Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

PMDG DC-6 to be released on Friday, June 18th

You are right, the cabin is not that important.

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

6 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

In economics, for a general demand curve for a normal product, the higher the price of the product, the lower the demand.  However, there are some weird situations for premium products where the demand increases when the company raises the price of the product.  This applies especially for fashion products where some companies will not lower the price of the fashion product too much if they are targeting the premium market (ie. dresses, jeans, etc).

<econ-nerdery>Just because I love that this concept has a name, these are called Veblen goods.</econ-nerdery>.

That's all.   Carry on with the regularly scheduled catfights.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

I was a bit surprised about the lack of quality high-res textures in the cabin in the recent stream about the DC-6. Are they still working on that?

I have yet to pilot an aircraft from the cabin. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

10 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have yet to pilot an aircraft from the cabin. 

OK. What's that got to do with my question?

2 hours ago, united001 said:

Here's my thought on PMDG and the price of the impending DC-6. Maybe this isn't the perfect comparison, but since the thread has bantered about names like Ferrari. Many have said that when you buy a Mercedes Benz or BMW vehicle, a part of what you pay for is the "prestige" of owning something expensive with those logos. Same with PMDG, at least in my mind. PMDG doubtlessly over the years is the top of the add-on heap. I adored their FSX add-ons. Loved them, used them all to the max. They are the M. Benz and BMW of our flight sim world.

A premium for “prestige” only works if I can show it off to others.  My neighbors are less impressed if I have a PMDG aircraft installed  on my computer than a fire red Ferrari sitting in my driveway.  That analogy falls apart with software.  I think pricing will align with the level of quality, and my guess is it will be around $65.  The real money will be made on their 737, and a slightly lower price can introduce new simmers to PMDG and give them reason to shell out $140 for the Boeing.

Edited by Gilandred
  • Like 5

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

I annoyed a few people in the earliest days of MSFS by stating I wanted the option of paying a premium price for premium aircraft.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

30 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

My neighbors are less impressed if I have a PMDG aircraft installed  on my computer

LOL, my wife is even less impressed then my neighbors.😏

• Like 1

Vic green

3 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

LOL, my wife is even less impressed then my neighbors.😏

Hehe my wife met Rob at the 2018 Vegas convention, so she "acts" impressed when I show her a new paint I've done on a bird associated with his company, but she's not really impressed, she's just being polite. 🤣

She said what would impress her instead of me flying a 747 to Tahiti in P3D, is to recreate a "real" flight to Tahiti, where her and I were in the "real" cabin, sipping "real" mojitos....🤔
I didn't get it....how could she not be impressed with me flying a virtual 747 to Tahiti?  Women. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 8

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

27 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I annoyed a few people in the earliest days of MSFS by stating I wanted the option of paying a premium price for premium aircraft.

Hook

And you did right.   

As a contrarian, I would argue that the worst that could happen to this hobby is PMDG starting to sell its birds cheaper. We need a couple of companies anchoring the high-end segment with premium price and premium quality. 

Cheaper prices will inexorably mean lesser quality. The 6 should be a little cheaper than the jets because it does not include the failure simulation. 

I'd better have a very good aircraft even if it means that I can only buy one once in a very while because of the price.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

This is what I have been waiting for, I love vintage airliners and will definitely be buying the DC6 regardless of the price. 😄

• Like 5

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

Interesting. The Aerosoft CRJ is $50. I thought that was a very good price for a really good aircraft. I also reasoned that that price signaled the sweet spot for premium aircraft in MSFS --- around $50-$60. We'll see come Friday. My prediction for the DC-6: $60

Whatever it is, I'm into it.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

June 18th? It's also the 206th anniversary of Waterloo...Coincidence? 😝

Seriously, I am excited for what will be my first PMDG plane...not really an airliner guy, but the A2A Connie was brilliant and this seems like it might be a similar experience.

• Like 1

I have never bought anything from PMDG par their B1900D years and years ago. I have never even been tempted. But now it is possible, at least if the price is right.

• Like 1

On a different note, I am making my way to pick up the old bird. Flying from ENCN Norway to KPDX Portland USA in the WT CJ4. I'm flying to Iceland tonight, and then doing the rest tomorrow and friday. Should coinside nicely with the release 😄

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78