Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Last two weeks were miserable.

I finally got my PC back from the Manufacturer, with a new GPU and PSU, and two hour flight went without a hitch. Flying P3D after flying MSFS for about 4 months was beyond horrible. Nothing to look at, boring, boring , boring. I flew tonight on a flight I used to do in real life from KFLL to KEYW, and it was beautiful. The Seminole I flew had been updated today, don't know what the update was about, but it flew great. 😉

Now I have my Credit card ready and waiting for the DC6. 

• Like 20

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yup, while I have P3Dv4.5 on my PC, its time to nuke it (and all that payware)...there are only two sims worth keeping in my view MS2020 and XP, each with its own pluses and minuses.

I think these days one has to look at a sim as investment for the day, like a game of golf, spend $50 to $100 on a round of golf, the money's gone, can't get it back.  Had some entertainment for awhile and look forward to the next round of golf.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Ive often wondered about going 'back' as it were, but i think my expectations would fit your descriptions appropriately...disappointment..

I nuked both off my sim the day MSFS came out and haven't looked back...

Good to hear the feedback though, things will only get better for this sim i am sure...still early days in the sims life eh

Cheers

• Like 2

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

Been with MSFS since day one and loving it

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I finally got my PC back from the Manufacturer, with a new GPU and PSU, and two hour flight went without a hitch. Flying P3D after flying MSFS for about 4 months was beyond horrible. Nothing to look at, boring, boring , boring. I flew tonight on a flight I used to do in real life from KFLL to KEYW, and it was beautiful. The Seminole I flew had been updated today, don't know what the update was about, but it flew great. 😉

Now I have my Credit card ready and waiting for the DC6. 

Good to hear Bob. If I may ask - with what GPU was the old one replaced with ?.

Happy flying !!

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

Glad to hear you got your PC back Bob, and I hope it is stable now!

I kept P3D around for a while, but when I got my new rig in April none of that content came over. I had not launched P3D since sometime in October. I really enjoyed that platform for 7 years and got a lot out of it but I am happy with MSFS now and the direction it is going.

The DC6 is going to be a good first test of the capacity of the simulator. It does not have a lot of glass and sophisticated avionics but there is a lot going on in the background for everything to work, including failures, so I am looking forward to seeing how it performs. 

Excited for the weekend! And the learning curve will probably keep me engaged at least until the 737 arrives!

Edited by Cognita
  • Like 1

Dan Scott

I also had both installed. Since i didn't touch P3D for months I just uninstalled it... and I had 10+ years of addons for P3D (and FSX and FS2004 before). I thought it would be harder to leave all this behind but it really wasn't. I had good times but it's time to move on.

• Like 1

Got to agree.

P3D + AS + Rex Environment Pro +  SkyForce 3D + Chaseplane + FFPS + Orbx base, regions and airports (loads) +  Envshade Shaders + FSUIPC = GTN 750 + FSTramp (also works with MSFS). A lot

MSFS  - not a lot . I do have FSUIPC and FSTramp and a few Orbx and other airports and the free PMS50 GTN and lots of other freebees. That's it.

Never reinstalled P3D since a total reinstall late last year.

Lost investment. Nah - games of golf. Enjoyed them, moved on.

I don't see really Flight sim as an investment - like say actually learning to fly may be for some, it's just enjoyment (sans CTDs and other update and system rubbish). For me it would have to be money I can afford to lose - like entertainment - and maybe gambling??  

• Like 3

I also had about 20 years of addons for the old sims collected before moving on the MSFS. I dont miss any of them, really. The new sim already comes with a bunch of stuff that needed an addon in the old days. Some addons even work cross plattform, like spad.next. 

I dont like getting a bunch of scenery addons for MSFS because a) it looks great already, and b) it might become incompatible due to the high rate of updates. I do have a few airport addons for my favorite airports. All in all MSFS has been pretty good to my wallet. 🙂

• Like 3

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

5 hours ago, SAPilot said:

Good to hear Bob. If I may ask - with what GPU was the old one replaced with ?.

Happy flying !!

Nvidia 3060 replaced   RX 5600   XT

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I also had both installed. Since i didn't touch P3D for months I just uninstalled it... and I had 10+ years of addons for P3D (and FSX and FS2004 before). I thought it would be harder to leave all this behind but it really wasn't. I had good times but it's time to move on.

Yeah, that's me. P3D with a full suite of PMDG, Orbx, Carenado, etc...and enough tweaks to hack NASA. But once I settled into MSFS, it was all over. I went back a few times to revel in the immersion of the PMDG stuff and enjoy the AIG AI world but the world was just too bland, too flat compared to the new sim. Asobo has a long way to go to work out the inherent kinks and weirdnesses of MSFS but I feel confident it'll happen (although progress in a sim you fly every day is never fast enough). The melting apocalypse scenery is a turn off for me as an example so I just keep photogrammetry turned off. For me, the big moment will be when we can get full scale real world AI which makes flying the heavies worth the time and money. For now, I'll be happy with the TBM and Working Title mods and the JF Arrow. Also was never much of a VFR guy in P3D but it's really worth the learning curve on MSFS because everything just looks dang nice at low altitude.  🤠

Brian

• Like 2

Brian MacMillan

Intel i7-7700@3.6GHz-16GB /GTX 1070-8GB/MSI B250M Bazooka  

Ha my sentiments exactly. Did the same thing and flew a flight in P3D and while getting back to a premium airliner (Ngxu)  was great, the ugliness around makes you gag. Like being transported back to a 2010 game over again.   I have alot invested in P3D, but its long in the tooth  now as the saying goes.  Some things you invest in you cant hold on forever when it doesn't make sense.  I am contemplating completely ditching it, but the TFDI MD-11 may bring me back if only for a short time period until its ported to MSFS, then P3D is gone for good.   It did its job for the past 10 years. Served me well with a ton of flight hours.  Time to move on and welcome next gen. 

• Like 4

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

After over a year away from flight simming, I got a rush of blood to the head and pulled the trigger on MSFS. It's not perfect by any means, and I think removing the existing views system was a major backwards step, but otherwise it's very impressive, and even the default aircraft exceeded my expectations. And I can get icing, updrafts, turbulence without needing any add-ons. 

I sank a lot (far too much) money into FSX and P3D but that's the past. I've resolved in the future to be more picky about about what I buy and why I'm buying it. What helps a great deal is the MSFS scenery being good enough out of the box. On my humble I5-6600k with GTX 1060 I can get +/- 30 FPS over Manhattan (if I go for low setting optimised by nVidia), and 50-60 FPS in the countryside. Sure the textures aren't as good but (a) you still get all the buildings (when close enough) and (b) the streets and buildings layout actually makes sense - no more office blocks built across main roads, etc. On a recent flight I flew over my own town, I not only found my house but lots of other recognisable landmarks - not by looking for them; I just happened to spot them while flying around. Even with incorrect textures the combination of a building's footprint and its juxtaposition with the road network makes it quickly recognisable. 

Yes there are rough edges and lots of work still to do, but to return to P3D would seem too much of a step backwards. I'm happy to do a "Year Zero" on my flying and stick to some back-to-basics work in a 152/172 while the developers sort out the fancier stuff, do some more optimising, and while I put together a budget for more capable hardware. There's no rush, since Asobo have really put the "V" back into VFR.

Other positives:

• It may be just me but the sky seems "bigger" in MSFS.
  • Night lighting of towns and cities looks much better.
  • Other aircraft are much easier to spot, even without a label.
  • Aircraft lights look like real-life aircraft lights. In FSX/P3D they were often as dim as a dying star at the edge of the observable universe. In MSFS they are bright and prominent enough to catch the eye they way they would in reality. On another of my "stress-test flights" in cloudy weather I saw the lights of aircraft queuing up on final approach to SEA-TAC - very impressive. 
  • The flight model seems to have dispensed with the "flying on rails" feeling I used to notice in FSX/P3D. Now the aircraft is rarely completely still and feels a lot more like X-Plane.

I'm impressed. I'm also "lucky" in not having a lot of simming time at the moment, so the updates, improvements and fixes can be happening in the background rather than me waiting with bated breath for them.

Well done Asobo, just make sure you keep it up... 🙂

Edited by Holdit
  • Like 1