Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

Historical Air Routes, Europe to Rio De Janeiro?

Looking for online material on aircraft & airlines  that flew Europe to Rio, roughly between 1900 & 1970.

I think there was one at some stage that went from Paris to Casablanca, Casablanca to Rio. Possibly served by Flying Boats?

Searching so far tends to throw up today's flights.😀

Thanks

T45

Edited by Treetops45
  • Like 1

Well, if you're talking about the 1930s-1940s, then flying boats wouldn't have had the range for a Casablanca to Rio flight. 

Most likely they flew to the United States and then from there one would get a flight down to South America.

Dave

• Like 2

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

If it's specifically Air France routes for Paris - Rio you're looking for:

This is from 1937 showing a number of stopovers along the African coast

air-france-carte-du-reseau-aerien-mondia

4afbe52ce7029ce44cb753451b18b6d9.jpg

And this one from 1956 (with the Super Constellation and Vickers Viscount) affiche-ancienne-de-voyage-de-lucien-bou

These all appear to use Dakar in Senegal as the springboard for the last leg across the South Atlantic with the older routes landing in Natal before continuing on to Rio.

Cheers

Mallard

Edited by Mallard
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In 1933 Lufthansa startet flights across the South Atlantic via Bathurst (today: Banjul, Gambia) to Natal (Brazil) with Dornier Wal Flying Boats. The distance was 3040 km. Flight time going west was 14 hours, going east 12,5 hours. Sometimes the start was supported by catapult on the deck of the vessel "Westfalen".

This info with many more details are from the book "Flugbuch Atlantik"; German language.

Good luck with your research.

RĂźdiger

• Like 2

Ruediger von Oehsen

Win11Pro - i9 10900KF - RTX3090

The pre-WW II Luft Hansa (as it was back then) flights were almost exclusively an air mail service... They also used airships on that route.

Lots about that on

https://flughafenbb.com/1919-1945/sudamerika/

Which is mainly in German, but has quite a number of illustrations with remarks in English.

Cheers

Mallard

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Air France launched its Concorde service to Rio de Janeiro via Dakar in January 1976. Details here. I appreciate it’s outside your dates but useful nevertheless perhaps.

https://www.heritageconcorde.com/concorde-first-scheduled-services

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather