Sign in to follow this  
Nicoli

Steam Edition Disappointment

Hey Guys!

Some may know my situation with my desktop FSX, which i had on my computer since 2007.

Well it was accidentally overwritten by installing FSX deluxe, now  i can't access FSX on my desktop.

Someone advised me to purchase steam addition which i did, went on my first flight last night in over two months, man did it feel good.

17 minutes into the flight from KLAX to PHNL the sim restarted, wow that was a great disappointment to say the lease.

Don't know what happened and I'm tired of researching solutions to these problems, looks like I'm being forced to get P3D.

Getting P3D might mean i won't be able to use any of my old FSX aircraft which i love, simviation aircraft has P3D in the description of the plane.

Does that mean those aircraft are P3D compatible?

Anyway I'm sad that steam has let me down, thanks for all your help finding a solution to my FSX problem.

My advise to you is to not invest more in sims that are even more demanding than FSX.  Your system dates back rather far (2007) and may not be up to the task.  I use FSX-SE on a modest three-year-old system and it runs beautifully.  As much as I would like to have P3d or MSFS,  I would not trust that my computer could handle either or those sims, so I am avoiding the expense and aggrevation of either of those upgrades.  I have being use FSX-SE for over four years without difficulty.  With add-ons, it runs and looks terrific and I like how Steam does away with the disks that standard old FSX uses. 

That said, there is quite a bit of adding-on that needs to be done to FSX.  You will have to get apps for weather, DX-10 Fixer, and others.  You should have Chase Plane.  The list goes on.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:55 PM, Nicoli said:

17 minutes into the flight from KLAX to PHNL the sim restarted, wow that was a great disappointment to say the lease.

I wouldn't base your decision on that alone. FSX in whatever form is a very sturdy product out-of-the box. It is impossible to say what caused that to happen, but it might not even have been FSX that caused it.

Forked Tail has made some good suggestions about add-ons, but my advice would be to get your FSX configuration settings as you like them and use the game for a while before adding things to make sure all is running well.

Most add-ons run well with FSX-SE but I also believe most issues people have with FSX are caused by add-ons.

John

• Upvote 1

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Was this perhaps just a simulated aircraft crash, something that can be disabled in the settings?

So FSX:SE shut down by itself without any explanation?  Well it could have been just that one flight - it does happen even in the most powerful computer running it.  Consider saving your flight at every waypoint, or get FSUIPC version 4 and use its payware feature to auto-save your progress.  I am using P3D v.5 now but still love FSX:SE for the years of enjoyment it gave me.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

18 minutes ago, TextRich said:

So FSX:SE shut down by itself without any explanation?

That does not seem to be what was written.

17 minutes into the flight from KLAX to PHNL the sim restarted,

If FSX:SE was bad, everybody that has it would be disappointed.  As you can see, that's not the case.  If you don't figure out what's the problem before branching in another direction, it's likely you will bring the problem with you.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

4 hours ago, Reader said:

That does not seem to be what was written.

I consider an automated restart to involve an automated shutdown of the application.  🙂

Edited by TextRich

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

FSX-SE cannot do that but it can and does reload the default flight when simulating an aircraft crash.

Steam Version is very stable and Dovetail added most of the cfg tweaks so it can be pretty much enjoyed out of the box.

Every crash I've had with FSXSE was from specific addons the base vanilla sim has never crashed on me

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 6/15/2021 at 10:55 AM, Nicoli said:

Hey Guys!

Some may know my situation with my desktop FSX, which i had on my computer since 2007.

Well it was accidentally overwritten by installing FSX deluxe, now  i can't access FSX on my desktop.

Someone advised me to purchase steam addition which i did, went on my first flight last night in over two months, man did it feel good.

Don't know what happened and I'm tired of researching solutions to these problems, looks like I'm being forced to get P3D.

Getting P3D might mean i won't be able to use any of my old FSX aircraft which i love, simviation aircraft has P3D in the description of the plane.

Does that mean those aircraft are P3D compatible?

Anyway I'm sad that steam has let me down, thanks for all your help finding a solution to my FSX problem.

Normally when FSX crashes like you said could be a number of reasons from your hardware being overtaxed to scenery problem. Is the problem reproducible? Or is it random. What addons are you using? I've been running FSX Steam for some time and have not had it crash like that. It's very stable. P3D newer versions require a more powerful PC hardware. Try unchecking your addons a try the same flight again. Check PC temperatures.

Regards

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Although the author has not returned to answer any of the posts trying to help out, I can't help wondering if this is not FSX crashing at all, as that is not what is written in the OP. I suspect that the only way for FSX to "restart" is in the way that it simulates an aircraft crash. Otherwise, it does not restart after a crash to desktop, but needs to be restarted, something different.

Edited by Reader

Im on MSFS now but I wanted to jump in here and say that FSX:SE gave me years of fun and it is very stable. Any CTDs I had were related to some 3rd party plane or scenery. 

OP - I recommend you uninstall all versions of FSX that you have. Use a 3rd party uninstaller to clean out the registry entries. Then do a clean install of FSX:SE

Even better (If you have the time and have all data backed up): download the Win 10 Media Creation Tool onto a USB and do  factory fresh install of Windows. Will start you from a clean state and fix a host of issues. Its also very quick to do. 

• Like 1