Sign in to follow this  
ozcanuck55

Canadian Pacific DC-8 CP-CPG

From this excellent site:

http://cpair.blogspot.com/2007/03/fleet-douglas-dc-8s.html

ACtC-3cP7vQKhm5njSwBe3v35Ya55Undp1v7K_yZ

Canadian Pacific Airlines (CPAL), the predecessor to CP Air, took delivery of its first DC8-43 on February 22 1961 followed by three more examples in April, May and November of the same year.

Interesting to note, CF-CPG the forth DC8-43 delivered to CPAL, was the first commercial aircraft to exceed the speed of sound when it was being tested by Douglas prior to its delivery to CPAL on August 21 1961. During the test flight to confirm performance data on the new 4 percent leading edge, the DC-8-43 flew faster than the speed of sound. It occurred during a shallow dive over the Askania tracking range at Edwards Air Force Base, California, and was the first time a commercial jet airliner ever exceeded Mach 1.0.This feat was not repeated until a Russian Tu-144 exceeded Mach 1.0 on June 5, 1969, followed by the prototype Anglo-French Concorde on October 1, 1969. The 130th DC-8 to be built, destined to become CF-CPG of Canadian Pacific Air Lines, bore the Douglas test registration N9604Z at the time. The 52,090-foot altitude was also a record for commercial jet airliners at the time. This historic flight remains the only supersonic flight achieved by an airliner other than Concorde and the Tu-144. To commemorate the event, a small plaque was affixed to a bulkhead in CF-CPG. Sadly, after nearly 19 years of service with CPA, this historic aircraft was sold for scrap on March 17, 1980, having accumulated some 70,567 hours during 24,268 flights.

Also interesting is that ( from his log books), my father flew CP-CPG many times from YVR to HNL in the late 60's. I went with him on one occasion, as the 2 day layover made for a nice beach holiday at Waikiki. I got to sit in the 3rd ( Navigator) seat when we landed back in YVR. What a great experience!

• Like 2

Dude I lived in Hawaii in the late 60's dad was a Marine there and I was like 3 years old

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 12:13 PM, Todd2 said:

Dude I lived in Hawaii in the late 60's dad was a Marine there and I was like 3 years old

I always liked Fort DeRussy Park...it had grass and shade if it got too hot!