topic/2353/autopilot-tried-to-kill-me