Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Vista 32 or 64

>> I recently read and article re: Vista and gaming and not>>only did it not perform well but there still are issues with>>obtaining correct drivers for many different hardware>devices.>>>>That's par for the course for OS releases going back years>though.>>> As an example XP will let you use any driver you care to>use>>whereas Vista will only allow you to use Windows or WHQL>certified>>drivers.>>>>Wow, is that so? Man that is not good, hopefully that will>change. So, you are saying that I could not use, for example,>a tweaked vid driver that's not WHQL cert'ed?>>If so, that is no good at all.>>>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD>250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case At this point in time you would not be able to use a tweaked driver that's not certified. Craig

And probably never if the insanity surrounding Vista continues. Big brother, indeed, is watching...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest iwantmydc3

NIETHER! Stick with XP Pro for at LEAST six months (a year is probably better. This will allow (1) widely availabe stable generic drivers to be out there (2) probably a service pack. Keep in mind many of your applications may not work especially security and utilities. This will NOT be like going from Windows 98 to XP this is a rewritten OS with different ways of handling memory, users, applications, and security. That's a big reason why I've been advising everyone to wait, ESPECIALLY as far as an upgrade. If you MUST have Vista when it's out at least get a new machine with it preinstalled-less headaches than the "upgrade."I predict that on 02/01/07 these boards will be full of threads about problems. Don't do it!Vista?Don't want it.Don't need it.Don't Care!

Guest FALC

To quote Gypsy Baron from a differnt post to this one.quote...Not a snoballs chance in ####...As a matter of fact, I believe I'll purchase anther copyor two of XP Pro.I am of the mind set that what I do with my computer andon my computer is my business and I don't want M$ tryingto dictate how I use my computer any more thatn it alreadydoes with XP.I don't need, nor do I want, any of the pretty bells & whistlesjust as I didn't want or need them with XP. My XP desktop andfolder setup looks just like those on my #3 & # 4 machines thatare still running Win98SE and Win95.I don't need the additional BLOAT of Vista. I now have 2GB or ramon my #1 machine and that suffices to run FSX at a satisfactorylevel.I am adamantly against DRM in any form and won't purchase Vistaas long as that is built in...which translates to "I shall neverpurchase Vista"!unquoteAll I can add to that is Double Ditto. Why in *** would I want Vistawhen everything I have works just fine. I dont need the bloatwareand I certainly dont need the spyware. As for DX10 phhhhht.

Guest Rayed

>> As an example XP will let you use any driver you care to>use>>whereas Vista will only allow you to use Windows or WHQL>certified>>drivers.>>>>Wow, is that so? Man that is not good, hopefully that will>change. So, you are saying that I could not use, for example,>a tweaked vid driver that's not WHQL cert'ed?>>If so, that is no good at all.No you cannot.More than that, in the certain situations on Vista running certified drivers and hardware (and you have to run those) you may have your hardware shut down forcibly by MS, and/or drivers "un-certified" by MS (yes they can revoke certification remotely and the driver will stop working, unless your PC is not connected to internet and you do not upgrade anything), so your $600 gfx card or 24" wide monitor may suddenly go dead (no certified driver), because MS says so.Vista is the biggest POS in OS history ever. In my opinion anyone who installs it without being forced to do so, is a fool.Not to mention that Vista does squat for FSX performance and will never do anything maybe except slowing it down even more.

>>> As an example XP will let you use any driver you care to>>use>>>whereas Vista will only allow you to use Windows or WHQL>>certified>>>drivers.>>>>>>>Wow, is that so? Man that is not good, hopefully that will>>change. So, you are saying that I could not use, for>example,>>a tweaked vid driver that's not WHQL cert'ed?>>>>If so, that is no good at all.>>No you cannot.>>More than that, in the certain situations on Vista running>certified drivers and hardware (and you have to run those) you>may have your hardware shut down forcibly by MS, and/or>drivers "un-certified" by MS (yes they can revoke>certification remotely and the driver will stop working,>unless your PC is not connected to internet and you do not>upgrade anything), so your $600 gfx card or 24" wide monitor>may suddenly go dead (no certified driver), because MS says>so.>>Vista is the biggest POS in OS history ever. In my opinion>anyone who installs it without being forced to do so, is a>fool.>>Not to mention that Vista does squat for FSX performance and>will never do anything maybe except slowing it down even>more. I'm not sure about MS being able to forcibly shutdown hardware but I'm researching it. As far as the driver situation there appears to be a way around it. This is from an article available here: http://clevershark.com/?p=1455 Apparently (at least for 32 bit) you are able to get around the driver signing issue by pressing F8 during boot. I still won't be running out to purchase and install Vista. I'm not using all the pretty graphics and crap on XP cause I don't need it. To bad MS doesn't publish FS for Mac...then I might get a new OS. And yes I know you can get boot camp. Craig

Hi Tim ( or George ).Does FSX still use 32-bit memory limits ( 4GB ) when run under a 64-bit OS? If so, there might not be any advantage for running the current FSX under Vista.... I know Vista has a 32-bit version, but what would be the advantage of that over WindowsXP? Dick

>I have a Dell XPS 410 E6700 4G ram and the 24In wide screen.>Monday I will have a new 550w Power Supply, a Nvidia 8800 GTX>and Vista Utlimate installed. Should I go with the 32bit or>the 64bit for>FSX. Why would you want to "rent" an OS as in Vista when you can actually own an OS as in XP ? If you like the fact that you can't use unsigned drivers and that MS can actually revoke driver usage rights then by all means go for it. If Steve Jobs coded the Apple OS so it would work with any PC I would by it tomorrow and dual boot with XP. Anyone ever wonder why he hasn't done that?? Craig

@FTD1949: We all get it: MS is evil and bad.Their only intention is to plague us with blue screens and buggy software. But yet everyone in here uses FS9/FSX and runs a Microsoft OS. It's almost seems that using MS software is a guilty treat, like fast food, sex or alcohol - but everyone does it anyway.Only the uneducated claim loudly that it's all bells and whistels without any improvements or purpose and take their sources from third party websites without having an idea of the facts.Gets kinda old.

>We all get it: MS is evil and bad.>>Their only intention is to plague us with blue screens and>buggy software. But yet everyone in here uses FS9/FSX and runs>a Microsoft OS. It's almost seems that using MS software is a>guilty treat, like fast food, sex or alcohol - but everyone>does it anyway.>>Gets kinda old. Well as I see it there isn't much of a choice if you want to run MSFS. Enjoy your copy of Vista.

12:01am tonight. My last day of freedom and liberty until MS sucks all my data onto their corporate servers and empties my bank account so that Bill Gates can open another orphanage in Africa.

Since apparently you'll be using Vista very soon I wonder if you would be kind enought to provide a link for Vista drivers for your Nvidia card. Windows Certified signed drivers. Craig

Didn't know they even a Vista driver. Thanks for letting me know that. The question is: You have a great system. I too am running AMD and Nvidia with XP. I have for the most part used drivers available from Guru which have been tweaked and from my understanding that won't be possible anymore.